Friday, 20 May 2011

Dresden Time

I haven't forgotten (of course not), in fact I have been looking forward very much to sharing the finished Dresden Plate quilt with you. It was a brilliantly enjoyable quilt to make from start to finish.






I was admiring my neighbour Jane's garden and asked her if I might borrow it for a little photo session. She thought I was a bit batty but hey ho! Her garden looks beautiful. Her little cottage is attached to ours, it's single storey and it is thought that it was once the pound for the animals (it is believed our cottage was once part of a farmhouse, built circa 1500-1550). She has really made something of both the house and garden in the long time she has lived there. I do enjoy her garden rather vicariously.






Anyhow, back to the Dresden. Here it is! I used plain white cotton for the background, plain delphinium blue for the sashing (both quilting weight cotton from my local shop), and Amy Butler solids in pink for the corner stones. The much-desired yellow for the flower centres came from The Cotton Patch.






The plates are made with my beloved 1930s/'40s reproduction prints. I used 55 different designs! Golly, from where did those all come? I buy these mainly from America (Fat Quarter Shop, Calico Cottage Quilt Shop) and also the fairs and quilt shops I visit here in Blighty. My sister buys me a fair few on her travels too.






The quilt is entirely machine pieced, appliqued (using a tiny blanket stitch) and quilted. I love the look of hand pieced quilts, I just don't have the patience! I did spend a while on the quilting: outlining a quarter of an inch inside each block, round each Dresden Plate, round each central yellow circle and finally in a cross through each pink cornerstone. Not as easy as straight forward ditch quilting (not that I am saying that's easy to do perfectly) but I like the effect and am getting better the more I practise, of course.







To keep with the traditional feel, it is backed with the same white cotton and I used the delphinium blue for binding. I have washed it already and it has gone deliciously crumply!






It hasn't eclipsed the spiderweb quilt as my favourite but I am very pleased with it.


Might I just say a very heartfelt thank you to the many of you who took the time to leave a comment or email me following my nan's death recently. I did enjoy sharing all of your own reminisces about your grandmothers and it's clear we all agree, they always have a special place in our hearts.

39 comments:

  1. Beautiful garden, and beautiful blanket, I can only dream of a blanket like that! The fabrics are so pretty too......they look like giant flowers x
    Happy weekend to you ...
    Nattie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your Dresden Plate is absolutely amazing! (and the garden is equally beautiful)
    You used my favorite fabrics and the blue sashing is perfect. :-) The quilt has this "antique" feeling that I love.

    I´m very sorry for your loss. Both of my grandmothers died before I was born and I would have liked to know them - my dad´s mom did a lot of beautiful embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the way you've used the yellow - love the quilt - love the garden! Well done Hen!
    Gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  4. super duper Hen! the colours are wowing me! you work soo hard, jennyx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt and a beautiful garden!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a stunning quilt, Hen. You've really done your self proud. Its amazing how all those prints complement each other in their tones and colours. Absolutely outstanding!

    And what a gorgeous setting to take photos in - that is the sort of cottage garden I aspire to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, your quilt is beautiful (as is your neighbours garden!!) - you are a very talented girl!!

    I'm about to embark on my first ever quilt, am just collecting materials at the moment....

    Have a lovely weekend,

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well what an amazing quilt Helen! You really have made a grand job of it! Love the prints and the colours you have used, the blue really sets it off a treat!
    Well done on this beauty!

    So sorry to hear about the passing of your Nan ,the Eulogy you write was beautiful.
    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blanket is gorgeous! Nice colors and nice idea! I love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow another stunning design. Love how you've used those vintage fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. *swit swoooo!* This is LOVELY! Oh, you are such a clever little Hen!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear of your sad recent loss.
    You've picked a lovely setting to show off this quilt, it looks beautiful, such lovely colours! I thought it might be your garden at first. I am envious of those delphiniums!xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I especially like the blue sashing!

    I'm just quilting my hex quilt, and dont my shoulders know it!

    Have a great weekend Hen.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful quilt - well done! You are so industrious! Lovely garden too. Abby x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very clever Hen. It looks like a quilt for the advanced quilter - and that you are! Your neighbours garden makes the perfect backdrop. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is just stunning and in a very beautiful setting too.

    Fabulous x

    Leah x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job on the quilt, it is beautiful, it looks like a true vintage piece, and for the neighbor, love their cottage and garden. Have a great weekend. Hugs Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous quilt Hen, how can you bear to part with any of them? The Cotton Patch is a lovely shop and about 30 or 40 minutes away from us...fatal every time I go in there, I can never come out empty handed. Your neighbours garden is very pretty. Have a wonderful weekend.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. A really beautiful quilt - you must be so pleased with yourself, and I really do admire the skill required to piece that sort of pattern.

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful quilt - the colours are just lovely! You are so talented.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hen I LOVE this quilt you are so talented and your fabrics are just right. I'm sure it will be treasured for a long long time x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Simply awe-some!!
    Your talent is the nicest one around, and gosh - how quick are you?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, your Dresden Plate quilt looks fabulous. Gorgeous colours, Hen.

    Very sporting of your neighbour to agree to you using it for your photo shoot.

    She has a wonderful garden and she'll probably think you have nutty friends as we have all complimented on its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The quilt is exquisite, it would look great in my old farmhouse. I put up some fun photos of my 100 year old farm garden in Oregon USA on my blog. I'd love for you to some see. Hugs, Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Both the garden and quilt are lovely!!! I love the pink corner stones....they really make this quilt pop!
    Have a great weekend!
    Chris :o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. How beautiful, amazing fabrics.
    Love your neighbour's garden, no wonder you chose it for your photo shoot.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think this must be one of my favourites...absolutely gorgeous..I wish it were mine! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I must admit I'm not a big fan of quilts but that one is fantastic and I love it. You must have loads of patience and enjoy making the quilts, I'm going to have a nosey round your blog to see the others you've made, Lucey x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very,very impressive quilt- lovely fresh colours.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Its beautiful such a work of art i couldn't wait to see this one as i love this design. But seeing yours i realize there is no way i could manage that. I shall just admire yours ;-)) Yours neighbors garden is gorgeous. have a lovely weekend, dee x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous garden, bautiful houses!!!
    I love your quilt, everything you do looks perfect!
    I have been really bad at keeping up with my commenting! I have dedicated the weekend to catching up! Now Sophie is sleeping so well I have a bit of free time in the evening!!! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am so jealous at your ease with quilt making. I wish I had 1 oz of your patience to make quilts, and they are ALL so beautiful too! Your quilts are a blessing to this world!

    ReplyDelete
  33. wow Hen, you clever thing! The garden is beautiful too :) x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Please tell Jane her garden is beautiful and compliments you quilt fabuously. I want to make a Dresden plate quilt now.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful, beautiful and even more beautiful, I include both the blanket and the view of your neighbours garden :o). I love the colours you have chosen. I haven't been on blogger very often lately and decided this morning to take time to check up on a few of my favourites and I was not disappointed. Thank you so much for sharing, my heart goes out to you losing your gran, mine, who I loved dearly was with us until her 92nd year and I still miss her beautiful smiling face.

    Peg x

    ReplyDelete
  36. It is a besutiful quilt,the garden is a dream.
    kisses from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  37. You have a lovely home, and your neighbours garden is quite lovely...but her blue gazebo reminds me of the tardis...and my kids now want a tardis in our yard!

    ReplyDelete
  38. The Spider web quilt is my favourite too Hen, but this is still really lovely, I just love the circles, beautiful! Love Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  39. That's a beautiful quilt.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X