Tuesday, 25 January 2011

And Another!

Hello and welcome to what is apparently officially the most depressing day of the year (I thought they said that last Monday?) Anyway, don't worry as it's only exactly eleven months until next Christmas Day! I will do my best to cheer things up with today's piccies.

Saturday saw a fine but very chilly day in my beloved Bridport. Ah yes, Bridport is worth braving the miserable West Country weather which I thought I'd left behind when I left home eighteen years ago (gulp, I'm really getting very old now). The upside was that it was rather quiet around town and parking easy (any of you who have been to Bridport will know it's usually challenging to say the least). On the street market, I made an interesting find...





Something drew me to this box with it's removable little top shelf and sturdy iron handle. I think part of it was that old label just about hanging onto the front. I think it's very fitting for our house which might once have had a few servants to keep all the fireplaces swept and lit, beating all the rugs and watering all the aspidistras! I see it though, filled with contrasting pretty things, maybe in my Den, quite likely on my stall filled with dinky things I've made. We'll see but it did have to come home.





Something else which finally found room in the car was this...





This pinky Lloyd Loom style chair we found in a skip outside the auctioneers last Summer and so back to the cottage it duly went (amazing what you find in auctioneers' skips!) I pulled off all the old horsehair and hessian seat covering as it was wet and horrid and now I am going to effect a little transformation.


Did any of you spot anything else of interest in the photos? Something a bit like this?





Indeed like this!





This is my latest quilt to come into being, started about two weeks ago. The design is taken from Kim Diehl's book "Simple Comforts". It's not perhaps my usual style but it is certainly a beautiful book which lives up to its name, everything looks deliciously cosy and comforting. The "High Cotton" quilt graces the front cover and caught my eye straight away. Kim's is made in possibly brighter fabrics but I had been looking for a project to use up some of the Civil War stash left over from the sludge quilt and when I saw this, I knew this was it!





With today's breeze, it is certainly living up to its name!





It was quite a simple design to execute but very effective, think.





I have backed the quilt with cosy red flannel and the suggested black ditsy flowered cotton for binding. Oooh, I can't wait to get cosy with it!





Charlie Boy beat me to it though!





Hmm, now I am a woman in need of a new project...




42 comments:

  1. Its is so depressing with all this rain, so nice to see your lovely things. That chair was a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooohh...lovely house maids box....a true piece of social history...just my kind of thing!
    Lovely quit Henx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Hen!!! This is by far upmost favourite of all of your creations!!! You have inspired me to get a jog on with my own next project.

    A question I have been meaning to ask you is - what type of "quilt" do you use? Your blankets look quite thin - in comparision to my 1st attempt, as shown on my "Pretty Patches" post?

    Have you ever thought of doing tutorials?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hen, you are a one-woman quilt making miracle! And there was I thinking I'd done well to make a cafetiere cosy and jacket this week.
    That is a super design,the red flannel lining makes me think of Mammy and her treasured red flannel petticoat in 'Gone With the Wind'.
    Very envious of your Bridport market find- fabulous. Makes me even more wistful for Bridders...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm I love Bridport too! Therre's a lovely buzz about it on a Saturday isn't there? You have been busy - another stunning quilt. Whenever I read your blog my girls always ask if there are any cat pictures. Today I have my youngest home poorly from school so she delighted in seeing Charlie Boy.
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those finds hen andf your gorgeous quilt. Good heavens you are so fast!! I really must get going on another one myself x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yet another lovely quilt Hen :) Just the thing on a wet and windy day like this. The housemaids box is a fab find x

    ReplyDelete
  8. The wooden box looks lovely, it can also become a quilting magazines holder. The quilt is amazing and you have been so quick in making it. Did I tell you that I love your turquoise small table in the previous post? A real bargain! Bye for now, Clara.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for coming back to me! :) I shall keep my eyes peeled for that book :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely quilt-tastic very Little House on the Prarie - you really are a whizz with the quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilt is gorgeous - matching all those little seams is truly amazing of you!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi I'm pretty sure you'll have a new project up your sleeve. Are you going for some kind of world record with your quilting!!?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Hen that quilt is gorgeous..it looks vintage..you kept that well hidden!

    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the housemaids box - a good find, well done! And the quilt's beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely post...so many lovely things. Love the quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. how pretty, who could be depressed by a gloomy jan with those finds, or your lovely blog!
    i love the box so much!! (and charlie)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great find the Housemaids box.
    I love that quilt it is very very pretty
    Julie xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the housemaid's box.. I have a cutlery box similar but it's got a nice satiny finish on it. You really get your quilts done lickety-split!

    I enjoy your blog and read each new post..

    Teresa in Corbett, Oregon USA

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful box, I can see why you didn't leave that behind!

    Another gorgeous quilt Hen.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is indeed a very effective quilt design, looks lovely, don't blame Charlie Boy for commandeering it, he obviously has impeccable taste.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. beautiful quilt hen.... whats next?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely finds, and your quilt is beautiful 2 weeks to make..wow thats amazing i love the small squares going through it makes it look really retro. Enjoy it, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are awesome at quilting! :-) the chair is a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the housemaid box & the quilt is beautiful :) x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous quilt, Hen. How long did it take you to make it? I am piecing the top of a quilt; it's been a year in the making so far - oops!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Look forward to seeing what you do with the scrummy pink chair. I bought myself quite a few "projects" at Kempton yesterday, which I will blog soon! Lizzie xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm rather envious of your housemaids box! such a lucky find.... amazing that the label survived all those chores. Your quilts are beautiful, I loved the rupert one, Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a fantastic box. Bridport looks to be a pandora's box. Definitely worth a visit I feel ..... x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hen it is DIVINE~your quilt, the colours are heavenly right up my lane!
    I love the red blanket backing and the edging, ooh waxing lyrical, if you should ever tire of her I shall be happy to adopt her here S-J-D-T-L HQ!

    Love Sarah XxX

    ReplyDelete
  30. Can't wait to the chair transformation! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great quilt! I haven't seen any of K. Diehl's recent books, I guess I should check them out. :) I love the housemaid's box, and I can't wait to see the chair transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ohoo what pretty finds :0) I am considering getting a light box, failing that shall shove a torch in my face, I detest these first two months of the year, so glum am I. Thank you for your lovely comment, don't think deep down am an owl person, those eyes ;0)

    Foxes, goodness me, I bet you shall have fun.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hen what lovely finds and a beautiful quilt-in only two weeks? amazing!
    Charlie Boy has taste!
    love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, that quilt is fab! Absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. woo wee, great finds and as for that quilt, did I really read that it took you two weeks, takes me forever to bind up my quilts, think I have at least four waiting... need your conviction... thanks for sharing, it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  36. hello, so love your quilts ,what a talent you have , pure vintage the housemaids box , can't wait to see the chair kind regards Tudor Rose

    ReplyDelete
  37. I agree Hen, never too old for a floral or two, or three or four
    ;0) Yes I think used with a simple plain piece can look very striking, I like to wear little floral tops with white linen trousers in the summer, very chic...Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love Bridport market and we have never come away without buying something. Love your quilt.
    Jillx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hello!Sono capitata per caso sul tuo blog e fai delle cose bellissime!!!
    Beatrice

    ReplyDelete
  40. Amazing it. So many lovely things. kisses. congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I've said it before, Hen, you always find the best treasure!!
    Looking forward to the chair transformation.
    And yet another beautiful quilt, love the red backing, it will be so cosy, I expect your next quilt is on the go already!!!! You are so quick.
    Linda O

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X