Ok, so it's really not that bad here at all, though the snow certainly came down very quickly on Saturday, just as I was going up the road in the car. I swiftly (well very slowly actually) turned back and off we set on foot instead. This also sadly meant that our visitors were not able to make it up to see us which was a shame. Hopefully, the roads may improve later in the week because I want to give them their Christmas gift, something on which I've been beavering away for a few months now. You may remember my post about sludge here. Well, the fabric finally made its way here from America so this week saw a flurry of activity to finish off the Dreamcatcher quilt. Washing line reveals are not really a reality (I'm tempted though, to show you the Christmas quilt I've made for us!), so Mr HenHouse kindly obliged before he set off for work this morning. Et voila!
Sorry the photo is not great and has played with the colours a bit. I must say, this quilt has been a lot of work. I am really pleased with it now it's finished, though.
This was the first quilt I had made which had the blocks set on point (in a diamond shape rather than as squares) which meant setting them with side and corner triangles of cream background fabric. This actually went relatively easily and creates quite an interesting effect.
I was very pleased to see that the fabrics I ordered for the setting triangles, sashing and binding were just what I wanted. Sometimes, fabrics look very different in real life from how they look on the screen. Fat Quarter Shop has a very good selection of Civil War prints and their service is excellent. I quilted the long brown sashing strips with a sort of oval shape which I did by cutting ovals out of freezer paper, temporarily ironing them in place (freezer paper has a slightly sticky backing) and then sewing round them with a walking foot. This is the first time I have done this, having read about the technique in Mary Mashuta's machine quilting book. I must say, this really was not easy! I used a gorgeous very thick batting in this quilt (my favourite Dream Cotton, this time in deluxe weight,) which made it very heavy to manoeuvre. You might just be able to make out the oval quilting in the photo below.
The top and bottom borders were pieced with many 2.5" squares and I think this really sets off the main body of the quilt and my squares have all lined up quite nicely. Phew!
I was pleased to find a 108" wide backing fabric which is a Civil war print. I still cut this in half and pieced the back to save on wastage. I bound the quilt with another attractive small flowered Civil War print (these were designed by Judie Rothermel who specialises in reproducing historical designs).
And so with the addition of a patch made from vintage embroidered cloth on the back stating my details as the maker (quilters are encouraged to mark their quilts for future historical reference) and a message to the recipients, this quilt is all ready to be wrapped up and go off to its new home.
Much as sludge is not really my thing, I am both happy and sad to see this one go.
I'm happy it is going to a new and hopefully appreciative home to keep some special people warm but this quilt was a little labour of love and you know, it really did look rather nice in the sitting room!