Wednesday, 3 March 2010

Finishing Touches

I've had a few projects on the go for a while and yesterday was finishing off day. During our stay at the cottage over the New Year, we took a trip to Lyme Regis. While there, I came across a rather lovely bedding set, a duvet and two pillowcases, in a charity shop. I wouldn't generally buy bedding from a charity shop (other than to cut up and repurpose for which it is indeed very handy) but this set was like new, a lovely quality pure cotton in pink and white candy stripes. £4. Well, I couldn't leave it behind.

Now on the label, it assured me it was a kingsize duvet. Of course, my bargain turned out to be too good to be true when I measured it up at home and found out it was a double. So, I decided I would take the duvet apart and edge it with complimentary fabric to make it the required size.




Well, I didn't realise quite what a job this would be. Kingsize duvets are huge and so I was adding on enormous lengths of cloth. In fact, I ended up buying three metres of my pretty Cath K rose sprig fabric to complete the edging. Hmm, not such a bargain after all! It was a pretty boring job to be honest; cutting long, straight strips of fabric which required very looong lines of straight and zigzag stitching. So, I kept parking it after doing a few hours work on it but it was annoying me that it was continually occupying a space on the end of the ironing board, looking at me and needing to be finished.




So yesterday, it was finished and put on the bed where I am very pleased with it. You can probably just see above that I added a wide strip to the top and a narrower strip down both sides. Never again, I tell you!

Did you spot that other rather lovely item on my bed (other than the super-gorgeous Vorey-Puss?) Yesterday, ding dong went the doorbell and there was the postie with my latest eBay purchase. The divine pattern on this eidy meant it simply had to be added to the collection!




Truly scrumptious!




Don't cats always find the warmest spots? Vorey is very pleased that the sun has finally made an appearance.




Now, do you remember when I started my latest crochet project, the pin wheels edged with black? Well, I spent the rest of yesterday finishing off my square and joining everything together. Another boring job! I must say, working with black is so much more difficult, you just can't see the spaces to stick your hook through in the easy way you can with light colours.


So, here is the finished square looking pretty nice draped over Gregor. Gregor is so in touch with his feminine side!




But Gregor was not going to be that lucky, and into a cushion went the square.




The chair has been treated to a green blanket for the unveiling occasion, though the green (rather than pink) is taking some getting used to.




When I made my last crocheted cushion, several of you wrote to me asking how I put them together and I did try to explain. Well, here you can see my square, blocked to 18", on top of a square of black woollen backing fabric. The fabric is about half an inch bigger than the crocheted square all round.




I then pin the crocheted square to the fabric around the edges, pulling it gently to shape, trying to get the edges even.




I then simply hand stitch, using simple over stitches, the crocheted square to the backing fabric using the same coloured thread. I then make up the cushion back in the normal way. This time with some delicious Cath K Provence Rose.




When I finally sew the front and back together, I sew with the front (ie. the black) uppermost and use my zipper foot so that I can keep my line of machine stitching right next to the crocheted edge, without actually sewing over the crocheted edge. You can feel the crocheted edge with your fingers as you go along because it creates quite a ridge. This way works for me.




Just to remind you in case you fancy a go yourself and to say a big thank you to Yvonne, the pattern for the pinwheel squares is from the marvellous Yvestown blog.

39 comments:

  1. Wow - you have been busy!! But it has definitely been worth it!! I love the bedding, it's gorgeous, the new eiderdown is fabulous!! the pinwheel cushion is amazing!!! Yummy!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have given up when I found out it was a double, I am impressed you kept going, it does look great though.
    I love Gregor, he looks fabulous with his new chair pad and lumbar support. The cushion looks great in black, that will be my next cushion project, after the throw, and the 2 quilts!!!!!
    I have been crocheting the backs of my cushion. I used a tutorial from Lucy at Attic 24, she uses thrifted sweaters/jumpers, but we don't have any of those here in the middle of a sub-tropical summer, so I altered it by crocheting treble rows. This way you have two cushions in one, if you get sick of the front you can flip it over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Hen on getting a couple of UFO's off the list.
    Nice colours in the "new" duvet cover and eidy, can see why you couldn't pass it by!
    Crochet cushion cover looks great, I imagine Gregor was quite happy to pose with it, as it does have some "manly" colours in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Hen on getting a couple of UFO's off the list.
    Nice colours in the "new" duvet cover and eidy, can see why you couldn't pass it by!
    Crochet cushion cover looks great, I imagine Gregor was quite happy to pose with it, as it does have some "manly" colours in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanx for the mini tutorial on making a cushio.
    Much appreciated
    joan in italy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Hen, just read your latest blog post, love the crochet and eiderdown and the duvet set...Bargain! Lyme Regis charity shops are normally so expensive! Can you email me your address again, I now have the CL tickets...do you still want a pair? Let me know. Love, Kathyx PS Have just come back from holiday...fab!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a busy bunny you've been!
    Love the bedding set, it was so worth it in the end Hen!
    What a gorgeous eiderdown too!
    Fabby finds as usual!Have a lovely day!
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should send that Gregor pic to Ikea(I assume it was Ikea?) showing them how a rather dull chair can be so well and truly 'tarted up'!
    I reckon you are a good advert for
    that chair!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep saying it, and I'll say it again, you are so talented, wow! Love what you did with the CS bedding, and that eiderdown is gorgeous!
    I love your cushion cover, it is so pretty, infact, I love everything you make, I adore reading your fabulous blog, it is indeed a treat. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love the crocheted squares edged in black which seems to look more traditional and really makes the lovely colours pop. It looks great.
    Jak x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just wondering, could you perhaps, if you have the time, talk me through the basics of patchwork, how you do it? I would be really thankful if you did, I'll send you a little something as a thank you. I'm just itching to do patchwork, but since I am new to the sewing machine, I am really nervous about it. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done Hen, another couple of beauties you have created there.
    Well done for transforming the double duvet. You definitely have some patience.
    Have fun,
    Rachael. X

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore that eiderdown and the cushion with black is very striking! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. The bedding looks great and I'm impressed with your patience for sewing and cutting such long straight lines! I do love the Eidy too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cushion is just lovely! As is the bedlinen... and indeed your whole blog! I have enjoyed visiting and looking through your inspirational posts. So pretty and colourful. I am sure to come back. And thank you for your visit and lovely comment in my blog. So pleased I found you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking lovely hen, hmmmm I am rather falling in love with handsome Mr. Gregor

    X

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lot of work for you! I really appreciated that explanation of blocking out - even though I don't crochet, I like to know how the things I collect have been created, and I could never work out that bit! The finished cushion is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your crochet cushion. :) The colours really stand out against the black background!!
    Vivienne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Hen, lovely post again. I am sure I looked at that eidy on ebay, I am after a bigger one myself and it is lovely. However, I wonder if you would pop over to my blog today as I have mentioned you in it and hope it might bring a smile, Best wishes, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh there you go again, stirring up this nasty green eyed creature that lives within me!!!
    I have been trying to teach myself crochet, Granny squares are not as hard as you think, but somehow, mine don't look as good as yours. Tricky though, you need 2 hands at once, how can I eat biscuits at the same time? Plus I have only made 3 upto now!!! Single squares that is - rubbish! ha ha.

    Once again, a fab post H.

    Love CX

    ReplyDelete
  21. you are a patient lady..your blog is lovely...i am doing a giveaway on my blog xx jackanne,

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmmm... a "finishing off" day sounds like such a good idea - but I think I will need quite a few!
    Lovely projects as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow i love your bedlinen and your cushion its beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. We love your blog! So... cute, and colorful. You did a great job with that thrift find. Thanks for sharing,
    Laura and Michele
    http://thatissovintageohmy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Of all the crochet colour combinations.. the vibrant colours against black..has to be the best. Very striking.. and very clever Hen..
    So much for my learning to crochet resolution this year..Got as far as finding a crochet hook..you never know..might actually find some wool soon!

    MX

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just visited your Blog after seeing you on Jolie-Home Blog favorites. So pleased I did you are now on my list of favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So many beautilicious things - how do you do it?! The duvet cover is just gorgeous, though I can well imagine how cumbersome to handle it was. Totally worth it though, the fabrics are so pretty together. The whole bed looks just so comfy and nice. Trust puss to find the sunshine - they always will though! Loving the cushion cover heaps - the black background makes the colours pop doesn't it? I like the pattern you've used very much. It is tricky working with dark colours I know - you can't see a thing that you are doing! Love seeing your creations.
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your patience was beautifully rewarded. I love the duvet cover and the eiderdown looks so pretty with it! At least you had unfinished projects, I have far too many not-even-started ones! x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mmmmmm Hen, your home is so utterly scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a busy bee you've been. I am really loving your crochet cushion, the black really makes it stand out... gorgeous. xxx Pixie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the eiderdown! Why is it whenever I come to your blog I come away wanting something?
    You are a bad influence!
    You are so clever with that machine of yours, I haven't even sewn a line with my machine yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely images! Why does everything outside of the U.S. seem so charming to me? Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the black border as much as the white. Well any I see really, crochet is far too seductive, but then so is fabric and yarn and.... it's like being in an eternal sweetie shop.

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  34. i adore your photos of your rooms, they are so pretty and everything I long for! The eiderdown is a delight x

    ReplyDelete
  35. So you got the bedspread I was watching on ebay must say it looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the eider!
    I want to make a cover for my couch, but it's one of those big, boring jobs that I'm avoiding. You're good incentive, seeing you tackle a job right away. (OK, with a little dilly dallying)
    I also love Gregor's make over. I kick myself for giving away a sweet black trimmed granny square afghan I bough years ago. Someone never wove the ends in and I got it for a song. That was back before I knew how to crochet and weave ends in and I gave up on it as well. C'est la vie!
    PS I loved seeing behind the scenes in your posts. Thanks,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've recently had to refashion a duvet cover the other way - from king-size to double - and that was a pig of a job too I can tell you. I never realised quite how much fabric was involved in a duvet cover until I started cutting and sewing it. Your duvet looks totally fab now though.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hey duvet cover girl! What an epic struggle that was! Looks brilliant though, you must be glad now? Love the black crochet cushion, divine Hen.

    Thanks for the lovely Birthday wishes, so sweet of you,

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow your cushion looks amazing ,the black border really makes the colours stand out !!
    I haven't tried backing with fabric ,may have to give that a go , thanks for the instructions
    :0)
    I'm just starting to blog ,but still got a lot to learn !!

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X