Tuesday, 1 February 2011

Bouncing

Well it's been a busy week here in the HenHouse. It's that time of year to get going with these ingredients...





The whiskey is out not only because my Dad has been staying (I think the stuff is vile), but because it's an essential added ingredient to delicious Seville orange marmalade. I always get lots done when my mum comes to stay!





There she is manning the old fashioned peel slicer. I bought this years back from a vintage stall and I wouldn't use anything else to cut the peel, it gives you perfectly thin slivers to suspend in the jewel toned jelly.





But it's not all work you know, I do allow my staff a break - and even a piece of the almost-disappeared Christmas cake, served on my newly found vintage plate!





In the evening, the reward for all of Saturday's hard work was a trip here, the marvellous Spitfire Bounce...





Over the last year, Mr HenHouse and I have been spending the odd Saturday night in Erith of all places, at this very special dance, 1940's style.





It's a fabulous night; only £7 to get in (it is held in the local community hall,) free tea, coffee and doughnuts all night (bring your own booze), and fantastic music of course.





These dances are held once every other month. There's always a great friendly atmosphere, the organisers go to a lot of trouble to decorate the hall and most people dress '40's style.








There are always a couple of stalls selling either real vintage or repro vintage clothing.





This lady always has some tempting real vintage pieces including great hats, very reasonably priced.





The music comes from either the '40s or the early 1950's and the items on offer reflect this. These saddle shoes were popular back in the day.





As were these splendid ties, if you were a spiv or of a flamboyant nature!





There's a table groaning with leaflets for other '40s events to attend, including dance classes. I love these for the fabulous vintage-style artwork.





Not forgetting the dancing of course. There is no shortage of very talented people willing to get up on the floor. Not being dancers ourselves (yet!), we are happy to sit and watch, mesmerised.











This chap can handle two ladies at once!








And this chap is a superb dancer, I've never seen someone with so much energy, he is a real treat to watch.





The strolling always gets lots of people up on the floor. This sort of dance has everyone in lines, all following the same footwork and rotating 90 degrees at the end of each sequence.





Then of course, there are the folks sitting at the back and being very silly indeed!




39 comments:

  1. What fantastic fun, I would love to go to something like that but alas would have to sit and watch as I have two left feet and no rhythm! Bet the marmalade tastes yummy.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a handy litle gadget that peel slicer.I have and old mincer in the garage,which I picked up in a car boot I think.I've never used it but I can remember as a child turning the handle for my Mum when she was using hers.
    That night out looked so much fun! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your marmalade sounds great. I love your vintage peel slicer. When I've made marmalade before I've always been really worried that when my fingers get really sticky and orangey the knife will slip and it'll end up as Blood Orange Marmalade. We used the last of our 2009 stock on a Scottish Trifle for New Year's Eve - maybe it's time to make some more?

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow what a weekend delicious marmalade making and then a wonderful evening.. I want to go
    xx fee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I love whisky marmalade (although I don't like to drink whisky!). That dance looks great fun - I bet there was a great atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy to the homemade marmalade.
    The dance looks so much fun, they really have gone to town with the decoration of the hall. Is'nt bunting a wonderful creation x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like serious fun! Much better than anything local to me :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kind of evening.....we had such fun learning to Lindy hop......we still enjoy a twirl at home!

    I'm looking forward to the next 1940's day near us!

    Have a great week Henx

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I saw the first pic I thought that you were preparing crepes, but then realised that it is not pancke day yet! Whilst we were in Morocco I saw a young couple pick oranges from a tree, each of them peeled and bit into one, the look on their faces was really funny - Seville oranges!
    The only thing missing from that lovely dance is a picture of you and Mr Hen in your outfits!
    T X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that looks like great fun! I'm sure you'll be up to dancing speed soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What fun the dance looks... and free doughnuts you say?!

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. O Wow that dance looks like an amazing fun evening i wish we had something like that here. dee x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun event! I just love the dancing!!
    Thank you so much for the kind comments you have left on my blog following the birth of Sophie! Its a bit of a struggle to get on line as often but I enjoy keeping up to date with everyone's posts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks like great fun - Bit random but I bought a pair of men's 1940's trousers from a flea market they have button fly, buttons for braces, adjustable back and turn ups they are roughly a size 36 waist if you or anyone you know would like them - for free- let me know. They have been hand washed but would probably benefit from a dry clean - they are beige colour. It's a shame for them not to be used.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely idea - to hold an event like that! It looked so much fun!
    You said it was held in Erith - surely not Erith in South East London???
    -x-

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm afraid I do, though strictly speaking I think it's in Kent?!
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What amazing fun you had - wish I lived closer!
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like a lot of fun!!!!
    Lovin your blog as always

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks like it was a wonderful night. I only wish we had events like that near us, although I don't think Husband would be into whisking me around the dancefloor like those chaps!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow looks like a wonderful night out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I am loving the sound (and look) of your marmelade...yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks like so much fun! I hope you do some dancing! Mmm, orange marmalade. Does your mom sew and crochet as well? Your dad is just adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That looks great fun.
    I haven't found any seville oranges this year.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a fantastic treat hen.....thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a brilliant machine you found and your Mum looks an expert. It looks like a great evening out - I think there should be more of these sort of events, certainly better than staying in on a Saturday night!!
    Jillx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your marmalade looks gorgeous. Lucky you having a 40s night nearby. I wish someone would organise something like that up here: I'd been there like a shot lol!

    Shirl x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your Saturday night out looks like great fun. X

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh what a wonderful event, I wish there was something like that going on around here!
    love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh the spitfire bounce looks like great fun!...
    you are very talented....quilts and marmalade and whatnot...well done.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great event! I would lovee for something like this near me... Thank you for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this post memories of times past:-)
    Can you help with one of your older posts, tea at the palace? I can't find it, my sister is travelling to England in a year and would love to do this (we are in AUstralia) so it would be great to pass on any info....
    I enjoy reading your blog sooo much, I am a sewer and knitter too, you are so quick at producing quilts! My email is
    levay1@bigpong.com

    xx Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  32. Marmalade making is always best when you have help!!!
    And the dance looks like great fun, nothing like that seems to happen down here, although I'm not sure I could get my hubbie to go with me anyway!!!
    Linda O xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love your vintage orange peeler! Memories with your Mom like this are priceless. I remember many times with my Mom that I cherish.
    The dancing looks like so much fun.
    Really enjoyed your post this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh my goodness! This dance looks like such fun! What a lovely idea, and great exercise :) Plus I loved seeing your mom making the marmelade. I love the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Hen
    I will keep an eye open for an eidy in red with little rosebuds on for you on my travels.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a great Mum and what great fun! Good clean fun never goes out of style.

    I see your Miss Marple over there>

    I am getting our daughter (13) addicted to Hercule Poirot. The art deco sets are DIVINE.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lovely outing, thank you Hen! My feet were tapping as I watched those fab dancers do their bit. Isn't it fun! Love that you make your own marmalade, that's splendid! Love Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  38. what a fab night out....oh if I had a social life this would be the one I wanted... Anyone for babysitting... Ha Ha

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X