Tuesday, 5 August 2008

Cool Coasters

This morning, a whole day at home stretched ahead of me, yipee, and I eagerly dived into my "den" for a spot of crafting.  I felt it was time to create something else from that fab book "Last Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts" and thought the quilted coasters project would be nice and easy and leave me with something useful too.  I used scraps of various Cath Kidston cotton duck fabrics I had left over from all the sewing I did for the cottage last year.  I had a result in that most of these scraps came from two bags I bought at Cath K's outlet store at Bicester which were chock full of different offcuts for about £8 per bag.  The lady behind the desk informed me I was lucky as they don't often have these and they have been brilliant for making small things like cushions, napkins, lavender hearts, covered coat hangers etc.

As is not unusual with me, I got rather carried away and once I had each piece of fabric out, I reasoned I may as well cut out several pieces and in all, I ended up making 20 coasters!  I used a remnant of the cotton batting I had bought for the quick and easy baby quilt I made a few weeks ago, to sandwich inside the coasters.  The fiddliest bit was getting the batting inside the partly sewn-up fabric square.  I eventually realised this was easier if I folded back the top edges of the outer fabric so that I could reach inside to flatten out the batting.  Anyway, I am very pleased with the result...





I then went the whole hog and made them up into little packages to give some as gifts.  I made the little tags by sticking some note paper from a Cath Kidston correspondence set onto card then punching through a hole for the ribbon.  I put a Cath K sticker from the set on the reverse and wrote washing instructions.  I love faffing round doing things like this! I've wrapped up a set for my sister and the rest I'll keep for other birthdays/Christmas etc.






We shall take some to the cottage and you may have spotted a few made with Cath K cowboy fabric for Harry (whose whole bedroom at the cottage is a shrine to cowboys!)  That will have to be the subject of another post...

1 comment:

  1. Wow, those are really really cute. I'm so inspired. I think I'll try to make some this weekend myself. I especially love your roses and cowboys fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X