Tuesday, 17 March 2009

Rock-a-Bye-Baby

Don't worry, people, I'm not about to make any big announcements!  More about the rock-a-bye-baby a bit later on.

So, Saturday evening was the night of the barn dance in the village hall.  We try to attend as many village events as we can and we were certainly up for this one, arranged by the cricket club to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.  The tables were all prettily arranged with white tablecloths, green crepe paper runners, red tea light holders and a certain diligent person had spent a long time cutting out dozens of shamrocks in varying sizes.  Well, the Munchkin was very excited about the barn dance, not least because it didn't even start until, oooooh, 7.30pm, by which time Master Munchkin is usually well tucked up with his Enid Blyton for company.  Few photos I'm afraid, because the "ambience" made it quite dark, there was an awful lot going on and err, quite a bit of cider drinking which "steady-photography-hands" does not make!  We had a fun time though, the Munchkin certainly had a great time and took the fashion bit of the whole affair most seriously.  And who goes to barn dances?  Why, cowboys, of course...




(Here without hat which might have fallen off during the dancing but which was steadfastly worn at all other times throughout the evening, oh yes siree.)

He was quite partial to the hog roast too...




...and thought it very exciting when we won a "Creme Egg" easter egg in the raffle.

Bridport on Saturday was resplendant in sunshine but the shopping consisted mainly of (wonderful) farm reared produce and no thrifty finds this time.  On Sunday, we set off undaunted for the Yeovil car boot sale.  Oh my, it was absolutely heaving with both sellers and buyers, just shows what a spot of sunshine can do.  So, we picked up various bits and bobs, lots of books for the Munchkin as per usual, various strange "boys' DIY items" by Mr HenHouse and not an awful lot by me, actually.  But I did get a few goodies; a whole stash of old Country Living mags, some pretty old china with primroses hand painted on it and a china candle holder with lovely roses and flowers round the base to add to my collection and... this...  
Now you know I definitely needed this...




What is it??





Have you guessed yet?





Now let's backtrack.  I love all things Lloyd Loom-esque.  We have several chairs, bedside table etc.  We first saw one of these cribs in Bridport in the street market (painted white) last Summer (it might even have been the Summer before) and I really loved it but it seemed a ridiculous thing to buy.  Ever since then though, it's been in my head, even Mr HenHouse remembered me seeing it, I must have gone on about it that much afterwards!  I really don't know what it is about it, I certainly don't need it for its intended purpose but I just loved it all the same (pretty much as I like those old Silver Cross prams and those push-along doggies). And so, when I saw it all lonely and unloved at the car boot, tumbled out of the back of a house clearance man's van, when we were about to leave, I looked at it, I walked past and then I hesitated and went back.  Mr HenHouse had moved on to the next stall.  "How much for your crib, please?" I tentatively asked.  "A fiver, love."  Now come on, look at that lovely Lloyd-loomy weave, that delicious oh-so-Springlike original primrose paintwork (rubbed away in all the right places), all the legs intact inside, just waiting to be screwed back on.  "I'll take it!"  Mr HenHouse looked back from the next stall, there was much amused head shaking and out-loud laughing.  Good job we have an estate car, hey?

And so, in the glorious sunshine of Monday, it found its way onto the patio for a sponge down. And now, it's ready for the craft fair, to house my goodies...










I'm afraid I missed the photo opportunity but the very first occupant was of course, Jacky Ginge!  The Muchkin is now very taken with it indeed and also by the owl family.  I'm not sure what possessed me the other day, I must have been overcome with childhood nostalgia because I set off making a few more owls.  Then , in true ten-year old style, I gave them all little tags and names!  Ah, this is brilliant, thought Munchkin and lo and behold, look what I found in the Munchkin's bed tonight, all hand made by the little man himself...






Cute!

25 comments:

  1. Hi Hen, what a lovely weekend you have had. Gorgeous crib, will you be bringing it to the V&H fair? I too love the Silver Cross prams - I used it for my boys, I have a lovely navy blue one from the 1960s. One day I will blog about it! Thanks for the great post about Country Living, I didn't make it in the end as my eldest was ill and home from school. Now it is the younger one's turn! Kathyx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous crib and it looks amazing full with all your goodies.
    Another lucky recipient of Country Living magazines too :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand. My bassinet was picked up off the side of the road during council cleanup week. I use it to store fabrics. I love the primrose colour of yours. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sooooooooooo jealous of your loom crib, I completely understand why you had to bring it home.

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure you will find something wondeful to do with it then wonder how you managed before you had it...any vintage toys? ...dolls and bears?.... they would look fab with an old blanket and a touch of bunting? or put a base in and fill with plants? endless possibilities ...how exciting....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a fun weekend Hen and the Munchkin looks as though he had a great time.
    The crib looks great with all your goodies in it.
    Take care.
    Nickyx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The barn dance sounds fantastic & Munchkin looks so happy. I love the crib, now you just need a baby to go in it!!!! I think Jacky-Ginge looked better, maybe you could crochet a nice bonnet for him..LOL!!! Look forward to seeing it at the fair :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I just spotted the Thomas the Tank Engine duvet cover...my son (now 26!!!) had one of those. Sigh.
    Love the crib Hen xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Hen,
    love the crib and your new owl makes,very retro.
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The munchkin is such a happy little chap! I think your 'babies' look lovely in the crib. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh you couldnt not have it for a measly £5!!! and its storage really so even more of a necessity ;-)
    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad that you had a lovely weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blimey Hen...you had me wondering then,just for a minute!! ;-)
    Love the photo of the Munchkin ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your lovely retro owls look fab in the crib. What a bargain too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love love love the crib. And what a bargain! Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful weekend you had! Here in France I'm still waiting for the Vide Greniers season (these are pretty much the same as Car Boot Sales). The British are just so much more hardy! Thanks for giving me a flavour of what might be to come...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I might just be in love with the LL crib Hen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a lovely weekend - bnarn dance looks like great fun, and the LL crib is just perfect for showing off all your wonderful makes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your crib was surely a bargain at £5, when you consider that a plastic storage box would have cost more and wouldnt have been half as pretty. No doubt, it will be a talking point at the craft fayre. Have a lovely evening - jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
  20. That reminds me of the time my neighbour and I went to the country living fair and both of us desperately wanted this Victorian high chair - you know the ones that cleverly fold down into children's chair and table? I mean, what the hell would I do with that? It was gorgeous though. :-) I think the crib is lovely, I've not seen a Lloyd Loom one before.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope the owls enjoy the crib - it's lovely!

    I'm very jealous of your CL find. I wish I'd kept all my old copies rather than recycling them. At the weekend I realised that they are great for collages!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like you all had a good weekend. The crib looks great with all your wares displayed inside it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I would have sooo wanted that crib as well, I keep seeing little vintage doll cots and wanting them! The owls are cute as cute can be :)

    Mel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW!!!!

    Such a fab find!
    Looks lovely as storage!

    The owls look very well rested in there!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your crib. Do you know if it is an original Lloyd Loom? My mum has one identical that she wants to pass on to me.

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X