Sunday, 17 May 2009

Faffing for the Fair!

Mr HenHouse is particularly popular with me today!  He dug out some vintage goodies for me from one of the attics, in the form of some old camping shelves.  I know, you're thinking "She's finally lost it".  Please bear with me...

We saw some old metal camping shelves/racks being used for display in a shop window a while ago (in Bridport, where else?) and I remarked that I liked them and what do you know?  Mr HenHouse says he just happens to have some stashed away in the attic with all his camping gear!  It really is quite an amusing little quirk that we never realised when we first met, but we both do love vintage/old things.  My flat which I lived in at the time, was actually very modern in style (but in a Victorian building) and I do still like a lot of good modern design.  Mr HenHouse, ever the practical male, usually likes vintage things because they are well made (British made) and actually still jolly useful and better than any modern counterpart you could buy.  Whilst I admire all these points, I would be lying if I didn't confess that aesthetics come first with me so the main reason I love them is because they look nice!  The rest is, of course, a bonus.

So, yesterday, Mr HenHouse appeared in my den with the vintage camping racks and they're a lovely shade of blue (nicer than the orange ones we saw in the shop window).  I will be taking them to the fair to use to display items but as they appeared yesterday, I just happened to find the perfect spot for them in front of the fireplace (having just moved the firescreen out, that's a whole other story) and then proceeded to stash various items on them.  Hmm, that looks rather nice I thought to myself.  And so today, with the rain washing down outside (actually, it's sunny now, very strange weather), I thought I'd play a bit more.  I am finally living that childhood dream to play shop!

They probably won't look like this at the fair but it gives you an idea of some of the goodies I'll be taking.






Vorey is looking distinctly unimpressed with all this faffing going on in "his" room!




A bit closer?







The product of the last couple of days...



On the subject of the Fair, Jayne and Michele have been working away to publicise the event so that many more of you can come and enjoy our wares (and cakes)!  A very good article has recently been published in the Western Daily Press.  Being the un-technical person that I am, I have failed to load it up here (I did try!) but if you would like to follow this link to Jayne's blog, you can have a read there.

31 comments:

  1. It all looks gorgeous. I wish I could come, but it's probably the worst time of year for me May/June - I have loads of major projects all finishing at the same time so lots of work to do in the mean time. If you can put a word in for them to organise one over the holidays (just for me! ;-)) I would gladly come along and purchase some goodies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I see a lot of wonderful goodies! Looks great, should be a great success. xo, suzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely things and they go well on the camping shelves. I will be unable to go to the fayre which is a pity 'cos I would have liked to have gone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Hen, you're so talented, all of your wares look fantastic, so pretty. That was a brainwave to display themon there-and reduce reuse recycle!
    I cant make it to the fair which im a bit sad about, we go on holiday to west bay that week-i guess a trip to girls own should make up for missing it! Hope i get some bargains....we're doing play doh and eating too much at home for ethe day seeing as we're stuck in with the awful rain pouring down outside....Glad you've been productive playing shop!
    Kirsty x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a bountiful supply of goodies! You must be very proud to see all your hard work and talent on display. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooohh it all looks very lovely indeed but to be expected from you clever lady :-)
    i wish i could get down there but may has ended up being a complete hassle for me so will have to just drool over pics on the laptop instead :-(
    you will be a sell out I reckon :-D
    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very practical shelves - we have some plastic ones for camping which are not terribly good. I can see why those ones would be better. And your stock looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How talented are you? You work is lovely xx
    I'm hopefully coming to the fair!

    sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow..it all looks so beautiful. I'm still trying to sort out my stall!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It all looks simply beautiful. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! It all looks fantastic, I'd have one of everything if I was coming...How inconvenient is it that my partners birthday had to clash with the fair!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect display of lovely goodies. Planned to come, but sadly finances making a long trip impossible at the moment. One day perhaps.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, vintage is good and even better when found in your own attic!!! Well done Mr. Hen House!
    With colours like that, you will be surrounded with people at the fair Hen. I hope it goes really well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oi , gosto muito do teu blog, eu tb tenho um blog sobre artesanato em geral e agora estou disponibilizando aos meus leitores download grátis de revistas, http://agulhaetricot.blogspot.com,visite-me,beijo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks fab and I love the shelves! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's all looking lovely, can't wait to see everything in real life, I'm really looking forward to the Fair.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've just had a lovely time looking at your blog. Just love all the vintage items, you seem to have the "best" places to seek out your precious items. Good luck with your stall; your handmade items look fabulous.
    Kind Regards
    Judith from Australia
    www.creativestudio10.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your items wish I could come to the fair, I also really like the camping shelves, has Mr Hen House got any more stashed up in the attic?, might have to ask Mr Joshy and Belle he used to do a lot of camping and out door bits, (ex raf,) he's got loads of gear, bet its all rubbish stuff though!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks fantastic - am really looking forward to finding you at the fair. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your display of all those beautifully made and colorful gems is terrific. Over here in NY, I have never heard of camping shelves, so am glad to see what they might be.

    Lucky you to have met Mr. HH, who clearly has taste in shelves and ladies!

    Your upcoming fair sounds like just the kind of event I would love to attend. Nothing quite like it around these parts.

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've spotted a few things I would like to buy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your goodies look delightful and Im sure you will be a hit at the fair. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A great bit of faffing, Hen!
    Eaking out any extra inches of selling space is a wise move - and it looks like you'll need it! You've made lots of lovely things!
    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Hen, your work will sell like hot cakes, it's gorgeous! I love all that colour, that feast of colour. I so wish I could attend the fair!
    Love Vanessa xxx (do you mind if i knit)

    ReplyDelete
  25. How many things we have in our attics that we could recycle?
    You are a genius Hen!!!
    There's a little present leaving for London...please remember to e-mail me the delivery address!

    Michela
    michela.c81@libero.it

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Hen
    Thank you for your lovely comments!
    My, my, you have been busy and it's looking really nice. I love the mixture of colours and fabrics chosen. The camping shelves are great! How funny that Mr Henhouse should happen to have some in the loft. What a stroke of luck and as you say in blue too. Your stall will look fantastic, thank you for the taster pictures.
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Hen, thanks for your comments on my blog. Yes the trip was wonderful, Mark is a pilot for Virgin hence the upperclass and quick trip. Look forward to catching up at the V&H fair. Kathyx

    ReplyDelete
  28. ......my friend Sue and I had a planning meeting about our vintage fair ...we will be having a stall rehearsal a week on friday...I am so nervous

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Hen, all your goodies look so lovely. Your stall is going to be fantastic. I so wish I could go, it looks like it's going to be fun.
    Bertie x

    ReplyDelete
  30. I covet those blue camping shelves. Maybe some will find there way to my place someday.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't suppose you have another set of those shelves do you..????
    I am scrabbling around trying to organise my display for the fair. It will all get thrown on the table on the day...!
    You look worryingly organised.. gulp!

    Michele x

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X