Thursday, 8 January 2009

Baggy Delight



Remember this?  




I actually started this project before Christmas and it was somewhat sidelined with essential festive cushion making, truffle making, gingerbread making etc etc, you know how it is.  I started on it again the other day, when I posted a little sneak peek of it, but unfortunately my sewing machine went a bit dodgy on me and had to go to the sewing machine hospital so that was that, until I picked the machine up again today.  It seems to be behaving itself, so far...  (am shooting it daggers at this moment.)




This bag is made from a pattern in Anna Maria Horner's book Seams to Me (book review here), named "The Taxi Tote".




This is the first project I've attempted from this book, largely because, as if the book is not fabby enough, a browse of Anna Maria's blog revealed that she had given it a patchworky twist. She had used the hexagonal pattern piece that comes with the ball pattern in the book to make a hexagonal patchworked fabric piece for the front of the bag.  




Well, that was it!  I always love fabric which has big modern flowery prints on it so the chance to make a bag based on the absolute best bits of the same was too much temptation to resist.  I have only ever made myself a couple of bags, despite having made loads for other people.  I've still been using the one I made to take on holiday last April.  I'm sure it was very suitable for the Tropics, possibly not so for gloomy freezing South London in January!  Anyway, I spent ages dallying over cutting out flower hexagons.  It is, unfortunately, quite a wasteful way to treat fabric because you are only cutting out the floral motif which tends to be centred on the fabric, but hey ho!  I found sewing the hexagons together by machine pretty damned difficult (and I won't be doing it again!)  I think hexagon patchworks are usually worked by hand and now I know why!

Anyway, I imagine somewhat like childbirth (just not so painful), that hexagon-y bit is but a distant memory now and I am loving my new bag...




I took it with me to pick the Munchkin up from school, he looked at it and said "Wow, that's fabulous, I wish I could have one!" Now, I was touched he liked it so much but really, does this strike you as suitable for a seven year-old boy? Hmm! I have added a crochet flower to the front. Let's face it, there's not a lot I don't add a crocheted flower to these days!




This particular flower is mega easy and the pattern is from this book:




Inside, my bag has a delicious pink polka dot lining (Tanya Whelan's Grand Revival range) and I have made the pockets to fit my little bits and pieces, with a pocket sized just right for my 'phone, pens etc. I also attached a clip on the end of a length of ribbon so that I can clip my keys onto it as I forever seem to be scrabbling in the bottom of my bag looking for keys.  The ribbon is long enough that the keys will reach to open the front door without me having to unclip them.






Now I'm all set to go somewhere jolly!




44 comments:

  1. Wow now that is gorgeous. I'm with your son. I want one. Actually it's my best friends birthday next month so I may have to be in contact with you soon regarding something beautiful.
    You are so very talented woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE that bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bag is so scrummy I could live in it. Love the key on a ribbon idea too... it reminds me of the mittens on a string threaded through the arms of my coat when I was a little ankle biter.
    So glad you are joining us at the next V&H Fair.
    Keep warm Frances

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool bag....somewhere jolly sounds great.....:>))x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! Left you a comment at STM group on flickr too :)
    xo,Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful bag Hen, I love the ribbon idea... my keys are always at the bottom, why is that?? x

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bag is fabulous :)

    I really have to get my bum in gear and stop being so scared of my machine rather than swooning at beautiful things like this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very glad I stumbled across your blog - and saw this very pretty bag!! It's gorgeous - your crochet is very inspirational too! In this cold weather, finding somewhere jolly sounds brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty...I love your flowers with the pearls added! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep! That's one very fine bag! No need to go any where jolly - just take it with you and transform dreary corners of London with your hex wonderfulness! t.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous bag.....I want one!! You are a very talented lady!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Hen,

    Wow, that's a really beautiful bag - I love the bold and cheerful colours, the perfect soul-lifter for these gloomy January days.

    Can't wait to see what you make next!

    Happy New Year!

    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous bag, the fabrics are really lovely. I have that book and keep looking at it lovingly but am yet to make anything yet.
    As for your son, my son is 6 and a half and makes similar comments. He told his Grandma that he lived her pink fluffy scarf and could she make one for him. Well the look on mine and my Dad's face was a picture. She did make him one but it was black (but very fluffy) He is not allowed to wear it to school cos there is miraculously no where to attach a name tag! And the less said about Tuesday morning when he could be found in his sisters Minnie mouse dress....mmmmm. I have way more to worry about than you. Ha Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the bag - its fabulous.

    Well done you

    Sara

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that bag looks fantastic! I got that book for Christmas too but haven't got around to really reading it yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh me oh my, I love that bag! I especially love the hexagon patchwork. Now I really really want to try that too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This one of the most beautiful bags I have ever seen - inside and out. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now, that is one fabulous bag - love the ribbon with the clip idea too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous shot of colour on such a grey morning Hen. More patience than I have I think! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Goodmorning! Smashing bag, well done!! xx xx LOVE the fabric!

    xx xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another success!
    The bag is gorgeous and I love the ribbon idea, very clever of you.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's absolutely gorgeous. My 8 yr old son is just the same - loves the pretty things I make. They are adorable at the age, before they get it all pushed out of them at school.
    Thanks for your advice about Fraycheck - I'll go and take a look in John Lewis next time I'm there, and give it a test.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh that bag!!!! It is totally gorgeous. I am almost crying over it for some absurd reason but it's just sooo scrummy!
    And I LOVE the key idea, I think Hen if it's all the same with you I will pinch this idea, it is so fab.
    I think I will have to buy AMH's book.
    Thanks for so much inspiration
    lx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very very impressed Hen! That does look tricky, but you've done an excellent job, plus love your thought to your key chain and pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow!
    You are so very T.A.L.E.N.T.E.D!
    I wish I had a small percentage of your talent!
    I truly love the bag!
    Love,
    Debbie moss

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow Hen you've done it again. Those lovely bright colours really cheer you up. What a great bag.
    Nickyx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the bag it is great!! I also love the shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Hen, love the bag, gorgeous colours. Thanks for letting me know about the wool shops; will be visiting them soon. Kathyx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Hen, love the bag, gorgeous colours. Thanks for letting me know about the wool shops; will be visiting them soon. Kathyx

    ReplyDelete
  30. That bag is good enough to eat! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi there, that bag is just to die for, the shoes aren't bad either..where are they from? Can I also ask about the xmas ballerina fabric that you used to make into a cushion on one of your December posts. You say that the fabric came from America..can I ask where from, my daughter thinks it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That's very true. I do get quite excited about going to Tesco now!!!!
    Enjoy your weekend too.
    Nickyx

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are so clever Hen..I couldnt face sewing patchwork on the machine...was the air blue? A lovely bag to brighten all these grey days we are having...have a lovely weekend sweetie...H

    ReplyDelete
  34. The colours and the way that you've put the fabrics together is very Kaffe Fassett. My favourite designer.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Its absolutely beautiful, clever you! I love the colours!!!!! Just about to start a crochet blanket in similar colours with fern green borders, so your bag picture was timely..... I was having second thoughts about the bright pinks, etc... but I will forge ahead now!
    Clever you!
    have a wonderful year ahead full of cream teas, bone china and sunshine x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful work Hen - sounds like you deserved a bag just for you - a taylor made one for your needs is all the better!
    I've never attempted hexagon patchwork on the machine, thinking it was only possible by hand using template papers. Well done to you for persevering!
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  37. I LOVE that bag!! That would have made a good swop pressie!!! Joking....I was spoilt enough!! Perhaps you could do a post of the pattern for the Crochet Flower on your next post!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great color vibrations coming from that beautiful patchwork, Hen. You've done a grand job, there.

    I can imagine how using a sewing machine for precision hexagons would be very tricky ... but you've done it. I also imagine that you will find some very imaginative uses for the bits of fabric that surrounded those floral cut-outs. (Don't forget to show us!)

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for the comment, I've found a nice cardi pattern but I need more wool so it will have to wait til tomorrow now. I must say I haven't used my machine yet.... bad girl!! I was planning on making a PE bag for Liv but my days off go so fast that I don't get round to using it!! It's easy to knit or crochet infront the TV!! I'd like to make a knitting bag so I'm on the look out for some handles. Not sure if I've left a comment about the bag but it's great :) x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Greetings ! I recently discovered your lovely blog and just wanted to tell you how much I have enjoyed looking at your lovely work and pictures. You have such a beautiful home; it is very inspiring.

    All my best. ~Elizabeth, just north of San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Ooh, scrummy bag ! And I love the shoes too !! Thankyou for the lovely words about my Boo. People say to me how pretty she is and then add "but she doesn't look like you". I just have to laugh it off ... x

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Hen, thankyou for our lovely comments, I did feel sad earlier when doing the post but now the boys are around its busines as usual!
    I love the bag,the colours are so cheerful, just whats needed for January!
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  43. Yay, you did it!
    IT IS GORGEOUS!
    LOVELY!
    Laurie~

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the bag!
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X