Wednesday, 9 March 2011

Brooch Love




A few weeks ago, some gorgeous vintage quilt pieces caught my eye on the Louise Loves website. Louise has the most beautiful vintage items for sale at very reasonable prices and I have succumbed to them several times, both from her website and in person when she had a unit in Ludlow. (She now has a shop in Ross on Wye which one day I hope to visit). At the time of ordering, I had no idea what I was going to do with these little quilty pieces but I was delighted when I opened up the parcel upon arrival. There were lots of good sized pieces, the fabrics and quilting were to die for. They also felt divine, so soft, and I whiled away a pleasant time fondling them and marvelling at them! What to do with them? Well, just to collect and admire them, to be inspired by them.








In the meantime, I've been busy hand sewing and whipping up some pretty new brooches for my shop. When it came to displaying them, a vintage gilt frame picked up from a boot sale and the quilt pieces came into their own...







The first lot of brooches are in a collage style and take images of vintage floral tea and cigarette cards as their central inspiration. I had a most enjoyable time pairing them up with vintage trimmings, fabrics and buttons.




















I also got busy with my finest vintage fabrics and hand embroidery to produce these "cameo style" brooches, complete with vintage diamante.



















I enjoyed making the backs just as beautiful as the fronts.







These, and many others, have all been placed in my Etsy store, where they are waiting anxiously like a line of blushing school girls, wanting to be chosen for their first dance!

24 comments:

  1. There are really pretty..you do have such great ideas Hen! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely, you clever lady x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos today!

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous, you pay so much attention to detail! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the brooches - absolutley gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite gorgeous & beautiful.. as are all your creations! Lizzie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those brooches are smashing and so pretty. im loving those quilt patches though really beautiful. dee x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have been on the Louise Loves website there are some lovely things there - I bought my mum a brooch there for Christmas. Love your creations with those pieces of quilts - you could make some for Mother's Day!
    June.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are gorgeous
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those quilted bits are lovely-look great behind the delicious brooches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those cameo brooches really are gorgeous. Clever, clever you. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad the tickets arrived OK! I might have a couple of bits you may like for Shepton.... will blog them at the weekend! Lizzie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea those brooches are and perfectly set off by the quilty frames.
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea those brooches are and perfectly set off by the quilty frames.
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous Hen and I love the framed piece of quilt too. Which one are you going to wear today? Love Kate xxooxx.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely brooches Hen, very pretty. I love the quilt pieces.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful Helen, so neatly crafted (as is everything you make)
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely Hen :) I like the special brooch, so me.... think my friends would agree!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such beautiful work! ... :0)

    Shirl x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love, love, love my brooch thank you for getting it to me so soon, its beautiful. I blogged about it today! Love all your things!
    Best wishes
    Sally x

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG my heart melts...these are just sooo cute! Where did you egt your inspiration from?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I went straight after those quilt pieces but they had gone!! Lucky you they are lovely and I love what you have done with them. Gorgeous pics as usual......Mmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X