Thursday, 7 October 2010

Oh Boy

Recently, one of my very good customers asked me to make a quilt for a baby boy with Cath Kidston fabrics as its theme, to be soft and cuddly. I was more than happy to oblige!





So, it was away with all the pink and flowery stuff that usually proliferates around here and out with Stanley, trains, planes and boats. Did I forget cowboys? How could I!





This is sized at approximately 40" x 48" to fit a standard sized baby cot. I enjoyed working on this, its slightly smaller size made it easier to handle, a treat after all those large quilts of recent days!





I went out specially to get some boyish blue flanelette to back the quilt and it has pure cotton batting inside so it is nice and natural for baby. As you can see, I've bound it with my favourite red polka dot cotton, the red in the Cath Kidston fabrics cried out for this, I thought.





I hope the expectant mum will be thrilled with this, what a lovely gift from my thoughtful customer and I hope baby, when he arrives, will love this blanky for years to come.





I loved making this such that I am going to make a baby girl's version too, yes all in pinks and flowers, of course! I will offer both for sale on a commission basis via my blogshop. I love to think of new born babies snuggling up under quilts made by my fair hands, an honour indeed.

22 comments:

  1. Oh my that is gorgeous
    Julie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is amazing! I really love the CK theme - what a lucky baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. another vote for gorgeous from another Julie!!

    What a lucky baby - and I bet the pink one will look equally lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww thats really lovely what a beautiful present, love the idore of the flannet behind. Dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another gorgeous quilt Hen...and I love the design! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it's just lovely - what a lucky baby! The binding is the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. really lovely, one of the nicest boy quilts I have seen x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, perfect for a very lucky baby boy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hen,You have done it again.So nice to see a boy's quilt with such lovely fabric -I'm sure it will be an heirloom.What a brilliant present.
    Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!! I just love it and I know my boys would too. Love Kate xxooxx.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hen, you've done it again, the quilt is gorgeous, what a lucky baby to recieve such a beautiful present.
    Have a great weekend.
    Linda O xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is so beautiful, what a lucky baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a lovely post today Hen....if I get my baby wish, I may well put your details on my must haves for baby list!
    I think all babies should have a handmade quilt......so very cute!
    Stanley looks so pleased to be helping you with your quit post today!
    I so wish I had bought him when I had the chance! :>(
    Have a super duper weekend, we are off to the the Rut at Dunham and apple day at Quarry bank this weekend! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are a great idea. I made one for my sister a while back for her very brightly coloured nursery (not as good as your lovely quilts though!): http://www.flickr.com/photos/32643460@N07/3413754363/

    I was actually wondering if you would help me publicise my charity raffle. I'm giving away a really pretty eiderdown for Alzheimer's Society to try and raise as much as I can. I don't really have the readership on my blog and would so love your help! If you could either blog, tweet or add the button to your sidebar that would be a huge help.

    Thanks

    Sian x

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely, snuggly quilt. I have been looking through your original posts, even though I visit your blog regularly I hadn't read the ones at the beginning. I love the first quilt you made, the really easy one. Also, I think your blog is very nostalgic and homely - I love reading about your life and crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Hen, Thank you for popping by!
    I'm so enjoying a day at home, guess what I'm watching? the Darlings buds of May....I never seem to tire of it!
    I'm reading my new Cath book, I'm so falling in love with needle work again!
    I'm hoping to pop to my local haberdashery this Wednesday, to check out the wools and threads.....now the evenings are drawing in, I need something to keep my mind of the fact the sun has gone away! boo! :>(

    Take care,
    Melxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Hen, the quilt is lovely - can't wait to see the pink version! Hope you are all well xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a gorgeous quilt for wrapping baby up in, just right for the winter ahead.

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X