Another day, another finish, but this time it's my first Valentine's Quilt. It's only a baby, I think it's about 18" square. I've mentioned before that I have joined Kathy Tracy's Small Quilt Talk Group and that each month, she is challenging her members to make a quilt from one of her books. For February, she chose a traditional "broken dishes" quilt but gave us a further option to use this pattern as a base for a Valentine's themed quilt she had designed as a treat for us. That's the one I decided to go for.
I tea-dyed the panel which I embroidered for the centre, as it looked too white once it was done. The broken dishes design is based on half-square triangles in a very random pattern but the Valentine's Quilt gave you the option to arrange your HSTs to make a star surrounding the centre block. I actually drew out on paper a skeleton design of the quilt then got my colouring pencils out (it's true!) to colour in the triangles to try to get the correct balance to make the star stand out but without using wildly contrasting colours in the surrounding blocks.
I knew I was going to use red and white/cream in the quilt but didn't want it to be just those colours. I actually had a fat quarter of gorgeous red fabric with large blue flowers on and designed the centre of the quilt planning to use that as a border. When I came to putting the border on, it just looked wrong! Luckily, I'm really happy with the borders I eventually chose. The fabrics are a complete mix of Civil War reproduction, modern cottons and vintage cottons circa 1940. It's amazing how they do all seem to work together.
Just now, I took the little Valentine's Quilt upstairs into my quilting room to photograph it on a pink background. I like it so much there that you know, I think it may stay.
Have a super day...