Sunday, 17 January 2010

Caketastic!

On Friday, I celebrated my birthday. Well, sort of! Back in November, (when it was really my birthday), one of my birthday presents from my other half was a cupcake decorating course. I have waited patiently for the day of the course to arrive, wondering if the snow would mean things were called off, but no, the snow would not defeat us eager bakers and decorators. So off up the M4 I went, to Lindy's Cakes' course.




I had previously taken part in one of Lindy's courses last year (a Mothers' Day pressie that time). That was an introduction to celebration cakes and was the first time I'd done anything of the sort really, other than fiddling with very amateurish cakes for the Munchkin's birthday parties. I forgot my camera that time but this time, I was prepared!

The courses actually take place in small groups (we were a group of 8) in a church hall in Buckinghamshire. After a very early start, I was there in plenty of time and was looking forward to the day.

Here we are, mid-flow!




Lindy's team sets up a table groaning with goodies - you definitely need your cheque book with you! There was a fantastic array of coloured sugar paste (much easier than colouring it yourself) as well as books and tools aplenty. Oooh, decisions, decisions...




I was right near the goodie table which was definitely a mistake! I kept getting bits throughout the day as I needed them and ended up with what you will probably think is a very predictable colour palette for me! You take your own baked cupcakes with you and both royal and buttercream icings and you need quite a lot of equipment, some you can borrow, some you decide to invest in if you think you'll use it again.





We decorated cupcakes in three different styles. Lindy gave us a demonstration of each design which we then went back to our tables to have a go at (feeling not a little daunted)! But Lindy and her helpers, Jane and Sally, were on hand to help throughout. I had a good bit of colour co-ordination going on!




It was a great day, I so enjoyed the course. The cupcakes were much more up my street than the larger cakes, I do like little fiddly things which require attention to detail. I was thrilled with my cupcakes. Want to see?





This design of the embossed, piped and painted wild rose, was my favourite.




We also practised piping buttercream in swirls and then made the decorative leaves and roses. Sally showed us a technique for making the roses entirely by hand (Lindy also showed us how to make them with cutters) and I really enjoyed making the suparpaste roses by hand. Entirely free of sophisticated equipment, all you need is the sugarpaste and a plastic bag!





We also made these pretty daisy designs with the use of cutters.





I so enjoyed it that I've made a few more today! The light had gone by the time I finished them so I'll add those photos another time.

Whilst I was taking the snaps of the cupcakes this afternoon, I couldn't help thinking that the colours reminded me a bit of my Carlton Ware in the background.




The question is, can I bear to eat them...




Edit: You can read a bit more about the actual course I attended on Lindy's blog.

54 comments:

  1. Beautiful, great job, and such a good gift one that just keeps giving! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. hen
    your cupcakes are so beautiful - you can't possibly eat them.......well perhaps just one for the munchkin then
    gill x

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are Beautiful!! I cannot imagine doing that on a first try!
    judyk2310@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to say how lovely your cakes are. Looks like you had a lot of fun! Funnily enough I just posted about a knitting cake that I made for my nan's 85th, first time this lark but really enjoyed it.

    Look forward to lots more yummy cakes on your blog :o) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing cupcakes and what a lovely idea for a birthday pressie!No way could I eat them!I did a bit of cake decorating on my cookery course and really enjoyed it.

    Bellaboo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy delayed birthday! Sometimes that delayed gratification is the best. Those buttercream roses are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing photos - and I do hope you'll show your others!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job Hen, to good to eat ....ok maybe not! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. birthday greetings and wow wish I were in the UK to do a course like this
    ciao
    joan in italy

    ps love that display cabinet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous cakes Henny, I could not possibly eat them but I guess you can't keep them (or can you?)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounded like such a fun time and what wonderful cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look fantastic Hen..the roses are my favourite, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woo they look lovely. I went on a meat course in the lakes for my birthday last year. It was so lovely to go and practice something you enjoy without the distractions at home.
    I glad you had fun.
    Rachael XX

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow what beautiful cupcakes. Well done!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How can you bear to eat them????
    How can you bear NOT to!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. works of art....but of course you must eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great day out and your cakes of course look fabulous

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look beautiful...i think you should eat them and then make some more :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Hen

    What a fun course that must have been! The cakes look so pretty. I love the blue and white one in particular.
    Another great gift from Mr HH! Do you hint or does he just know what to get you? Very thoughful gift.

    You won't like my latest post...I'm cutting back on cupcakes...been eating too many...(not cutting out all together though, I could never manage that!)

    Warm wishes
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  19. And the answer is YES! Then you can have more fun making a whole new batch!
    They look great - quite difficult and as you say very fiddly. i can see they will be making an appearance at family occasions in the future!!
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  20. they do look yummy, almost too good to eat, but you have too. Enjoy them,

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, they look superb, far too good to eat .... but needs must!
    Very professional.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my gosh - they are beautiful! I think I'd have a hard time eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun class that must have been! Yours are really gorgeous! And they do match your Carlton-ware very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well...those cupcakes are beautiful to the eye ... surely by now they have all been also given the taste test that starts with just a bite?

    Bet that you'd now be able to conduct a class yourself. Hen, it's pretty wonderful how you share your enthusiasm about so many endeavors with us!

    Okay...how many cupcakes are left? xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow your cupcakes are AMAZING so so so gorgeous !!

    ReplyDelete
  26. They are amazing! What a skill to have :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. There's a shop in Totnes which sells Mr Buns cupcakes...I was looking through their window on Saturday...but hey..yours are def better!!
    What a fab birthday present! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. ooooh just fab-U-lous hunny! very envious!
    Of course you have to eat them now to test they are as edible as they look!
    Well done you!
    Hugs Karen x x x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Isn't that a lovely present? I love to go on a course and learn new skills but I have to really pluck up the courage as I am prone to a shyness attack!
    Your cup-cakes are all beautifull Hen, the blue rose is stunning,

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  30. You must eat them - you can always make MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  31. To eat or not to eat.. difficult choice! They look so gorgeous Hen!
    What a lovely birthday treat!
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Those are lovely and now you've photographed them - you can eat them.....yummy!!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Those cakes look utterly scrumptious and as it was my birthday on Saturday can I please have first choice? or have you eaten them all hehe love Lucey xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Belated Happy Birthday! Gorgeous cupcakes, they do look to good to eat! Best wishes, C :).

    ReplyDelete
  35. P S I sooo love that piccy of the Hen "House family vintage style" was it taken at one of those studios where you pop the clothes on or did you have the clothes yourselves??? Love Lucey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow they're just gorgeous! I don't know if I could bear to eat them either BUT perhaps you could then use that as an excuse to make more- hone your skills ;)
    what a fab gift though, I'd love to do a course like that. my children are almost 3 and 10 months old so I have years of cupcake making to make use of it!
    Natalie x

    ReplyDelete
  37. what a lovely present!!
    They look great xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hen they're stunning...I LOVE the blue one, I couldn't eat it it's far too pretty...
    I've just made a batch with Beatrice (v.hard when on a strict diet!), but somehow giving her free rein to decorate them I can't quite see her producing anyting quite as beautiful.
    Look forward to seeing more.
    Jane. xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. what a great pressie :-)
    they look fantastic and so professional !! wow - i would struggle to eat them but force myself somehow ;-)
    do you know if you can buy the edible glitter anywhere i cant seem to find it in the local supermarket (Tesco)
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your cupcakes look just beautiful, like something out of a magazine! Definitely eat them! Then you get more practice when you make more!
    Ali
    x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Good Evening Hen....what a brill present, such an inspired idea....and best of all you get to eat the lovely cakes!
    I so enjoyed your blog today...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  42. OOOO gorgeous, too pretty to eat !!
    Twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh my word! Your cupcakes are very, very beautiful! Soooo pretty! I think I'd like to learn how to do that too, although I doubt mine would be sp professional looking. What a great present. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  44. Ooooh, they are really rather spectacular Hen. They are really too good to eat but you'll just have to force yourself! Anyway now you've got the photo's as evidence they really did exist, you can all enjoy scoffing them. You have done a brilliant job; they are so deliciously pretty and cup-cakey. Well done you for adding yet another string to your rather laden bow. Imagine all the lovely Easter-y cakes you can conjure up?! Another lovely thoughtful pressie from Mr Hen!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Trying not to LOOK at cakes -mmm delicious! From a fellow Carltonware collector -head to

    http://noodlebubble.blogspot.com/2010/01/award-goes-to.html

    as you were amongst blog award winners!

    LOVELY LOVELY! ♥ Lisa X

    ReplyDelete
  46. They do look wonderful! Perhaps they might make a star appearance at the V&H Fair?!

    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hi Hen, sounds like a very fun day. I love the embossed ones too - the pink one especially!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh my goodness. Those are unbelievably fantastic! Very scrumptious indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hi hunny....I have an award for you to collect...pop over when you have five mins
    Hugs Karen x x x

    ReplyDelete
  50. What a thoughtful present you got! And is obvious you really learned.

    Those beautiful cupcakes would be great for a fancy tea party.

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Those are fabulous, I bet they remain uneaten!! What a great course...goodness, they are fab

    ReplyDelete
  52. what a great post. Loving those cakes

    ReplyDelete
  53. i volunteer as cupcake eater.. they all look great

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X