Wednesday, 5 October 2011

Feline Pretty

My recent crafting has had a decidedly feline tone. For ages, I've wanted to make a quirky kitty doll so one day, out came the linen and off I went.





These ended up being no quick make but that's not something I mind at all. I drafted a pattern onto freezer paper for the head and body and made separate legs and arms which I sewed into the body. I had plenty of inspiration while I worked!






I had fun making kitty's face with felt and some machine embroidery so everything is securely stitched down. I drafted a heart shape for her nose.






Probably the best bit was deciding on the fabric for kitty's dress. I wanted it to have a bright, colourful feedsack look. I twinned this with a lace tie at the neckline so the dress could be removed and I embellished the skirt with patches of vintage floral embroidery and a little word patch unique to kitty!






I soon found making these kittys addictive and so Purrfect Ruby soon had a friend!






Then my mind started to buzz with the possibilities of a whole litter of kittys in different colours! I think the black kitty is my favourite of all but then...






Obviously I also had to make a ginger kitty.





So there they are, resplendant in their fancy frocks, my "Feedsack Felines"!






Vorey is not sure what to think of it all...






I was making these kittys to sell but I must confess, I am finding it hard to let them go. But I have given myself a stern talking to and realised that I would love to make more anyway, so for now, I have listed one in my Etsy shop. She's a very learned kitty and is patiently reading a book waiting to go on her travels to pastures new!




28 comments:

  1. aww I love all your kitties especially the ginger ones
    xx fee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Son muy divertidos y me gustan las telas,un saludo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are absolutely lovely!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kitties are so lovely ~ and I'm not normally a cat loving kind of person but these are fab! :O)x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kittys are so cute! great makes and I'm sure you were glad of the help ;)

    Bee happy x
    Have a delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, I had that book!! I loved it!!!! I had forgotton that the cat was a chocolate point - just like our Tonkinese Jasper!!

    Thanks so much for posting that pic, such memories!!

    (And fab kitties too!!)

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the kitties Hen, especially the black one. It was great to see you on Saturday and have a good chat. Have a great week.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cats - very sweet! Love Bimbo and Topsy too - currently reading it to my 3 year old :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh they are wonderful - I love them
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What I really love about your makes is the little hand stiched lables! I also love you for reminding me of Blyton classics such as "Bimbo & Topsy".

    ReplyDelete
  11. how cute! I just love them!

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww how cute! I love their little heart noses!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are adorable! And I love their names!

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty indeed and I love the embroidered names on their frocks!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are GORGEOUS! Come on, get into doll/toy making! You know you want to.... ;-)

    The trouble with those delightful cats is that they should really find a home together, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think Vorey is saying; "Why do you want THEM? you have ME!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your beautiful kitties, the heart shaped mouth is absolutely perfect.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. The kitties are gorgeous. Big grown up girl would love to rehome them all, but our little kitty is enough for now I tell her ;-)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the black one and the one that says Saucer of Milk - beautiful!!!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can count on you to make me smile! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  21. tried to comment and twice lost the words in cyber space. Suffice to say they are really lovely, and like jackie, I am not even particularly a cat person!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do love these little kitties Hen, you have captured their feline grace and elegance perfectly. Yet you have still managed to make them look so squeezable! I love their pretty little dresses and their little heart noses. Cats are not easy to get right. I think these puss cats are French because they are tres chic!

    Vorey looks very huggable, he is such a handsome boy isn't he? bimbo and Topsy was my daughters very very favourite Enid Blyton. We have the same cover on ours.
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi,
    You have a LOVELY blog here! And LOVELY kitties, too!!! I love their long, dangly legs and their pretty dresses! CUTE, CUTE, CUTE!!!
    I may just have to sort out my old Enid Blyton books and re-read now..... ;-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  24. They would look adorable on the end of a little girl's bed! I recently made something similar, a bunny for my youngest daughter, her name is Beau Bunny and she is still in need of a dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your little kitties and their sweet little dresses, my fave is the black one too :)
    have a lovely week :)
    Jane x x x x

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X