Monday, 6 July 2009

Watch the Birdie!

Do you remember my post about the Country Living Spring Fair in March?  I was rather taken with these pretty bird boxes which appeared on Selvedge magazine's stand.




And there they were again when I went into Liberty last week.




A bit of research tells me that these are the brain child of one talented Tamar Mogendorff.  You can have a look at her website here.  There are quite a few places online where you can purchase her inspired bird boxes should you want one (a quick search in Google will sort that out or on Selvedge's website, follow the link above).  And how could you not?!


Well, what's a girl to do when she has a bad case of bird box envy and stashes of Liberty fabric all around her in the shop?  Well, you choose some Liberty fabric (just as I did last Wednesday, remember?), now that was arduous, and you set about making one of your very own, of course!




Those birdies are impatient and they don't want to be cooped up indoors, so off they go out into the wide open space.  Hmm, which tree shall it be?










It turns out they're fair weathered friends though and much prefer the cosiness of inside the HenHouse!




I rather like them when they are en masse on the wall.  I must say, it took a fair while to make as there is a lot of hand sewing so it might take a while to get a little collection together.

They'd better watch out though, those Liberty birdies.  Charlie Boy is looking decidedly sleepy at the mo' (doesn't look like Golly has much say in the matter) but who knows what could happen if he's feeling hungry later?!



16 comments:

  1. They are a few precious little houses of birds, might you put a tutorial of how they are done?
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done a great job with the bird box. You are a woman of many talents Hen! I like the picture of Charlie Boy Hugging Golly - or is he pinning him down?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful whimsy! These delightful bird boxes definitely don't reveal all the time it takes to create them.

    Well done, as always! Envy you that trip through Liberty's.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Hen, if I didn`t understand you badly you have said to me that the little houses of birds aren`t an original your idea not?; with which I understand that you don`t make the tutorial.

    Anyhow, thank you very much for answering me.

    A kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved them when I saw them in Selvedge too, in fact I loved everything that she made...yours looks fab...have a good week...H

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Charlie Boy is too cute!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope to see soon lot of birdies in your nest(den)!!!!
    Have a lovely week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely birdboxes, but I think they are much too nice to be outside!!!
    Love the photo of Charlie-Boy snuggling up with Golly, so sweet!
    Linda O xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hen, it's lovely.....worth all the time and effort. You are such a clever lady and what a beautiful combination of fabrics you used. Can't wait to see the den covered in them!
    Jane. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Hen. Great idea and I think it looks just lovely in the tree. Shame the wondeful weather (ha - raining cats & dogs here!) wouldn't allow them to stay put x

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely they look right at home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! I see things that I like in galleries and shops, and I think, maybe I could make that myself, but then I never do! So full marks to you Hen, for actually doing. And it's absolutely gorgeous!
    Love Vanessa xxx (do you mind if i knit)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bird boxes look great!! I love Liberty, I am off there tomorrow afternoon. Very excited. Followed by coffee with a friend....can you get any better???

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great birdbox and Charlie looks very cute

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X