Thursday, 9 September 2010

A Fine Romance

Oh goodness me, Saturday suddenly became very exciting when this beautiful new book arrived courtesy of Mr Amazon.




It's the new book by Selina Lake who is responsible for other much-loved favourites such as Bazaar Style and she is also the stylist behind many of the gorgeous features in our fave interiors mags. I have eagerly awaited this title and I am so pleased to report that it certainly doesn't disappoint. True, there is a section with that "everything is white" look which doesn't do it for me but there's so much other lovely stuff to feast one's eyes on in this book that I can forgive that!




The first section is most definitely my very favourite, entitled "Vintage Romantic" though there is plenty more vintage inspiration throughout the book. I will be cobbling together all those boot sale books I couldn't resist because of their beautiful vintage covers and making more of a feature of them.




The homes featured in this book are truly beautiful and inspiring and offer some new ideas on a style with which many of us vintage and shabby chic lovers are now familiar. Some are a bit too way out for me; whilst I've always thought vintage lampshades beautiful, I can't really see me making a teetering pile of them in my living room just for display. There's so much in this book that is great though.





At the back of the book, there's a full listing to tell you the provenance of your favourite photos. I found this really cool and it was interesting to note my fave photos throughout the book came from the same handful of homes. I could track the style through the chapters.





Other than the "white" section, there's plenty of beautiful colour...





I think I could have written a huuuge section on vintage fabrics but this photo of piled-up eidys certainly had my mouth watering!





This kitchen is seriously to-die-for. I mean, a pink kitchen. Can't see me getting away with that here in the HenHouse but it is seriously beautiful.





I simply love both these living rooms. I had seen the one pictured on the right in one of the weekend newspaper supplements a while ago but it was great to see it again here as the quality of the photography in this book is excellent allowing me to study every little detail in depth.





Oh for a girly bathroom like this...





Ah, romance, well who would say no to a bit of that in their lives? And if it's sadly lacking in reality, you won't be disappointed to lose yourselves in the pages of this stunning book. A girl can dream!




22 comments:

  1. I have that book on order! Can't wait for Mr Postie to drop it through the letterbox! xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll certainly be taking a closer look in this book it looks divine I am moving soon and will have a totally new blank canvas to get creative with
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you can get a pink kitchen......you just bring in one "pink" thing occasionally!! Starting with the lightest pink graduating to darker. When asked was that always here - reply yeah.....it was over there - remember........HE!HE!
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love interiors books like this, as they're always full of inspiration. My favourite book of the moment is 'Shed Chic'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like a really lovely book, thank you for showing it to us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been waiting for this one to come out for ages, and it's really good to be seeing helpful reviews of it now. I bought Perfect Country Cottage on the strength of your review, Hen, and I don't think it will be too long before I can find a copy of this one second hand on Amazon, so I won't be too far behind you! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the book with us - this can definitely go on my birthday list. I find it really helpful to see how the stylists put all the bits and pieces together to make a gorgeous whole.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh I'm dying to get that book I've seen it mentioned on a few blogs, looks divine !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing pages of this book. It is nice to see the inside before you buy it, and I think you sold me on this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have literally just ordered this before logging on to my blog!!!! Like minds think alike!!!!!

    I agree with KC'sCourt - My kitchen is now brimming with pink but I did have to do it slowly!!!

    Kerry xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful book, so many inspirational ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is on my wishlist...a perect coffee table book x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well I am off to Amazon right now, you just can't have enough books like this can you?? and it is so exciting when it arrives, I just want to sit and read without any disturbances!! doesn't happen though.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  14. I dream of a pink kitchen too - that's why the laundrey is pink... I would love to make it even prettier in there now - it might make me want to tackle the enormous pile of washing (dairy farmer's wife. xxooxxooxx.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some lovely ideas and photos in the book. The pile of vintage books does indeed look very attractive.
    Thank you for showing us, looks like I might have to pay yet another visit to Mr. Amazon.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh thats a must have book for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post was just what I've been waiting for, some insider pics from this book. It's obviously on the wish lists and I was trying to be restrained about buying it but now I don't see how I can resist!!

    Have a great weekend,

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What lovely eye candy. Thanks for posting pictures; it definitely tipped me in favor of ordering it online!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooo, I love the living room with the wood floor and a supper-fuzzy rug under the table! I have plans for that in my home...some day. Plans, plans, plans...always plans! :D I'm definitely a romantic, a dreamer... Books like these are right up my alley. :) Thanks for sharing Hen!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That one has been on my wish list since I first heard about it. Can't wait to get it. Think it's going to have to be a Christmas wish. Thanks for sharing the lovely pics in the mean time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely Sunday morning browsing Hen, thank you. I feel like I've just had a lovely lazy browse through an interiors mag, or rather, a fab book, I should really have got my cafetiere of coffee sitting next to me whilst reading this. I know they have to do those white sections don't they. In days gone by, it used to be my favourite section, now I easily prefer the coloured sections, funny how tastes change. It's like that when I look through my stash of mags, I used to be obsessed with minimalism, if you can believe that, now it only gets a passing glance. These things sometimes reflect our situation in life too maybe, where we're at emotionally. I currently love the happy Cath K world! Love Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks such a lovely book, will pop it on my ever-growing wish list! Thank you for the tempting photos ...

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X