Wednesday, 14 September 2011

Flower Power



I have a weakness for anything flowery. You noticed? I particularly love these ditsy little millinery flowers. Picking up vintage ones which have beautiful faded colours and soft velvety textures proves trickier by the day so there were happy times when I happened upon these on Sunday.


We took ourselves off to a vintage fair in Hammersmith on the recommendation of some fabulous vintage fashion dealers we met at Vintage at Southbank. Despite the horrendous trip to get there as our railway line was closed, it was a great fair full of quality real vintage finds, I highly recommend it if you are in the area (next one is Sunday 9 October).







Funnily enough, over the last few weeks, I had an enjoyable time selecting gorgeous vintage fabrics from the '40s and '50s, making them up into little lavender sacks and tying them up with pretty ribbons and little linen labels. I'm in my element doing faffy stuff like this!







The finishing touch to each stack was a little posy of dinky flowers so it was great to re-stock.






Oooh scrumptious fabrics, how I love thee!






Talking of flowers and vintage, a few weeks ago I also happened across some rather fine embroidered linen.





Sometimes you find vintage cloths on which the embroidery work is not so fine but these are really admirable.






A bit of vintage woolly blanket later, some Liberty Tana lawn and a delightful vintage fabric and the embroidered linen has become useful once more. What better way to ward off the Autumn chill than vintage eidys and hottie covers?






The back is pretty too, of course.






Ted approves of the hottie covers but will reluctantly allow them to go to pastures new so long as he gets to keep the eidy! They are currently available in my Etsy shop.




16 comments:

  1. You give me so much inspiration - now can you give me time
    Because of you I have returned to my first love patchwork!
    Julie xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the lavender stacks - the posy and handwritten label are a great finishing touch which makes them really stand out! Your hotties are sweet - I have that vintage fabric too (Sal's Snippets? That's where I got mine!)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Alix. Piled high together those fabrics look amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent flowers,I was just rooting through my box of flowers in readiness for the weekend- can't resist a good fake flower...always so satisfying finding good stuff!
    Nice hottie covers and lavender bags too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hen. I love the hotties and the stack of lavender bags, well all of it really!
    Isabelle x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those lavender bags are such beauties:o)
    I'm currently making mice ones.

    I love those hotties covers too, almost too pretty to use!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, doesn't the Munchkin look sweet in the station? Bless him.

    Your pretties are just that, clever and creative aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. For a moment there I was so busy oggling the eiderdown in the background I forgot to look at your lovely hot water bottles,,,whoops!! both are scrumptious! xx and the vintage fabrics are gorgeous.....
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those vintage flowers are so pretty and yes, very hard to find. All your handmade things are wonderfully lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. BEAUTIFUL lavender bags and hotties, and the lavender bags have given me ideas of what to do with all of my lavender!
    Karen @ Lavender and Lovage

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to sew some beautiful Lavender bags like you have there (our Lavender is currently strung up to dry in our garage) but my 3 eldest children have decided on horses(!!!???) this year. We always end up with an animal theme...think I might have to take a leaf out of their book and do some pouting and stamping of feet! As for the embroidery find....lucky, lucky you...it's absolutely beautiful...I'm currently on a journey to master embroidery, I sew and knit...but I've never attempted to embroider before and it's just so delicate and beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE the hotwater bottle idea! I keep picking up hand embroidered hankies - and have no idea what to do with them all - you have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely loving all the things you have made!!! You are very inspiring!!! Thank you!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pretty pretties! What divine flowers, and such pretty fabrics. Ted does look very comfy under that delicious eidy with those perfect hotties. The Munchkin looks just the part for a vintage day out. I bet all of the ladies fuss over him at the vintage fairs. I would :) XXX

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, not sure if I've commented on your blog before but I'm an avid reader! Lovely hotties, I'm envious of your talent.
    Anyway, I keep driving past a big sign for this...http://www.thedockyard.co.uk/Events/Salute_to_the_40s/Salute_to_the_40s.html
    and thinking of you. Which is strange as I don't know you in real life but I know that you and your family enjoy these events so I thought I would let you know.
    It's nothing to do with me! I'm not promoting it and I don't even live near there, but my mum and sister do, hence me keep seeing the posters.
    Anyway, not sure if it might be of interest to you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. The flowers are gorgeous, and I love how you used them with the sachets. I love the water bottle covers, they make me want one. I wonder if they sell them in the US. I'm certain my husband would appreciate one so I wouldn't warm my feet on his legs. :D

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X