Wednesday, 9 June 2010

In the Garden Today

Well, I must confess I am a bit confused by this weather we're having. One minute, it's pouring with rain, I can cope with that (for a few days); it means holing up indoors and getting crafty, and hopefully the lawn greening up a bit. In between though, we're being treated to some rather nice spells of sunshine and it remains rather warm. As such, having lots of things to snap and share with you, I thought I'd take advantage of the weather and head outdoors.





Is it because we had a hard Winter, but the roses are doing fabulously this year? My David Austin English roses have now been in the garden for between one and four years. As we were forecast heavy rain yesterday and I knew this would damage all the pretty blooms, I went out snipping and came back with an armful of divine roses which are now looking lovely indoors. They smell heavenly, too. I borrowed them for a bit though, to prettify my dinky outdoor coffee table (£1.50 from the car boot sale a few weeks ago).





The David Austin roses on the archways in the "kitchen garden" (ie. weed jungle!) are so rampant that several of them have broken the arches they are growing on. I think we will have to invest in some more heavy duty replacements and have a bit of a prune later on. Well the idea was good!







This rose is William Morris, a beautiful peachy pink with many petals. This year it is looking the best it ever has.






This one is Winchester Cathedral, also doing well though the flowers are spotted with pink. I quite like this anyway. Perhaps it is the rain? Any rose experts out there?







This one is Gentle Hermione, beautiful by name and by nature.






This year, I decided to order some plants from catalogues but I was a bit shocked to see how tiny they were when they arrived. They were not even the small "plug plants" but they pretty much looked it to me! I spent a fair few hours digging out a lot of little pots and potting all the dinky plants on. They are now fairly flourishing.






Next year, I think I'll buy my plants from the car boot sale though where they are a perfect size and so cheap. Despite the diminutive size of the plants I received, the recent sunshine has really encouraged the plants and the patio is looking more flowery.






Down into the garden then, I've something to show you. I've had quite a few requests for more Union Jack style cushions and this time I have made them extra special, using vintage European fabrics for the bluey backgrounds with modern cotton stripes and each has a pretty detail at the centre, three of them vintage fabrics, one good ole' Cath K.






I like to make the back special, too, with strips of the same vintage fabrics and contrasting buttons.





Yesterday, I was feeling a bit craftily restless. I have been trying to finish a fair few outstanding projects and what I really wanted was to be free to just create something new. Later in the afternoon, having been a good girl, I decided it was time to move on and the pretty vintage embroidered cloth I had recently acquired was at the back of my mind. It's relatively easy to find cloths with scattered floral patterns but ones with scenes are more difficult. They do make the most fab centrepieces for special projects.






I love, love, love this! It turned out much better than I had in my head. It has a mixture of vintage and modern fabrics surrounding the gorgeous centre panel in a traditional log cabin design. I decided not to quilt it with long rows of straight stitching (I find this interferes with the fabrics sometimes) but I had really liked the effect of tying in order to quilt which I first tried in my hour glass cushion. So, that's what I did using vintage perle cotton threads.


Aaarrgghhh! Get away Charlie Boy! He is far too fond of my cushions. Comfy!




The cushions are awaiting new homes in my shop.


Do you remember this thrifty find from a few posts ago?






Well this project has been taking up a fair bit of my time. This is a very special crib for someone's very special dolly. Only the best will do. So, a bit of patchworking needed to take place, dolly deserves her own patchwork quilt, don't you think?






And I am so pleased with this now it is finished. It has been a little labour of love but very enjoyable to complete.






Hmm, dolly will be very cosy in there!





I made a mattress with foam and a calico cover. I then made a bottom sheet out of pretty rosey fabric to cover the mattress. Then we have a pretty topsheet (a vintage embroidered tray cloth) and I decided a vintage woolly blanket would be a good idea which I've blanket edged with vintage pink perle cotton. On top, of course, there is the patchwork quilt, with proper batting in the middle and hand-sewn binding. Finally, there's a little pillow with a removable vintage embroidered pillowcase. I know as a little girl, the more accessories I could faff with, the better!





So there you have it, my garden is looking like a little sale is taking place today! What shall I do now...






...well would you believe it? The weekend yielded me with not just one but a double decker, bunk bed dolly crib set. Oh let me at it!






(The pink crib has found a lovely new home already.)

29 comments:

  1. fantastic cushions - I love them all annd dolly's bed - you have been very busy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cutting up vintage cloths - you naughty girl ;)

    It all (as ever) looks fab. I love the dolls cot - I had one the same as a child AND a full size one which was used for me, my 6 siblings and then my boys when they needed naps at my parents.

    You've inspired me - off to make a cushion!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your roses are stunning, Hen! Love all the beautiful pillows you have been working on...the doll crib is adorable...some little girl is going to be so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done such a marvelous job on the crib, it's beautiful!!
    And how gorgeous are those roses. :)
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks soooooo adorable - no wonder you are desperate to have a go at another one. And I love the cushion too. I'm feeling like I'd like to have a go at one myself - if only my dining room (where I usually set up my sewing machine) didn't look like Steptoe's yard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The crib is gorgeous, I would have loved one of those when I was little, in fact I would quite like it now...your cushions are lovely too. You have been very busy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been busy! Love the mini patchwork quilt, and your roses are beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh those roses are STUNNING! I love the blowsy overgrown ones. Sigh. I wish my garden looked even a tiny bit like yours. And that cot!! Do you think it's a bit young for my daughter? I mean, she's ONLY going to be 20 in August... :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful roses and have cot envy now! As ever, all wonderfully put together and so glad to see those vintage cloths have been put to good use. Pippa.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous Cushion, Gorgeous Roses, Gorgeous Garden - you are a lucky girl! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden looks so pretty with those glorious stitcheries! I love what you've done with the embroidered basket of flowers, I feel inspired to use mine for something similar. As for your thrifty finds...well I am really wanting that bunk-bed!xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think you need to be a little girl to enjoy 'playing' with that crib Hen...wink,wink!
    Love all your 'makes'...my favourite is the one YOU love..that gorgeous cushion.
    Roses are my favourite flower.I really should grow some in our garden as we have very heavy clay soil and I'm told roses like that.

    Bellaboo :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay: my english isn`t perfect, but perhaps you can understand what I meen!!!

    In my garden there is a Winchester Cathedral too and sometimes she has this pink shine - then she goes back to her "roots".

    Look here: David Austin Roses.
    The text in germany:
    Frage: Ich besitze eine Winchester Cathedral Rose und habe festgestellt, dass sich einige der Blütenblättchen rosa verfärbt haben. Habe ich einen neuen Sport entdeckt?

    Antwort: Leider nein. Sowohl Winchester Catherdal und Redouté sind Sports der Sorte Mary Rose und es kann vorkommen, dass sich die Sports wieder in das Original zurückentwickeln. Die Rückentwicklung kann z. B. durch eine komplett rosafarbene Blüte oder aber nur durch einen winzigen Klecks auf einem Blütenblättchen angezeigt werden und durchaus sehr attraktiv sein. Wenn Sie die Rose einfarbig halten möchten, schneiden Sie diesen Trieb bis unterhalb der Stelle zurück, an der der Sport ausgetrieben hatte.

    Liebe Grüsse
    Gabriele

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wrote a comment - and now ????

    Okay, once more. Sorry, my english isnt very good. But I try.

    In my garden there is a Winchester Cathedral too. And sometimes there is a pink shine. Then she "goes back to here roots".

    I found this (in german) on the Webside of David Austin Roses:

    Frage: Ich besitze eine Winchester Cathedral Rose und habe festgestellt, dass sich einige der Blütenblättchen rosa verfärbt haben. Habe ich einen neuen Sport entdeckt?

    Antwort: Leider nein. Sowohl Winchester Catherdal und Redouté sind Sports der Sorte Mary Rose und es kann vorkommen, dass sich die Sports wieder in das Original zurückentwickeln. Die Rückentwicklung kann z. B. durch eine komplett rosafarbene Blüte oder aber nur durch einen winzigen Klecks auf einem Blütenblättchen angezeigt werden und durchaus sehr attraktiv sein. Wenn Sie die Rose einfarbig halten möchten, schneiden Sie diesen Trieb bis unterhalb der Stelle zurück, an der der Sport ausgetrieben hatte.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hen, that litle crib is absolutely delightful. What a wonderful job you've done especially with all teh extra details and effort you've out in. I'd have been thrilled with that as a little girl - well would now to be honest.

    Love your roses, you can't beat David austin. My climbers (St Swithun's Day & James Galway) are all tightly in bud here still and will prbably open in this continual drizzle we're having. Brill.
    Have a lovely week.
    Stephx

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Roses look absolutely stunning.. They look so happy blooming away. Thank you for sharing your garden.. it's nice to have a look and it looks very pretty and calming x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm fascinated by the bunk beds! They look gorgeous! Love the cot makeover, I am v jealous of the dolly who gets to sleep in there ;)

    Mel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a new visitor to your blog, having attended the Chipping Sodbury Fair. Your posts are great - it looks like a lovely life!! Gorgeous cushions! Do you only sell the cake stands at Fairs? Abby

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have framed that vintage embroidery to show it off at its best. I don't think it's possible to object to that!

    In addition, I adore your roses and I agree, ours down here in France are fantastic this year too. My pupils coming to the door today were admiring them and I felt rather chuffed!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Again, I wish I lived in the UK! Lol. I would snap that crib up immediately for my two littlest girls. :-) What beautiful things you have been working on. Had to smirk about your comment about "the lawn greening up" - I expect your standards for green lawns are higher than ours here in OZ! Lucky you! Happy crafting (and gardening),
    Tracy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You've been very busy again Hen. Everything is looking lovely.

    I love the Winchester Cathedral rose. We had a superb specimen in our Wiltshire cottage garden which I was sad to leave behind. Haven't got round to planting one here, yet, but another lovely white rose is Boule de Neige next time you're shopping!

    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  22. How busy you have been.

    You have done a sterling job with the crib it is so pretty now and the cushions are wonderful I really love the twist of using roses on the Union Jack
    ones
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful roses -that hard winter seems to have done the garden a ot of favours, everything seems to have more blossom or flowers. I love the crib, some litte girl somewhere is going to be so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The crib is so sweet! We have an antique one that my lovely Tamzin played with as a little girl - I have kept it of course so perhaps one day it will go to her daughter!

    Should you have been snipping those roses off the bushes? Tsk tsk! ;-)

    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  25. (I've tried a couple of times to post this comment, and I'm not sure if it came through each time or not, embarrassing if it has come through everytime an I just didn't realise!) You've done it again, left me with a serious case of the wantsies. It's all too gorgeous for words. LOVE it all but especially the bunk beds. Can't wait to see what you do with it. Your roses are gorgeous, ours are a little sad right now but if they perk up I'll be posting some photo's. They are all really old bushes and old varieties so they smell delish. I keep meaning to take some cuttings.

    I have just mentioned you in my latest post, actually my post is a short one about how excited I am that you are following me. My first real follower! I've put a pic of some flowers on there for you, I think you'll like them.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. So pretty Hen! I want the D.A. Queen of Sweden rose so badly! I'm going to make a small hedge out of them...

    I love the crib. I saw one of those bunk beds once at a vintage store, but they wanted $50 or 60 for it....I just couldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Hen
    The cot looks so sweet! Much better now that's it has had a fresh coat of pink paint on. I bought a similar cot last year but still haven't got around to painting it... So many other things to do first.
    June is a wonderful time of the year for gardens. My favourite probably, as the roses fill the garden with their heavenly scent.
    Cushions look really pretty!
    Take care
    Isabelle x
    P.s: I am sure you'd love Clovelly.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can't decide which is more beutiful - your roses or that fab, fab crib. Coveting both...

    Jo x

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X