Monday, 1 September 2008

Crafty Child

Luckily, when I say "crafty child", I'm not (this time) referring to anything mischievous but rather the Munchkin's recent forays into the creative world.  The long Summer holiday inevitably gives rise to a need for a bit of extra thought in terms of keeping a small person entertained for 6 weeks.  Pushing little wooden trains round a track is really not my thing so I had stockpiled a few "crafty" projects which I thought the small one might like.  I often come across interesting tutorials whilst I'm reading others blogs and I have a file full of projects which I'm sure I'll get round to one day!




A while back, I found this very cute owl tutorial on Anna Maria Horner's blog and thought the Munchkin might like to give it a go.  



I printed out an extra set of instructions, pasted it onto card and then cut out the pieces so that the Munchkin could draw round them and cut out his owls.  He had fun choosing the colours of felt and raiding my scrap basket for bits to add to owl's eyes and wings.  We started our owls weeks ago. Jack Ginger was eager to err, help...



We went to our local sewing shop where he chose buttons for the eyes.  He always wants to choose buttons so it was good that this time, he really had a purpose behind his visit to the shop (where he has been many, many times!)  Back from our little holiday and with three days to go until school starts, we decided to finish Mr Owl this morning.  Jacky-Ginge has obviously been missing us and was not going to be left out!  The Munchkin is here let loose in my beads and sequins box...



Then he had to choose a bit of ribbon for the hanging loop.  Decisions, decisions...



With a bit of help from mum with the blanket stitching, he enjoyed stuffing the inside and then, Mr Owl was finished!  One very happy boy...




Now he's gone off to his bedroom armed with a cardboard shoe box to make Mr Owl a nest...

1 comment:

  1. HI there - just found you via Petticoat lane and looking forward to reading your posts as its looks like a lovely blog!! We printed that owl project out but as per my latest blog post we didnt really get round to doing much over the summer hols but yours looks fab
    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X