Tuesday, 25 October 2011

In Need

Yesterday was one of those days: time to catch up on all the chores which weren't done while we were away last week; a fridge freezer to order which wasn't in stock even when the internet said it was or alternatively, that couldn't be delivered for weeks; and when I finally got down to a few hours sewing, my maths was all wrong and my blocks the wrong size. I think I was out of practise after my week off. Oh dear. Off out we went for a curry, instead!


Today then, how lucky was I when a promised trip to the Lego store was sidelined when one of the school mum's rang to invite the Munchkin over to play. Ahhh, I deserved to do something nice, something unchallenging.






So I dived into my vintage stash and decided to make a really simple quilt. The sort of quilt I made when I first started quilt making and the type I probably still love the best. A quilt all about the fabrics.





I wanted to use some of the fabrics I had collected most recently (I've decided I am now officially a collector of vintage fabrics!) These seemed to have a predominantly blue and pink colour scheme so although I was initially going to add some red, I stuck to just blues, pinks and whites for this quilt. I cut out large 10" one-patch blocks and many smaller 5.25" patches destined for four-patch blocks. Just like the first quilts I made.


I got entirely carried away with the fabrics. Fabrics from France...






Fabrics from aprons now too worn or stained to use for their original purpose...






Fabrics which were likely once bedding/eiderdowns...






Fabrics which were probably pretty frocks...





Fabrics which were feedsacks...





Fabrics which are simply gorgeous!






The larger ten inch squares...






Hmm, it took some muster to cut squares that big from my precious fabrics (given they are mainly fat quarters, around 18" x 22" in size) but there's no point in them sitting on the shelf forever.



Hooray, we love quilts, say the furry friends!






I joined the small squares into two-patches before going up to my quilting room to lay out all the blocks on my huge (table tennis) table. I don't always do this, mainly I just "fly by the seat of my pants" (wild) and join them as I go but sometimes, you don't always get the most pleasing arrangement that way. My fragile ego couldn't take any more mishaps!






Oooh, isn't it looking scrumptious?






And while I arranged the blocks, I had a furry friend keeping a watchful, not entirely selfless, eye on my progress.


Edit: Rarely I find vintage fabrics thriftily, more likely I find them at vintage fairs and buy from my fave dealers, Sal's Snippets and Donna Flower. The French fabrics were mainly from Sandy at Rag Rescue.

36 comments:

  1. It is looking good already Hen, don't forget to show us when it is finished, will you. I hope things are less 'spiky' for you today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The feedsacks are beautiful!
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to know where you purchased the lovely fabric you used for your quilt....... I go to boot sales and rummage sales, but never find vintage fabric like yours. Maybe i don't go to the right places!........xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, gorgeous fabrics. It's going to be a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be lovely, you really know how to pick the lovliest fabrics. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty colours can't wait to see it finished
    Love the design which is laid out on the table.
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's going to be lovely! I am obviously buying my fabric from all the right places (your named three being my top choices for vintage fabric) but I need to visit more often in order to build a stash able to take a quilt-sized battering! Look forward to seeing it finished.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really nice - i usually go for more off beat colours ( Sludgish, though not quite sludge - smoky brights somehow?) But these work so beautifully. Glad you were able to catch up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear your week's picked up. Don't you just hate those days when everything goes wrong. I like your idea for a remedy though. It's amazing what a decent curry can do!!
    that quilt looks like it's going to be lovely. Sometimes simple is best.
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the new quilt your starting, the fabrics are so sweet! I also have fallen in love with your pin cushion!!!! It's wonderful!!!
    Chris :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my word!
    Such glorious fabrics and stunning photos Hen!

    I've had to scroll up and down a few times to have a long, longing look at them all :o)

    This quilt is going to be a beauty.
    Have a fabulous week,
    and take care,
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally gorgeous and, of course, nice to see my fabric being put to excellent use! ;-)x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Scrumptious? I could put it between two slices of bread and eat it.Hen, I love,love the colours and the feedsack elements.Can't wait to see the finished result.
    Thanks for the kind mention on your war weekend post.I loved all your photos and it was so nice to see the bits that I don't get to see...
    Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Hen.. my grandma made all her daughters clothes out of feed sacks. I adore those vintage fabrics! I have grandmas "kitchen queen" - a wonderful antique oak kitchen cabinet with a flour sifter built in, and pull out enameled metal work table -- and there are tack holes all along the top of the opening where she tacked up feed sack "curtains". Isn't that neat? We're having a great holiday at the Oregon Coast! Pix on blog.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing worse than cutting out then finding it is all the wrong size- some days I just can't get my head around cutting/measuring/ANYTHING...others things just work first time.Much though I like complicated quilt patterns,when the fabrics are gorgeous it seems a shame to cut them up into anything other than a simple square that lets the design shine out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is really pretty, as always. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am sooooooo envious! Those fabrics are just delicious. Squares are just the thing to show off the prints. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my dear this is going to be a very pretty and very special quilt! I love it so much. What very beautiful fabrics you have collected. I can't wait to see it finished. But no pressure!
    Sarah Red Gingham

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me to is a big fan of simplicity. Love your quilts. They are adorable. Sounds like you have had a great craft moment indulging yourself in such prettyness. I am envious...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love Ginger puss's proprietary expression, Mine, All mine! My tabby unhelpfully sits on the quilt pieces at the laying out stage...just a bit premature!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your fabrics are delightful and your quilt is going to fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Hen, hope you are well, I still take peeks into your blog, love reading about your days out. Would you like tickets for Country Living, if so, can you email me kathyjobson@gmail.com with your address (sorry I always forget it!) and I will send you them. Best wishes, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is going to be a beautiful quilt. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What do you do with all the fabric pieces you cut up the wrong size ? I just ruined a whole bunch of good cloth cutting the wrong size, nothing fits and am stuck with no ideas !Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Hen, beautiful fabric stash. Not only am I envious of your fabric but also all that work space. Im new to quilting, but I like to plan my quilting out, I havent the nerve to "just go for it. Fabrics can become so precious that you dare not cut into them. Its madness really but Im sure we all do it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi,
    your blog is fantastic!!

    Matilde

    www.ilcassettodeibottoni.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely fabric & how nice to see the pussy cats! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful photos of wonderful fabrics! This is going to be one super quilt. I think you're the holder of the National Collection of Fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nothing like a bit of therapeutic needlework, and certainly far better than Lego! I really love your fabrics - such pretty colours.

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  30. It was so lovely to see the HH family today :-)

    You are right, your latest quilt is very similar in colour to my blue and pink one (I will finish it one day Hen I promise!). It is still my favourite colour combination. I ADORE your one and wish now that I had tried to make smaller square blocks as well. Maybe time to make a new one? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bless you Hen have you got your mojo back?
    The latest quilt looks like another Henhouse triumph to me,

    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is some absolutly lovely fabrics:-D

    ReplyDelete
  33. Where are you Hen? Missing your posts already and hope all is well?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful fabrics..
    I love the simple quilts also.
    Glad your week picked up and went better.

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X