Wednesday, 13 August 2008


I always love reading what fellow bloggers have found at car boot fairs and charity shops. Last Sunday, we braved the unpredictable weather to visit the boot fair in Yeovil.  I think lots of sellers had been put off by the weather but we still managed a few finds...

I admit, I have quite a collection of embroidered tablecloths now but I just can't resist them. Maybe one day I will need them if I ever do set up my dream tearoom!  These three were 50p each, amazing when you consider the work that has gone into them and what you would pay for a modern printed tablecloth.  I buy them thinking I might make them into cushions but I inevitably cannot bring myself to cut them up!

I've yet to wash them and get them ready for my next tea party.  Judging by the wind and rain outside, I won't be doing that today!

Then I found these old patterns.  

There was a whole stack of them, mainly about embroidery, some about sewing. I picked a selection. The seller told me they came from an elderly relative and they were selling other miscellaneous balls of wool and sewing bits and pieces. They are so reminiscent of that '50's era when women tended to stay at home and produce all sorts of beautiful handicrafts (including those embroidered tablecloths, of course).  Have a look inside...

Then I picked up these old books of cigarette cards.

I've always liked these cards and have some framed in our bedroom at the cottage.  The books bear their original price of 1 penny.  A couple of them are unfortunately not quite complete.   Like many of my thrifty finds, I've no idea what I'm going to do with them but the seller seemed keen for me to take them for a bargain price - so I did!  The book of dog cards even has a Cath Kidston-esque Stanley inside!

Not a bad haul!  Cheerio for now.


  1. Oh Hen what absolutely delicious finds, you did very well :-)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment.

    Donna x

  2. Love your blog. Will back often.


  3. Hi there...what a lovely blog ;-)
    I also have an ever growing collection of vintage embroidery!
    I love yours.
    Like your Etsy shop too..I see you're an Amy Butler fan!!


You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X