Friday, 11 March 2011

Spring Fling Bags

I'm pleased to say that over the last couple of weeks, I've managed to finish a lot of projects I had on the go which means I've been able to start stocking my online shops again. The reds and greens of Christmas have been packed away and forward it is with a fresh new palette of colours and materials. Spring is such a fantastic time to start afresh, the colours abounding in nature are probably my favourite of any time of year; blue hyacinths, yellow daffs, red tulips, pink blossom. Ahh, it even starts to smell fresh, don't you think?





Today is really lovely here in the capital, so I grabbed the camera and headed oudoors. No need for even a cardi! On Tuesday, I finally set to and managed to finish the four messenger style bags I had been making for sale following your very kind enthusiasm at the one I made for myself a few weeks ago.





I raided my hand dyed vintage wool and I lined each bag with a different equally glorious vintage floral cotton.





The fronts have distinctive patchworked panels with beautiful vintage flowery fabrics, these usually date to around 1930-1950, my favourite period for fabrics. There's also a dash of hand embroidery and each has a vintage button too (though these are just decorative, the bags close with magnetic snaps for ease).





I've popped these in my blog shop should you feel the need to treat yourself!





Well, I must now head downstairs and get on with decorating the cake for a family birthday on Sunday. Eeek, I am much more comfortable in front of the sewing machine and although I seem to have started a new quilt this morning, I really cannot delay (any longer) the marzipan-ing and later, icing! I hope you all have a lovely weekend, my wonderful readers. See you bright and breezy next week.



31 comments:

  1. Lovely pretty spring pictures!xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very smart bags, they will go with anything.
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the messenger bags, they are so pretty!
    I have a large vintage blanket waiting to be dyed, but not sure whether machine dying is better than cold dye in a bucket for wool? Am a bit nervous about using the machine!
    Love the little brooches in your last post too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bags are FABULOUS! They really make you feel all Spring-y! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  5. real beauties...happy weekend hen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those bags are beautiful i adore the colours so girly and fresh, enjoy doing your cake, have a lovely weekend, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the bags, especially that wide strap that won't dig into your shoulder. Love the little strip of quilting too; it adds a lot to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What gorgeous bag's in such wonderful colours x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely bags - I admired the pink one you were modelling at the Vintage Jumble sale! Hope the family party goes well. We're just off to take 4 grandsons swimming - aaaarrrgghh!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So gorgeous. I love the pink one! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love them! I'm glad to hear of the warm weather. We're having spots of it now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bags are beautiful! I especially love the grey one and would love to buy but sadly I can't afford! But I hope someone does because they'll feel very special I'm sure! They look so well made and beautifully finished :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bet that fabric feels really lovely.As well as looking it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such gorgeous and colourful bags - you do have very creative and clever fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, these are so lovely, Hen! I'm so. very. tempted. to spring for that grey/blue bag because it's gorgeous and because I admire your work. How I wish the exchange rate were just a little more favorable for me at the moment!

    Spring is such an inspirational time of year. I'm happy that the weather is improving to the point that I can get back to painting furniture. I just want to create, create, create right now!

    Take care and best wishes,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  16. My name is Tuca. I really enjoyed your blog. I'm using google to write to you. I'm from Brazil
    I really enjoyed your blog. I also have a blog.
    do all these things you have in the blog
    Nice to meet you
    My blog http://filhasdapucka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely Hen. Have a good weekend :) x

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look lovely. I've been looking for something like this as a pressie for my friend. Guess what - I bought one on folksy yesterday. Damn. Maybe one for me then if I can sneak another handbag past management?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your messenger bags are simply adorable. What a fabulous way to herald the coming of spring.

    Ruby x

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh Hen I love your bags, they are so pretty! fliss xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello, my name is Jude and I've just started following you...love the bags.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love those bags ...and the brooches are super did you learn to make them at the Julie Arkell workshop then? lucky you if you did get to go I'd love to go on one ...one day (looks all misty eyed!) Mr D says they can run the bookshop together and take bets on who can insult the customers first!!Lovely to see you at the jumble the other day hope you brought home some treasure x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I imagine having one of your felt purses would be as nice as being a child and getting to take a favorite stuffed animal along on trips. It would definitely be nice to hold on a city bus or subway.

    You are definitely right. There is something fresh in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Not been to a JA workshop yet, Clare but watch this space over the next few months!
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Hen

    Lovely bags! Definitely have aSpring feeling to them.
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Super cute bags, perfect for spring!! I love them!
    Chris :o)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your little bags are super cute, and so in tune with the upcoming spring! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello, My names Sally Mayer and I'm a third year currently studying printed textiles and surface pattern design at Leeds College of Art. I really enjoy your blog and would really appreciate it if I could contact you about a future in crafts? My email address is sallyjanemayer@hotmail.co.uk.

    Thanks,

    Sally

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X