Wednesday, 22 October 2008


A little of the above is in order here at HenHouse blogworld and so that's exactly what I'm going to do today with aplogies to all those who thought I was ignoring them or had forgotten, oh no!

Ages ago, Deb of the gorgeous This Vintage Life tagged me to reveal 6 quirky/interesting/unusual things about myself.  Oh dear!  Now I have been mulling over this in spare moments for a while and clearly, I am not that quirky as I haven't come up with much!

1)   I used to be a lawyer.  I was called to the Bar in 2000 and then worked in a big city law firm for 7 years.  Then I met my other half (through work, so at least one good thing came of it!) and the following year, decided to have a 6 month break.  I never went back!  Hurrah!

2 )  I have had arthritis since I was 15.  I have a bionic finger on my left hand, ie. I have had the middle joint replaced with a plastic one.  And no, it didn't work and now hampers my attempts at crochet.  Grrrrr.

3)  I am one of four girls, that is I have 3 sisters, all of whom are loads older than me.  When I was born, my parents apparently cried because I was not a boy.  I won't hold it against them (much)...

4)  I detest reptile-type creatures.  I cannot bear frogs, toads, lizards.  If I see a picture of them, my skin crawls.  As my other half has noted, I only like things that are furry (eg. cats and candlewicks, not mould)!

Struggling now...

5)  I think I have OCD!  I am one of those people who is very tidy and feels out of control when all around me is not tidy.  I just don't understand how people can be untidy?!  The loo roll always has to hang with the paper over the front (I will change it in other people's houses, awful, I know);  my jars in the cupboards have to be lined up with labels to the front etc and all the same flavours of jam or chutney must be together; each set of cutlery (fork, spoon etc) has to be in its own slot in the drawer but always in 2 piles of 3 of each item; the towels must always be folded just so and with the (usually Cath Kidston) label to the front bottom right hand corner.  I know, it's sad.  And no, nobody else in the HenHouse ever  does any of these things anyway.

6) Oooh dear.  Can't think of anything.  I am a bit of an "all or nothing" person.  When I decide I want to do something, I get a bit obsessive and research everything about it and throw myself into it whole heartedly...until...I burn out and get fed up and move onto something else.  But I always have a current "obsession" on the go, as my sister remarked.  Bag making, blogging?  Let's hope I don't actually burn out of that one...

Several lovely fellow bloggers have awarded my little blog awards recently (or maybe not so recently, sorry)!

Kathryn of  Our Shabby Cottage awarded me the "Kreativ Blogger" award and the "Gold Stamp" award.  Kathryn lives down under and sews (and sells) some beautiful items including some cute babushkas.  I know she has recently crafted a pink babushka in support of the breast cancer charity,  McGrath Foundation, which she is auctioning on eBay.  Details are on her blog.

Secondly, Gillian of iheartcrafts awarded my blog this "Proximidade" or "Friendship around the World" award.  Thanks a lot!  I have indeed got in touch with several bloggers from around the world: America, Canada, Australia, Argentina, Germany, Finland and now, Gillian in Ireland.  What a great thing this blogging is.  Now we all just need a (five star luxury) world tour to visit each other (and buy loads of crafty goodies and oodles of fabric, naturally).

I think that is it and I am so sorry if I have forgotten anything, my brain is not what it used to be!  As I am a bit late and I suspect the tag and awards have done the rounds quite well already, and because I love soooo many blogs (yes dear, that's why the real housekeeping never gets done!), I'm not going to award these to anyone in particular but if you fancy a go at the tag then please feel free to do so and all of your blogs deserve an award, so give yourself one of those too!

Now, time for a few pictures to pretty things up!  I've done a fair bit of sewing recently to restock my little Etsy shop and after a trip to LK Bennett (because I realised I needed some pink shoes, as you do), and LK Bennett being awash with gorgeous satin bejewelled shoes, I was inspired to create some bags with a glamorous party theme.

Satin and lace with some taffeta roses for good measure...

I seem to have amassed a little collection of vintage satin scarves which are just so lovely. I've seen them made into cushions before to great effect and when I looked at this one, I thought those roses were just crying out to adorn a glamorous, '50's debutante-style evening bag. Then I added the vintage brooch, too...

Oriental inspired fabrics, especially those featuring cherry blossoms, have been very popular this year. The fabrics I have imported from Japan have all been cottons but then I came across this gorgeous satin version in one of my fave fabric haunts closer to home. Topped with a silk poppy pin with a vintage button at its centre, it's ready to perk up your lbd...

So, if you have a special occasion coming up, I'd be honoured to think one of my bags might accompany you. I'm always happy to take custom orders so if you have particular colours or styles in mind, feel free to get in touch.

Right, the sun is shining, the Munchkin has an extended day at school because he has an after school club, what shall I do with myself...


  1. What a cool post!
    You and i share the same love of neatness and order!
    I can't bear my house to be out of me the jitters!

    I'm going to de-summer(?) my wardrobe today and sort out my bags!

    I'd love one of your bags Hen....something rosey....
    I'll have to see whats in my spends box!:>)))x

  2. Nice to find out a bit about fellow bloggers isn't it? If those things are what constitute ocd then I've got it too!
    Lovely bags as usual :)
    Deb x
    Ps...Now I know where to come if I'm ever in trouble with the law!

  3. Hey Hen, this is a great post!
    I love your asian enspired bag because I´m a great asian fan. Very lovely :)


  4. Hi Hen, what a co-inky-dink, I've just done a tag on my blog today. I would love to be the perfect housewife, but I'm afraid I'm all or nothing with the housework.

    Your bags are lovely, I'm off to check out your etsy shop now......

  5. Great list - I am one of 7 girls with no boys. By the lst one Mum was desperately hoping it wouldn't be a boy!!! Lovely last post too. The sloes have been poor this year everywhere I think xx

  6. I love your bags, they remind me of the ones my mum would of had in the 1950's...gorgoeus.
    great facts about you, I'm like you in that I get obssesed witht something and then lose interest, its all I will think about and will spend hours searching to find it and then when I do find it I dont want
    I love your little munchkins bedroom, I was lucky to find the CK football wallpaper for my eldest boys room!

    Claire x

  7. Such beautiful bags you are so talented. I am an only child but I have three lovely sons!

  8. I felt quite happy to notice you have some things like me. Unhappily, I'm not tidy, like you, except that bit of the toilet roll .
    I'm not one of four sisters but I have four girls. No, I was not - never - looking for a boy. I hoped for a girl. Everytime.
    I can't stand reptils either. Can't stand them at all.
    I like very much your blog and I'm always pleased when I find that you have a new post. Your things are lovely and I feel good coming here.

    About you having left your work: I wish I had the nerve to do the same. After more that 20 years working outside I'm quite fed up. If was not for the money, I would leave tomorow.


  9. hello! i just found your blog yesterday and am loving it!
    i am #6 too!
    i loooove the yellow clutch!

  10. oo I love these tags, and I too am the youngest of four girls..the 5th child was a boy and he was spoilt rotten..even had a private education..because he's a BOY! pah! (bitter, moi?) anyway it's great to know more about you, I'm afraid that I'm one of those slightly (very) untidy people you mentioned..and I just dont know how it happens either! Well done on the awards and those are just fantastic clutch bags Hen, utterly gorgeous.

  11. Great post, nice to learn all about you.
    Congrats on all of the awards too, you really deserve them, you blog is fabby.

    Oooh and those bags are purty.

  12. Your bags are so yummy - aren't you talented! And fab post. I wish my house was tidy. I do my best, but the kiddies tend to move A to B and I'll move it back to A, then it reappears at B again shortly afterwards. And so the cycle goes on and on. lol!

  13. Great post today Hen. I loved reading and finding a little more about you. Thanks for giving my little "girl" a plug for Breast Cancer too! I LOVE the new bags! You have been busy. Enjoy the extra couple of hours to yourself. Kathryn. XX

  14. Wow, that was really a great post and fun learning more about you. Turns out we have a few things in common. I'm not a lawyer but I've worked as a paralegal for 15 years. And I have had arthritis since I was 17. Fun, isn't it?! Congrats on the awards! Love the new bags too.

  15. I wish I could be tidy, you would have a panic attack if you could see inside my cupboards, everything is rammed in in no particular order.
    Aleays nice to find out a bit about fellow bloggers.
    Love the clutch bags, you clever thing!
    Julia xx


You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X