Thursday, 26 February 2009

Sweet!

For the last few weeks, I've been taking a little girl to and from school, along with Master Munchkin, of course.  I know her mum a little, she buys preserves from me, and the mum had a baby in January.  I first saw the baby a few weeks later when the poor mum was struggling to push a pram up the hill in the snow.  I offered to take the little girl to and from school and that's what I have been doing ever since.  Today, she ran out to meet us, already waiting at the bottom of the steps (they live on the first floor) and handed me these, saying "Helen, these are for you".  




I was really touched.

Well, what else have I been up to? Following a request from a fellow blogger, I've been making crochet hook rolls. I made myself one a while ago, based on the pencil roll in the book Last Minute Patchwork and Quilted Gifts by Joelle Hoverson. I've since improved the design, having road tested the one I made for myself. I've added a little flap at the top as sometimes, my hooks fell out if the roll wasn't rolled up really tight, changed the dimensions slightly, stitched the ribbons on extra securely and so on. So, I've passed a pleasant few hours (well, quite a lot, actually), selecting and patchworking the fabrics for the inside, choosing the exterior fabrics (they all had to be different, I am never able to choose the easy option and make them all the same!) and choosing the little ribbons too. They look so jolly, I'm really proud of these. And I want one - but I feel I can't justify having one as I still have my original one - even if it is not as perfect as these ones!





















They are here for the time being.  

The postman delivered a few goodies today which might just merit me sneaking a little rest on the sofa...




"Best of British" looks a little boyish from the cover but does promise a feature inside on "50 Years of Thrifty Knitting".   It is a good magazine and we all read it,  including the Munchkin, and I can't say that about any other magazine that enters this house.  I've been flicking idly through Sew Hip (I think the cover on this one is even worse, looks so dated!) whilst loading up the photos and this advert caught my eye...




Oooh, exciting. All the more reason to get that crochet roll ready!


18 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea! I have enjoying spending time on your blog this morning! You love some of the same things that I love! Wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to be given some flowers!
    More colourful and beautiful makes you talented girl!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. The crochet rolls look FAB!!! All the colors are so pretty. Wonderful job! The colors you are using on your ripple are so pretty together. Can't wait to see how that turns out.

    Have a great day!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely of you to help that woman out. Her life must be very hectic with a newborn in the house. How lovely of you Hen.

    That Crochet mag looks like something to keep an eye out for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't find the Sew Hip magazine around these parts and not keen to subscribe. The crochet magazine looks just the ticket, does it have a launch date at all? Dev X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me again, read the advert properly and note the 27 March! Ignore me, daft as a brush!! Dev X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Oh I wish I could crochet-just to have one of these rolls! They look so well made, I love them. Beautiful fabrics too.
    Love
    Lyn
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh they look fab Hen..what great colours and your work is always so neat....hope you are having a good week...H

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely rolls... will you be taking them to the fair?? Looking forward to seeing your things in the flesh!! How kind of you to help that lady out, I'm sure she's very grateful... I wish more people were like this :) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, you are such a beautiful seamstress; wonderful job on the rolls. I just love coming to your blog; you like all the same things I do and it's so inspiring to come here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm constantly amazed at your talent and creativity! Another beautiful project by you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love your crochet rolls and want one desperately! Alas, shipping to US makes everything too spendy for me. I'll keep watching though and visiting your etsy store. I have one too. Am in awe of your organization and decor, not to mention your creations. Hugs across the pond.
    Suzi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that is really sweet - both you taking her to school for her poor Mum and her giving you flowers!
    I don't even crochet, or knit but I want one of your crochet hook rolls just because they are so GORGEOUs (literally).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that's really kind of you Hen, helping out that mum and what a sweet thought, the flowers to show her appreciation.
    Love the crochet hook rolls, very pretty, looks like a lot of work went into those.
    Take care.
    Nickyx

    ReplyDelete
  15. i thought i had commented but its not saved it :-( anyway!!! lovely lovely crochet rolls thank you for indulging me and I cant wait to get mine :-)
    that crochet magazine i must look out for ! i keep looking for one but only ever see knitting ones so that ones is a must have!
    Lesleyx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous Colourful Blog. And such a Cosy weekend Read.
    Warmest Wishes and Thanks
    Sumea

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely gesture.

    Victoria x

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X