Saturday, 28 February 2009

Vintage Love


So, here's what I have been up to today.  








I have taken two gorgeous vintage embroidered panels featuring a traditional crinoline lady in her cottage garden and paired them up with some pretty floral/spotty/gingham fabrics to make these cushions.  Oh how I wish I could be lounging with one in a pretty cottage garden of my own, in blazing sunshine, of course!  Should you wish to recreate your own romantic vision, you can find the cushions looking for new bedfellows here.  My other blog site where I post my goodies is not playing ball today, I'm afraid.  Ah well, you can't have everything!

Well, the boys are out in the garden at the moment and me?  Well, I'm slouched on the sofa (in the best seat, for once), fire roaring away, hot chocolate drunk, homemade choccy cookies (Lucy's recipe)  baked (and a fair few eaten it has to be said), watching Doris Day and Frank Sinatra in "Young at Heart" on the DVD. After re-reading Jane Brocket's The Gentle Art of Domesticity last week, she inspired me to get some old movies on DVD (she has a list of her favourites in the book).  It's the first time I've watched Young at Heart and it won't be the last; it is just marvellous, the frocks are to-die-for, as are all the roomsets too, not to mention Frank's velvet tones.  Doris has just said to Frank, "I'm the girl who brought chintz curtains into your life".  Ah, bliss...

Happy Saturday!

19 comments:

  1. Love the cushions!

    D.Day....is fab!

    We are putting up spy camaras after having our garden furniture stolen....gggrrrrr!
    Still we can spy now....*evil laugh*!!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely cushions but also loving that eiderdown on the bed is gorgeous! love ms Day as well but must say Calamity Jane is my fav :)
    have a good weekend - guess what I got in the post today :-D :-D
    ive bought another crochet hook to fill it up a bit i love it !
    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cushions - and I just love old movies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful cushions Hen, you are such a clever lady!
    Love Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVING the colour in your blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cushions are completely gorgeous.
    I love Doris Day films too.
    Have you seen Please Don't Eat the Daisies? It's got Davis Niven in as her husband, I have a soft spot for him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sonds like a perfect saturday...love the cushions..have a good week...H

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what I'll be doing today
    Love old films.
    Love Your pretty cushions too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hen...your cushions are fabulous...what a great idea to use vintage embroideries. Oh...and I must confess something to you...everytime I see your Charlie-boy's face in your banner it makes me giggle. He sure is a handsome little man!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cushions Hen, very pretty.
    Take care.
    Nickyx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the cushions - and actually the whole bed. I could just curl up in it with a book! Gorgeous!
    Cathy X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, as everything you do.

    Alfazema

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab cushions, don't know how you can part with them.
    Yep, must confess I'm a DD fan too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful cushions, you are one talented lady. Sounds like a lovely way to spend an afternoon x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Hen, I think this is my first visit to your blog, and I am so glad I popped in. The cushions in this post are delightful, so jolly and bright. I've not seen Young at Heart, but will look out for it - I do like Doris and Frank! Have a good week, Happy days to you. Denise

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Hen - Just to say those cushions bring back memories - as a chid I used to stich patterns similar - using an iron-on transfer, if only I still had them!

    Your work is amazing & inspiring.

    Love Lydia xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Hen...I'm really excited...going to sign the contract tomorrow!
    Also will see the nursery.....its not even ready yet!hahahaha!

    Have a super day!xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just found your blog, it's so colourful and lovely! Very inspiring.
    Niki xxx

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X