Friday, 6 January 2012

A New Year, a New Table


Hello again readers and a very Happy New Year to you all. I hope you all enjoyed a very Merry Christmas too.





So here we are, 2012, that makes me feel very ancient, in fact it's a date that feels a little "sci-fi" to me, as if we've fast forwarded into the future. I need life to slow down, please. I've never been overly fussed about the whole "New Year" thing, I just tend to get on with things regardless and I am inevitably asleep before midnight on the 31st December! I don't make resolutions, if I want to do something I just do it and don't feel the need for a "New Year" to make me get on with things. The inevitable diet does have to be started, of course!


I still have the Munchkin at home (just how long are school holidays these days?) so it doesn't really feel as if life has got back to normal just yet. I think my New Year starts next week when I get my days to myself again and having got through all the chores which piled up over the last few leisurely weeks, I can get on with some new projects. I have managed to finish three doll quilts over the holidays and have all the 60 odd blocks made for a large quilt top, too. I am looking forward to getting on and finishing that.


New Year's Eve saw us mooching in our beloved Bridport. It is now becoming fairly predictable that I will find something "new" (ie. old) and exciting each time we visit. For ages, I've hankered after a little display table to go on the landing, just outside my Den. It had to be pretty slim though, so that nobody would trip it over it when attempting to scale the stairs.


I wanted it just to be able to make pretty displays of pretty things, "things" which would inspire me in some way in my crafty making endeavours.






And so I found that little wooden table you see above and home it came; £30 and a bit of polish later, it's just the ticket for the space available and is allowing me to indulge my "shop window" tendencies. The idea is that I can change the display as and when I fancy so expect a fair few posts from now, dear reader, on "Hen's Bagpuss Table", home for "pre-loved/abandoned/ old/flea-ridden but very desirable and inspiring objects"!



The little table also has a handy shelf underneath. Oh goody, thought I, finally somewhere to stockpile all my quilts. Don't you think quilts look just delicious, displayed en masse, a big old toppling pile of them?



And so we arrived back from the cottage a few days ago and all set about unpacking our goodies. I was hell bent on "operation table" of course. There's no particular theme to the first display, I think I've yet to get into my "display table groove", it's just a collection of nice things. I pop downstairs for a few minutes and when I go to go back upstairs again..






Aaarrgghhh! Yes, Mummy, we like this idea too, thank you for creating the ideal kitty bed of many piled-up quiltys!


Jacky-Ginge wasted no time in getting on those quilts. Cats really are quite amazing, nothing escapes them!







Poor old Charlie Boy seemed a little disgruntled that he didn't get there first. They're mine!







(Please excuse the tangle of fairy light wires, now banished to the loft for another year! )



Jacky Ginge makes the fatal mistake of getting off at some point and is soon usurped as king-kitty of the castle.






So there you have it, my "Bagpuss Table", being a home for things "found", nay rescued by yours truly.






At the moment, there are some truly lurid flowers to brighten the place up, vintage books and brooches, little fabric flowers I made on the course I attended with Julie Arkell, Katy Kitty also made last year, and a very delightful fat quarter stash of reproduction 1930's cottons bought at the Festival of Quilts last year. So very pretty in their bundle that I've not done much with them yet!






And of course, vintage postcards to wish you a very Happy New Year!






34 comments:

  1. Oh Wow, that is gorgeous, and given me an idea too.........! Certainly nice cosy corner for the gorgeous cats, at least you know where they will be on cold chilly days snuggled in the quilts

    Lovely surprise bumping into you on Monday.
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Hen, Mr Hen House & the Munchkin!

    Hope you have a wonderful 2012, and I look forward to seeing all your beautiful creations (especially the quilts). I have been an avid reader throughout 2011 and always enjoy your posts.

    Best Wishes for good health & happiness this year.
    Fleur xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your little table.I also collect vintage postcards.I find the writing on the back fascinating.Such social comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your creations hen ;0)x happy new year- more lovely quilts to feast the eye candy hehe x
    and your lovely puss cats have found a perfect place to be- the wild flowers book looks lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely and useful table - multi purpose - a home for quilts and cats!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to read your Blog, it brightens up the dullest of days and inspires me to do more crafting! I will continue to follow your updates in 2012 and wish you and your gang a very Happy New Year (Amanda x)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cheery ,Hen! I think you should re-dress the table each month!
    ;-)x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year to you all!

    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cats and quilts...they just KNOW when a quilt is being cut/laid out/put in a pile/on the knees/whatever.The only thing they don't do with them is make them for themselves.
    Have a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year Hen .. lovely post and those naughty cats hehe ..
    Have a great day
    Mantha xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, the pictures you have posted have done me good this morning. I almost, for a moment, forgot it was winter and thought of spring. The colors were so refreshing. I definitely have a spiderweb quilt on my to do list.
    As for new year's eve, my husband and I cooked a nice meal at home, lit a fire in the fireplace, and watched Miracle on 34th Street. As I sat there I couldn't think of anything else I would rather be doing. I was in bed by 11 and spent the next full day antiquing. It was wonderful!
    I agree with you that time is passing so quickly, I wish it would slow down. . . so many things I want to do.
    I hope 2012 is a wonderful year for you and your family.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy new year to all in the Hen House!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year to you all at the Henhouse Hen :o)
    So pleased you've posted and are all well and happy.

    I love your table! I have a table in the hall that I like to make little vignettes on occasionally. I think yours are very pretty, and also very cosy :o)

    I'm looking forward to seeing all your beautiful makes this year Hen. You're such an inspiration :o)
    Have a lovely weekend and take care,
    Kindest regards as always,
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year, Hen! I love little collections of stuff - now you're making me wonder if Bagpuss started it all off for me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it! It looks so bright and cheery!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very *Happy* New *Year* to all at Henhouse!
    Your kittie pictures really cheered me up today,as my Mum had a nasty fall and my OH is having work related stress,so thank you for making me smile. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like the new table, LOVE the prettie kitties!
    Dot

    ReplyDelete
  18. That table is a great addition to your landing and it looks like the kitties like it maybe even more than you do. :-)
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your table, what a fab idea its a bit like a nature table too! I think the puss's like it best of all!
    Its just so pretty, i love everything on it and cant wait to see some different displays as time goes on.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely post. No wonder you have so many followers looking at your blog.
    So much energy and commitment put into it.........xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm a bit late in popping over to wish a very Happy New Year to you and your family, I hope 2012 is kind to you and that you get all you could possibly wish for xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Hen, happy new year 2012 to you and to your family. Just stay the way you are. Hugs Nicolexxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cats always know where the most comfortable place in the house is. I laughed at how quickly they took up residence.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely colourful post your display is a joy to look at and your cats are so funny the places they get into ,or maybe not ,my cat leaves a nice covering of fur wherever she lays which isnt so good especially on newly made quilts !!!x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Hen, what your cats really love about this particular spot is the ability to see all the comings and goings from the downstairs to the upstairs. Cats like to be high up and will always choose the vantage point that offers the greatest view of their surroundings. Having a pile of cosy quilts just makes the spot that much more desirable for them!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I thought I spotted Vorey in the first photo!! Your cats are so funny :) Love the table display :) x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy New Year to you and your family, and what a great idea to find a table, polish it, lay everything out beautiful just for the cats to enjoy!!! They look so cute.
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Jillx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I bet the cats just love their new 'home'! I hope they don't decide to sit on the top of the table on your lovely open book - Gizmo would!!! Happy New Year Hen. I look forward to seeing your new patchwork creations during 2012. x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am pleased that I am not the only one who likes to have a display of pretties :) And I adore the fact that your's comes complete with sleeping mogs. Also - love the new header. Makes me feel all cheery when it's bleak outside :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Hen...happy new year to you too!
    I'm like you...I don't "do" new year...and I was tucked up in bed before the clocks struck 12!

    Love the table and the quilts....oh happy kitty pics....thay look so cute!
    Bless em!

    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. It was lovely bumping into you today in Lewes, and I hope I didn't scare you, having just got over a bout of 'flu. I don't normally look like a very sick albino!

    The table is a lovely idea - I just hope none of you trip over your cats while they're waiting their turn on the bottom shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You have the most adorable things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. What lovely pictures! that table you got is just adorable! and those quilts are amazing, but I have to say my favorite out of all of your wonderful pictures has to be the furry little guys! they are so cute and look so cuddly!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have laughed so much at the bagpuss table! (tears still rolling down face).. my cats are just the same.. when I sorted out the new "sewing room" they were in there like a shot! Lizzie

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X