Sunday, 27 February 2011

A Week of the Busy Kind

Well here we are, the end of another half term week. Peace shall be restored tomorrow! We've managed to pack quite a lot into the week. After our trip to Frome on Monday, the Munchkin and I were feeling inspired so after a very late night spent googling anything and everything to do with papier mache, Wednesday afternoon saw us getting downright sticky and messy!





I surprised myself with how much I liked doing this. It was strangely relaxing and therapeutic. I didn't even let the mess bother me (too much)! I'm not saying we have made anything particularly recognisable but we enjoyed ourselves and tried something new. Our creations are not finished yet, of course. If you have children, I highly recommend giving this a go with them. After all, entertainment doesn't get much cheaper than flour, salt and water (to make the glue) and some shredded up paper, does it?





There was a trip into the Old Smoke which just happened to take in Cath K, looking particularly pretty with all the new ranges.





Everywhere it seems, there are finally beautiful and seasonal flowers to buy relatively cheaply.






Back at home, things have been a-changin'!







We've decided to give over a guest room which rarely gets used to a playroom for the Munchkin. This has nothing to do with getting his Hornby off my quilting table, of course. As such, it was time for the ladder bed to go so that the beds from the guest room could move into Munchkin's room, making way in there for all his toys (junk).


Oh happy days. Now there are two beds in the Munchkin's room (did someone say "sleepover"? Aaarrrrgghhhh!), it became blindingly clear that one had a patchwork quilt and the other most definitely needed one. Well I'm just the girl!






The sun is miraculously shining today so out into the garden we go for the "Yee Ha, Friendship Star" quilt ta-dahhhhh! Someone else is enjoying the sunshine, he's escaped from the open window in my Den onto the roof. Bad kitty!






So here it is.






The blocks are made of a design called "friendship star" which is very easy to execute, basically made up of squares and half square triangles.






I decided to add sashing and posts and a blue dotty binding.






It looks delightfully vintagey and crumpled already as a bad accident with red wine whilst sitting on the sofa sewing the binding meant it had to go straight in the washer. Thankfully, it is relatively unmarked. The backing is cosy white flannel and the quilting is simple, quarter inch lines in the sashing.






It looks a treat on the Munchkin's "spare bed".






Now, it's time for a girly, pretty project! I'm thinking Liberty...


29 comments:

  1. Love your new patchwork quilt so pretty so boys or girls. Papier Mache is fun, I remember doing some in primary school, we covered balloons and then made masks for ourselves. Hope you have a lovely Sunday :)

    All things nice...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh a playroom!! How lucky is that lad of yours!
    Love the quilt! ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Munchkin looks to be enjoying himself, it is a (very) long time ago but I remember making puppets with paper mache heads. Some amazing creations being produced now. I've checked and the "Smile" exhibition is indeedy coming to a gallery near me this summer, great.
    The new quilt is brilliant, you are such a quick worker. Oops, red wine! Glad it didn't spoil your lovely creation.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely job Hen, wish I was as speedy as you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very smart! The quilt is absolutely lovely like all of your lovely quilts.
    Sleep overs aren't too bad - taking from one who knows, you just have to be very strict and keep it to a minimum, and lots of food!
    Next time you do papier mache can I come and play its not much fun doing it on your own!!
    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful quilt! looks fab on the bed, papier mache is such fun I am a big fan of it but dont do the flour mix, i use watered down PVA glue no less messy though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Hen, Inspired by your photos in your last post my eldest has been busy paper macheing a pyramid for her half term Egyptian homework. She's printed facts about pyramids in different fonts so you can read it too! Will post some pics on my blog later. Looks like you've been having quite a quiltathon at the Hen House - another stunner.
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I used to love doing papier mache! Lovely quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Hen! Just getting caught up on all of your posts! Beautiful quilts as always, and I love your guest room. I would love to someday have my craft/sewing room in a space like that! I also love seeing photos of your cozy house, and of course your kitties. That one of the two of them together was so sweet!
    Blessings! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love paper mache!!!! Theo mad a dinosaur egg as part of his school's Art Week in February - looked fab I must say!!!
    Love the new quilt too - looking fab on the spare bed!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful days... so full of goodness.
    I love the new quilt. It is charming and obviously lovingly made.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful the new so boyish quilt turned out. Love the pattern. I remember paper mache from my art class in high school. I spent many free hours making paper mache birds to hang around the school Christmas tree one year. Cardinals, Blue Jays ect. I had forgotten about that until reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the new quilt for the 'sleepover' bed :) It really does have a lovely vintage feel to it x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paper mache and patchworking? What could be better! Lovely new quilt. And.. yes... Liberty for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Hen - that quilt is a beauty. Am looking forward to seeing your paper creations. I read your blog whilst in Devon over the half term and found out about the exhibition in Frome - on Thursday we ventured there. Thankyou for that. We had a great day. That shop was, as you said, very tempting. We came away with the Julie Arkell book and also the Craig Mitchell one as I really liked his work too.
    June.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is such a lovely quilt and a very masculine one at that with the cowboy motifs. I've always has a soft spot for Just William and still have a dip into the books now and then; they always cheer me up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. O wow i love your new quilt, where as hexagons are joined together to make the quilt, are the stars and squares joined onto a large piece of fabric? it looks great on your sons bed. I love seeing your quilts im still doing my hexagons and i have yet to work out how to do the joining of all 3 pieces together and to do the binding. Have a lovely week, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember doing papier mache with the children at my nursery school.We made clown heads..great fun! Another fab quilt there Hen.
    Looking forward to spending my voucher at CK soon! It's going to be difficult to decide what to buy,so much loveliness! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The quilt is wonderful you did a beautiful job on that!! Love all the colors ~Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Hen. I love doing papier mache though I never seem to achieve much with it! Gorgeous quilt you have there x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just found you today! What a heavenly quilt! The colors are wonderful! Well done you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are so amazing ... and so is your latest quilt! Hope you'll share your papier mache creations! Bess

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't know how you do it all Hen! Can't wait to see what you make with the papier mache - really enjoyed the previous post about that too. The new quilt looks fantastic in Harry's room, he must be thrilled with it all.I wasn't such a fan of Just William as a child although my sister was but I do love him now - really enjoyed the latest TV version too.
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for the lovely Spring-y post. It's still gray, white, brown Winter here in the middle of the US. I'm longing for spring and your post made me smile. Love the new quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have been looking for a quilt pattern to make a quilt for a friend I have had since I can remember. Her mom and mine were in the same hospital room after our births on the same day. Friendship star. How appropriate. I will have to find the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a beautiful quilt! And it looks so inviting on the guest bed! Have fun with those sleepovers :).

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your quilt is so sweet! I love all of those prints, and the spotted blue binding is perfect! As for the red wine....believe it or not....to remove a red wine spot, you can use white wine. It sounds crazy, but my mother-in-law spilled red wine on her rug (not that you can throw that into the wash) and we poured white wine over it and it came right out! I can't remember where I read that, but it does work. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Papier mache - that takes me bag. Love the quilt! x

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's wonderful, Hen! You little one has such a wonderful mom! :)

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X