Monday, 13 September 2010

A Weekend of the Finest Variety

Well some of us have been taking it easy round here. Snuggling this close is a sure sign that the temperature is dropping...




But the rest of the HenHouse have been busy, busy, busy, the weekend passed in a blur but a wonderful blur of happiness. One of those weekends you are sad to see end. Saturday saw an early start in Bridport. We haven't been to the Farmers' Market for some time (the second Saturday of each month) and this time, I was thrilled to find this lady selling her locally home-grown, traditional English cottage garden flowers.





Decisions, decisions...





The Munchkin found a new friend in the form of cute little Bibi. Her owner was equally delightful. Ah, such lovely people in the West Country, unlike miserable old London!





We also met up and had a natter with some lovely folks. More of that later. Next, it was time to whizz back to Somerset and in particular to Ilminster (a little town we know rather well, if for no other reason than its fabulous butcher, made famous in the River Cottage Meat book!) But we were here for another reason, to visit the textiles fair. Oooh, excitement = large! I have never attended this fair before as it is usually held on a week day which makes it impossible for me to get there so I was very pleased that this time, it had been moved to a Saturday. It was held in this picturesque Meeting House, now home to an arts centre.





Who did I find inside but that purveyor of fabulous fabrics, vintage of course, Donna Flower.





Inside, the building was a visual delight (sorry, photos not brilliant as taken on my 'phone).





It was a small fair but a very pretty one.





The boys pretty much repaired straight away to the on site cafe, aka man creche. A great idea!





You know it's a special fair when the vintage goods arrive in true vintage style!





Then it was time to head back to our cottage, but not before an essential stop at the cider farm. It is looking stunning just now, all the apples are ripe and rosy and ready for picking. In a few weeks, the cider production will start in earnest.





Back home, all is looking cosy and inviting...





On Sunday, after a visit to the local tip (oh the glamour!), I am thrilled to arrive home and find a little gift has been left for us by our next door neighbour, in the form of her late mother's button tin.





We also find a couple of stragglers wandering round the village, none other than the delightful Mr and Mrs Snippets, on a weekend jolly from Devon. We have a good old natter over tea and cake before heading off for the boot sale.





All too soon, it is time for us to leave. It was truly a hardship to go, as Sunday was a beautiful day, and we set off just as the sun was casting a beautiful golden hue across the landscape. Mr HH takes time to smell the flowers!





And we did not return home empty handed, of course! I was thrilled to find a vintage crib ripe for a makeover, this one is going to be stunning, it even has a rocking cradle. Can't wait to get started on that. Oh to be a little girl again!





I was also delighted to find these vintage fabrics. I never usually find pretty vintage fabrics at the boot sale, but I was lucky to find and rehome these which had belonged to an elderly lady who had sadly gone into a home. There were fabrics spanning all eras, from this divine 1940's floral here to flower power 1970's numbers! I'm hoping to make a dress from one of my vintage-style Colette patterns. I don't really like dress making, though, so I am psyching myself up for that one!





My other prize finds were these beautiful vintage glass vases.





I mustn't forget to show you this thrifted chap, too...





And the Textile Fair yielded many delights, of course. There was no way I was going to come away from Donna's stall empty handed!





I also bought a lovely selection of patchworking fabrics from Sarah of Blue Zinnia.





A little square of flanelette to add into my "washed and worn" quilt and some beautiful vintage glass buttons also came home with me. The pretty trim was from the car boot (same boot as the vintage fabrics) and the china posy brooch came from the RSPCA charity shop in Bridport.





All in all, a marvellous haul and a fab weekend with my boys. But now it's Monday already and time to get back to work and my latest project...





Toodle-oo for now.

26 comments:

  1. Oooh what a wonderful weekend!! Love your fabric selection - quite jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosho your, what a lot you packed in to your weekend. I'm very envious of the vintage fabrics and the little dog. Must agree with you about West Country people (and Midlanders I hasten to add), it's real relief to us to be away from London (though we do miss ease of travel to exhibitions, concerts etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's a proper weekend indeed.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!What fantastic finds!
    Looks like you had the mother of all weekends with all those goodies.
    The flowers are sooo beautiful.
    And you fabrics too!
    Is that your doggy?
    A Lakeland terrier?
    We have a mini-schnauzer called Stanley but are considering another addition...a Lakeland Terrier.
    Have a great week ahead
    LOVE PEACE enJOY
    Julie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That post made me smile..what a lovely weekend...you do such lovely things xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had such a great weekend together, the photos are great. And what an amazing haul of super finds; the button tin is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely weekend you have, I had the Ilminster fair in my diary but just didn't make it! wish I had.
    Mr & Mrs Snippet look very friendly I have even popped along to her blog! We have a gentlemen who lives in a lovely old cottage near us and grows all these flowers and ready for you to pick up a bunch for just £1 its amazing.
    Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that WAS a proper weekend - you must be a happy bunny with such a brilliant haul of gorgeous finds. You were so lucky to come across all those fabrics, they are amazing! I hope you have lots of fun putting them all to good use - I can't wait to see the results!
    Gorgeous
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was so lovely to see you all on Saturday and have time for a proper chat. You got some beautiful fabrics and haberdashery Hen, and that cot is just divine. Looking forward to seeing what you make with them all x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! It does sound like a fantastic weekend! It must be hard to leave your beautiful cottage behind on Sunday night.
    Have a good week!
    Isabelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! It does sound like a fantastic weekend! It must be hard to leave your beautiful cottage behind on a Sunday night.
    Have a good week!
    Isabelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds like a lovely weekend, and lots of lovely finds there. Was reading Sal's blog about meeting up with you too - sounds like some great weekends were had up there in Dorset. Hope you have a good week too. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the lovely message you left on my blog. Its great that there is a BIG "train set" at the bottom of the road! If you go on the West Somerset Railway let us know......
    You had lovely company and found lovely finds at the weekend I'm so envious
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a perfect weekend! Have fun with your new stash:)
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful weekend, with so much fun packed into it. Gorgeous fabrics, so many possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lovely weekend & great finds too!
    Spookily, I bought the exact same floral glass vase yesterday!

    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for starting off with the photo of the cats. They look so cozy! Your table also looks very inviting. Sounds like quite a weekend and your haul of goods is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great vintage weekend you had! Love the little dog the muchin was making friends with, is it a lakeland terrier? the flowers were fab, a great blast of colour, Linda x x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow - love those Zinging Zinnias! By the way, I just got my crochet hook case - it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do admire you for having he get up and go to go to the West Country over the weekend. I'm far too lazy! :-)

    How sweet of the neighbour to give you that tin. Fits in the cottage perfectly.

    Sian x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the sleepy kitties and the beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Had I known that I was going to have tea with the Queen,I would have packed a dress, you know!;-)
    Lovely to see you all...and especially lovely to see Harry with his head in a book and enjoying his reading!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That weekend more enjoyable, fun and fruitful. Beautiful photos and great shopping.
    Kiss

    ReplyDelete
  24. How absolutely wonderful, no wonder you didn't want it to end!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks like that fair might have been really nice, it's totally the kind of events I would go to...lucky you!
    Oh, and can i just say - what cute adorable cats you have! They look so comfy on that bed cover.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It looks like that fair might have been really nice, it's totally the kind of events I would go to...lucky you!
    Oh, and can i just say - what cute adorable cats you have! They look so comfy on that bed cover.

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X