Tuesday, 18 May 2010

Scrumpylicious

Ah, isn't it marvellous, this sunshiney weather we are having at last? About time too! We were also lucky to have some sunshine whilst we were away in the West Country at the weekend. After a most enjoyable morning mooching in Bridport, we headed off to one of our favourite local haunts...




This is our local cider farm which produces the most marvellous brew and at £4.60 for 4 litres, is a downright bargain, too!




It's such a fabulous place. We stumbled across it when we first started visiting the West Country a few years back, now we are regular visitors and luckily, it is not too far from our cottage. It is like stepping back in time, everything is very ramshackle but that is all part of its charm.




The farmhouse where the owner lives is rather eclectic, shall we say!





The view to the rear is stunning, across acres of apple orchards complete with horses, and sometimes pigs or lambs. And the air...well it's just marvellous, lung-expanding stuff. We do spend the rest of the week breathing in city smog, after all!




It's also a great place for spotting lovely birds and the Munchkin and I always go over to say hello to the hens.




The real treasure, though, lies inside the cool, dim barn...





Burrow Hill has won many awards for its cider and you may have spotted its distinctive double decker bus from which it peddles cider at events like the Dorset Steam Fair and Glastonbury.





They also supply cider vinegar to Pipers make the best ever salt and vinegar crisps. They just have to be really vinegar-y, I find, and these certainly are.





In the cool depths of the barn the enormous wooden barrels house the dry, medium and sweet cider. Tastings are available too!




Oh yes, it was a good weekend!

21 comments:

  1. What a pretty place! Glad you had a lovely weekend. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks a wonderful place! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's just something about cider that says summer and sun to me, I am a huge fan, especially of local ciders, and those srisps sound divine! Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a really lovely time! I do enjoy a good cider - though when it's REALLY hot I like to mix it with a little orange juice! Mmmm....fruuity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fantastic weekend. The weather on Saturday was wonderful.
    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh,argh..I'm rather partial to a drop of ciderrr me'dear.That was in my best Devon accent you know!
    Yes,a ploughmans lunch and a nice medium dry...perfect!

    Bellaboo ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just caught up with all your creativity, and now I feel like I've run a marathon. Your stall looked fantastic at the vintage fair, well done. The sneak preview in your last post looks interesting, the embroidery and crochet, how tantalising!Gosh hen, I really do need to go and make myself a cuppa after all that yumminess,I'm exhausted! Love Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like such a fun place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just getting into cider drinking, I don't like vinegar so some have been howlers!

    I love going to the cider department in Booths supermarket at Keswick whenever we make a visit.

    Vanessa x

    ReplyDelete
  10. don't drink it all at once!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post Hen..and not even one slurred word...hic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Hen

    What an interesting place to visit. I had not heard of it before. I've just had a look at their website, great selection!

    Warm wishes
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh salt and vinegar - my favourite! I must look them up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely place, glad you had a good weekend.
    Linda O xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. having tasted rather too much of their cider at the Dorset Steam Fair, I don't think I'd trust myself to live quite so close to the "factory" (hic!)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Hen
    We were going to come down to the big city this weekend, we have use of a flat in Pimlico, I had my itinery, Bermondsey market, Fashion & Textile museum, Liberty, Anthropologie, Brick Lane, V&A and anything else that we could fit in, in 3 days, but Michael has just been given a rush job, a total re wire of a pub that has to be totally refurbed for the start of some football competition, so no fantastic weekend for us!
    Oh well, Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Hen. It's been ages since I was able to visit blogs as our dear computer crashed and this one is very very slow. off for a catch up now xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Hen,
    Pickle is well!
    I've just ran upstairs after hearing a big crash, to find Pickle looking very confused, she had jumped up onto the shoe cupboard and on her way down managed somehow to bring all down with her....hhhmm.....she is now eating her fish super!
    Love her!

    I just love that tray, would have been ultra rude to leave it behind!
    Its perfect for tea and biccies/cake for one!

    Love Melxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi
    We must have been at the market in Bridport at the same time - isn't it lovely so many things to buy! And of course I bought!! Next time we will visit the cider place! Looks like a good place to go.
    hugs Jill

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi! I'm your newest '650th' follower to be exact!
    from Canada!

    love your blog...
    love to crochet also...and no, there is nothing better!!!!

    ciao bella

    do come by and have a peek into my creative world.

    creative carmelina

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great place. Sounds like a lovely weekend.

    Shirl x

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X