Thursday, 4 February 2010

Patching

Hello my friends, how are we all this Thursday? Almost the end of the week already. It's been a strange week, won't be sad to see the back of it really and in particular, this nasty lurgy I seem to have attracted. But enough of that...




...there have been highlights. In fact, I must confess that this rather delicious parcel dropped through the proverbial letterbox last week. See, I knew last week was better!




How could it not have been when your parcel contained delights from the world's best fabric shop keeper, Donna Flower, of course!




And so the stroking commenced. The oohing and aahing, the "which is my favourite" and the laying them out first one way, then another and errm, then another! In between of course, I hot footed it to the North and back and then, well then, there was no stopping me. This week, I got to actually do something with it.




Do you remember my patchy cushion? The one I made to sell but when I took it to the cottage for its very own little "photo shoot" it sort of ended up staying there! Well sadly, all this divine vintage fabric doesn't pay for itself and there's always a thrill to be had in making something for others so it was time to sew with intent! Off I went down the patchworky route. There's something so satisfying about putting all these vintage fabrics together. Then you get to enjoy each and every little one rather than having to choose (or bankrupt yourself!) My notebook covers are always popular and so I made some "pretty and practical" covers for these A6 notebooks which had been awaiting my attention.




There's a scrumptious mix of vintage fabrics and vintage embroidered linens. They're lined with white cotton (couldn't have anything fussy to compete with that patchworky loveliness) and of course, each cover is removable so that when you've filled one book with your billets-doux, you can pop along to the stationers and buy a standard sized replacement.




Cushions. A subject close to my heart. In fact, I must do a post just all about cushions. Yes, soon. For now, though, I'll show you what else I've been working on. Time consuming, oh yes.




Because that photo above shows you just the back, you see. I trimmed one edge with a divine rosey 1950's cotton and made a proper fastening with pretty mother of pearl buttons. No reason why the back can't be pretty, is there?


But the front? Well, they're a bit special (I think so).




Each front of each cushion cover is made from 81 individual 2.5" squares. All patchworked with love!




When I had a little play for these photos and put them on the guest bed with my crochet cushion, well, I was rather loathe to part with them to be honest!




Who knows, maybe one day I'll fancy cutting and sewing another 162 squares! For now though, should you fancy a fetching notebook cover, you can find them waiting for you here. And the two rather special cushions here.

31 comments:

  1. Those cushions are just LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The patchwork is beautiful Hen and I bet it took hours to do! It would take me hours just to decide which fabric to put next to each other! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last picture is my fave Hen...the crochet one goes so well with the fabric....so lovely...have a good weekend...get well soon!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very beautiful, so lovely!!
    Chany

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know when I visit your blog I'm going to see something gorgeous,and today is no exception...very very pretty patchwork cushions,I love them!

    Bellaboo

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are lovely, you must have the patience of a saint! I especially love the fabric on the reverse and I agree with MelMel, they go perfectly with the crochet one! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know how you can part with any of it! It's all so, so pretty.
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely them all. Great work
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh ... patchy lovelyness! Beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cushions are lovely, looks like hard work :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely paychworking hen! i used to make patchwork quilts many years ago and sold quite a few. i still have three that i made, must be over 20 odd years old now and still holding up. they have been used on the beds, been picnic rugs and tents when the children were small, have been washed in the machine numerous times and still going strong.

    jyne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, beautiful cushions! 81 squares on each one?! Wow, that must have taken ages, but so worth it! I love that you thought about making the backs look so beautiful too.
    Ali
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those pillows are gorgeous! Simply gorgeous - how do you do your patchwork - do you use a sewing machine or is it all by hand? Sorry I haven't been to visit for a while...somehow the blog entries keep coming from everyone and I keep reading but I must be slowing down because I'm struggling to keep up! Hope your New Year is going well Hen? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. How good do all those gorgeous cushions look together; perfect companions. Love the back of the cushion too; just makes it extra special doesn't it? More lovely things, all perfectly beautiful. I do like a covered notebook and it is so much better if you can remove the cover and replace the notebook when full. What's not to like about a little fabric parcel tied up in a bow. Shopping on-line has pros and cons but I'm afraid it beats the scrum at my local fabric shop - enter at your peril, and leave somewhat battered and worse for wear! And you can dither away looking at the fabric until you make your mind up.
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aaarrgghhh!!!!! I've just been staring at your cushion covers Hen. Just staring! They're so beautiful, just so beautiful. I'd better think about this one quickly, as you've already sold one. You could sell these in Liberty's, for a lot more, I imagine. You could sell all your goods in LIberty's, to be honest. Am going to pop over to your shop again to have another think about that remaining cushion cover. Love Vanessa xxx (do you mind if i knit)

    ReplyDelete
  16. gorgeous patchwork you must have the patience of a saint :-) I get bored after about 3 or 4 and they all start going a bit wonky ... nothing to do with the glass of wine Im having at the time (evenings of course!) :-) Lx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Hen

    I love your choice of fabrics for the notebooks!
    Donna's fabrics are hard to resist I trated myself some lovely 50's fabric of depicting the Italian riviera, can't wait for that to arrive.

    I REALLY like that little blue bowl and dish on your first picture!!! Do you know who it was made by?

    Have a great weekend
    Take care
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  18. The bowl set in the top photo came from my 87 year old nan and belonged to either her parents or grandparents, I'm afraid I can't remember which, but it's pretty old. No obvious marks to suggest by whom it was made. I think there was once a jug too. I love coloured glass and one day she just gave it to me.
    Hen xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Hen

    How lovely that it should handed down in the family and that your Nan knew you would appreciate it. A beautiful treasure to have!

    Take care
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello there. I love the cusins I would not want to part with them either. They are lovely. Hope you get feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice patchwork.

    I am also patchworking (as well as crocheting) hopefully to make into cushions. I shall post next week.

    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  22. I also have a 'thing' for pillows Hen...don't know what it is about them. And yours are, indeed, special!

    I love that bluebird in the first picture. I covet him actually...

    ReplyDelete
  23. ooowww, just found your blog - what a feast!! i love your photography (and you Cath Kidston bowls!!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi
    The patchwork is beautiful!!
    You must have patience of a saint! but it is all worth it in the end.They are so gorgeous.
    Have a lovely weekend!
    Bridie x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Hen. Lovely cushions. Thought you might like to know that there will be a patchwork exhibition on at the V&A next month.
    Cath W

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hen, you are so very very clever. You must have so much patience. I am in awe of you work.
    Have a great weekend
    Rachael XX

    ReplyDelete
  27. i love your cushions. It might just make me get on and finish one of mine that has been waiting to be done for a while now.

    Well done

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous!

    Are you coming to Bridport Rag Market on 20th Feb?

    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your cushions are gorgeous, very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you so much for being a great British inspiration to me. I left good old Blighty quite a while ago, and am feeling rather homesick. I do have to say though, I don't think I could sew a quilt or make things like you do!

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X