Now on the label, it assured me it was a kingsize duvet. Of course, my bargain turned out to be too good to be true when I measured it up at home and found out it was a double. So, I decided I would take the duvet apart and edge it with complimentary fabric to make it the required size.
Well, I didn't realise quite what a job this would be. Kingsize duvets are huge and so I was adding on enormous lengths of cloth. In fact, I ended up buying three metres of my pretty Cath K rose sprig fabric to complete the edging. Hmm, not such a bargain after all! It was a pretty boring job to be honest; cutting long, straight strips of fabric which required very looong lines of straight and zigzag stitching. So, I kept parking it after doing a few hours work on it but it was annoying me that it was continually occupying a space on the end of the ironing board, looking at me and needing to be finished.
So yesterday, it was finished and put on the bed where I am very pleased with it. You can probably just see above that I added a wide strip to the top and a narrower strip down both sides. Never again, I tell you!
Did you spot that other rather lovely item on my bed (other than the super-gorgeous Vorey-Puss?) Yesterday, ding dong went the doorbell and there was the postie with my latest eBay purchase. The divine pattern on this eidy meant it simply had to be added to the collection!
Don't cats always find the warmest spots? Vorey is very pleased that the sun has finally made an appearance.
Now, do you remember when I started my latest crochet project, the pin wheels edged with black? Well, I spent the rest of yesterday finishing off my square and joining everything together. Another boring job! I must say, working with black is so much more difficult, you just can't see the spaces to stick your hook through in the easy way you can with light colours.
So, here is the finished square looking pretty nice draped over Gregor. Gregor is so in touch with his feminine side!
But Gregor was not going to be that lucky, and into a cushion went the square.
The chair has been treated to a green blanket for the unveiling occasion, though the green (rather than pink) is taking some getting used to.
When I made my last crocheted cushion, several of you wrote to me asking how I put them together and I did try to explain. Well, here you can see my square, blocked to 18", on top of a square of black woollen backing fabric. The fabric is about half an inch bigger than the crocheted square all round.
I then pin the crocheted square to the fabric around the edges, pulling it gently to shape, trying to get the edges even.
I then simply hand stitch, using simple over stitches, the crocheted square to the backing fabric using the same coloured thread. I then make up the cushion back in the normal way. This time with some delicious Cath K Provence Rose.
When I finally sew the front and back together, I sew with the front (ie. the black) uppermost and use my zipper foot so that I can keep my line of machine stitching right next to the crocheted edge, without actually sewing over the crocheted edge. You can feel the crocheted edge with your fingers as you go along because it creates quite a ridge. This way works for me.
Just to remind you in case you fancy a go yourself and to say a big thank you to Yvonne, the pattern for the pinwheel squares is from the marvellous Yvestown blog.