Monday, 9 March 2009

Weekend Adventures

Hello everyone.  Hope you all had a good weekend.  Normally, we'd have been off down to the West Country but Master Munchkin had a Beavers' event with the promise of an explorer's badge to be earned, so Saturday saw us arriving bright and early (and yes, rather breezy) in Greenwich, to be precise, here:

Hmm, I wasn't sure this was going to be my cup of tea but it was certainly a 7 year old's cup of tea so I thought I'd post a few photos for any bloggers with Munchkins of their own who might like a trip. It is free entry now, after all.

Behind the beautiful, traditional facade, is a very modern building. There is a fab glass roof over the whole structure which means it is bathed in light. Hats off to the architect. This picture shows you the second level (first floor), looking down from the "Bridge", the top floor.  

Most of the exhibits and galleries are on the ground floor. There are various "rooms" which you can wander through which tell tales of explorers venturing to the East and to the new world to find treasures and spices. One is decked out (ha ha) as if it is the bow of a ship; the children are asked to stand and look out as if looking into sea and imagine what is in the ocean.   Alternatively, it would afford the perfect moment to recreate that Titanic scene with Leo and Kate!

There were also some great exhibits in the main hall. We were rather taken with the speedboat. 

The most enjoyable bit for me was the "Passengers" gallery which was all about cruise liners. There were lots of very large models of cruise liners both old and new, roomsets containing genuine vintage pieces, wonderful travelling trunks and so on.  There were also lots of great vintage posters and artefacts (dinner china, menus etc.) from the ships of the '30s and '50s.  Unfortunately, you were not allowed to take photos in the gallery.

The most exciting bit for the boys was the top floor, the "Bridge", recreating the command centre of a ship with lots of interactive activities.  

"Come in, Captain!"

Apparently even more exciting was this:

Not sure who enjoyed it the most!

Sadly, the flea market site in Greenwich was virtually deserted as the site is being closed and redeveloped in a few weeks time.  I was happy to return home to cosy up on the sofa where this little lot was waiting for me...

I carried on finishing off a few bits today. Charlie-Boy evidently thought his tail could help with me with my bead selection!

Thank you so much for all your positive responses to my little brooches. I've enjoyed restocking my shop again!  In the background, you can see the fabric I picked up in Cath K last week, one of her very pretty new designs.

Lots more hearts...

A few more leaves...

Well, it's a busy week ahead.  Tomorrow is crochet course day and Wednesday, OH YES! Wednesday is the day of the Country Living Fair.  So I'll see you soon...


  1. Did Master Munchkin earn his explorers badge?!!! I haven't been to Greenwich for years. I think I will put it on my places to go list. I really envy your ability to be organised with all your sewing bits and bobs neatly stacked. I am sure I would find crafting more enjoyable if only I could find things!

  2. hi..
    sweet leaves and hearts you do make...:)

  3. What is it with cats they always want to park their bottoms on things you are working on? I think its an attention thing like "your paying far too much attention to that-look at me instead"
    I do love your brooches, I am just going to have to save up some pennies aren't I?

  4. Looks like a fun and interesting visit!

    Lovely CK pretty it is!xx

  5. Did you have a good time at Greenwich? Did Munchkin get his badge? Still love the hearts and you have given me lots of ideas. Julie xxxxxx

  6. Did Charlie-Boy help you to pick out an interesting combination of beads? Fluffy Cat always somehow manages to direct me to the most bizarre articles when she stomps over the paper while I'm reading it.

    Are you excited about the Country Living Spring Fair? I'm going on Saturday. Can't wait! It'll be interesting to hear what you think is worth looking out for. Have Fun!

  7. Looks like a great day out for the 'boys', I bet the cruise ship bit was the most interesting - all that glamour.
    Love the pretty brooches Hen.
    Take care.

  8. Thanks for blogging about the Maritime museum, maybe that could be a day out for us in the summer, like the sound of the cruise liner gallery.
    Did Munchkin get his badge?

  9. Your cat looks cute, I see that you get company when you work then. I have 2 yound cats Lilly & Larry. Larry gets in to everything! A couple of weeks ago went to a flea market, pulled out some lace to show my husband and the next thing we knew Larry was running up the stairs with my lovely antique lace with me chasing after him!!!
    The CK fabric is lovely, just the colours I like. Isabelle x

  10. Sounds like good fun for your little boy (and the bigger one!). I think my girlies would be too young to appreciate it.

    Mel xxx

  11. Looks like a fun weekend, did he get his badge? Good old Charlie-Boy helping out, my Nanny would've had his paw in that box!!! :)

  12. Looks like the 'boys' had a great day!!! My son was in Beavers, Cubs, and Scouts, I think they are great organisations. I'm sure he will end up with an armful of badges!!
    Love the CK, and the brooches too!

    Have a lovely, crafty week : )

    Sharon xx

  13. Hi Hen, what a lovely day at Greenwich my boys would love it. Sad to hear about the Greenwich market - my mum's best friend had a stall at that market for years and we used to visit it all the time (or seemed to be all the time when you were a teenager!!) I am going to the CL fair as a shopper not a stall holder yipee can't wait but am going on Thursday...funily enough I was going to email you to meet for lunch. Perhaps another time. Kathyx PS. I love your brooches, can you make me a heart one for the V&H fair in May?

  14. Looks like little (and big) boy heaven!

    Miss C & I are going to the CL fair on Saturday!

  15. Brooch arrived today, thanks so much Hen its lovely. xxxxxx

  16. I haven't been to the museum since I was little, lovely to be reminded of it, thank you! I love your brooches, they're gorgeous. Glad to see that my cats aren't the only ones who love to leave trails of destruction beside their sweeping tails!

  17. I used to live opposite the NMM - on the other side of the river, so your post really brought back the memories. Such a shame the market was shut - I've spent many a happy weekend hour there. Sounds like a lovely day out for Munchkin though.

    Enjoy your week - sounds lovely.

  18. Hi the hearts!
    Looks like your two children (!) had a wonderful time at Greenwich ;-)

  19. Hi Hen,

    I love all the brooches you've been making, especially the heart ones!

    The cup candles are very easy to make, it just took me a while to figure out exactly what I needed (a with most things I do it was very much trial and error!). You need sustained wicks and special wax for container candles, both of which I found on ebay. You then melt the wax, add the fragrance and pour into the cup with the wick. I found that adding a couple of chop sticks cross ways helped to keep the wick up right. That's all there is to it really. :-)

  20. Love your little broches Hen and love your blog. Have a great day. Lucy x


You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X