Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Time on the Prairie Quilt

HOORAY!!!!!!!!! Today is one of my favourite type of days. It's a quilt finish day. We haven't had one of those in a while, have we? Well, not a proper big-sized quilt, I'm not sure the doll quilts count.


It's also a really beautiful day here; serendipity. Beautiful daffodils, furry compliant cats and delightful cosy quilts, what could be better?






Did you spot the new addition to our hallway when I posted a shot of my crafty baskets all ready for their holiday last week? I have been hankering after an old pew for a while but all the ones we saw were pretty shoddy examples, chopped down from longer pews and then with new bench ends squashed on, stained in a very dodgy fashion to "match". Must thank my Mr HenHouse for alerting me to this shoddy workmanship, he is great at spotting when something is "not quite right" about a piece and reigning in my over-enthusiasm to snap something up there and then.


We finally found a really gorgeous one, completely authentic yet perfectly petitely sized, at the last Shepton Mallet Flea Market, being sold by a genuine lady out of the back of her horse box, and for a super no-haggle price, too. Getting it back (eventually with the boot tied down) was another matter but that's all old history now, isn't it!


It makes a super place for displaying all manner of my quilty cushiony craftiness.






So I started this quilt before Christmas. I must tell you that I was mightily inspired by the style, workmanship and colours of Lucy's stunning blog. I then found the pattern for this "double hourglass" quilt block online, oh the wonders of the web. A very nice lady named Alison had kindly made available a free tutorial on her blog. Isn't that great? You don't need to leave the house or spend any money; just get on the good old www, find a free tutorial, make your own template with a bit of old card and off you go, justifying your sizable fabric stash. Ah yes, one of those is definitely a pre-requisite.






Out we go then into the chilly sunshine for a shot of the quilt in all its glory. It's not huge at about 42" x 54" but the perfect size for snuggling on the sofa. It is made of sixty-three blocks and that was quite enough, thank you!







I used wool batting for the first time. It was nice to work with and has made an undoubtedly snuggly warm quilt but it has more loft than I would have liked for this quilt, as it was meant to be vintage-looking and therefore somewhat flatter. No matter though, it's a lovely quilt and very usable, as Charlie-Boy and Vorey informed me as they slept soundly on it on the sofa last night!


I quilted it on the diagonal which generally made the quilting process fairly simple.






I have used a palette of red, blue and browns of varying shades, as you can see, mainly from my Civil War reproduction stash. In each block, each main colour is accompanied by a "shirting" fabric. My sister was kind enough to send reinforcements when I was running out of shirtings. Handy, eh?






I think it will live in our sitting room which is where we tend to be snuggling these days as we find it is the warmest room, with a roaring fire and the box-set of Foyle's War on DVD. We are now at the very last episode of the last series. Oh it is simply wonderful (if you like 1940's style and stories it's definitely for you) and I think we will just have to start again from the beginning once we're at the end!






Stay warm...

21 comments:

  1. I was blog hopping when I should be sewing and found this blog post. I am working on this same quilt. Mine has large floral spacer blocks between. I found the pattern in a magazine and knew I had to do it to use some pretty floral fabrics I have had in my stash for years. I hope to finish the top this afternoon so I can decide if I will use borders and sandwich it. I really love yours and see that borders are not necessary as this pretty block can stand on its own. Your quilt is beautiful and I love it draped on your pew!

    Hugs from Holland ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous quilt Hen and I love the pew. I am also a fan of Foyles War and have been slowly working my way through the re-runs on TV..fantastic series. Have a great week.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt, but I am particularly jealous of your blue sky, it is as dull as ditch water here in Northants!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the mix of fabrics you've used here, and your piecing is so neat! Beautiful. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I always admire the colour palettes you choose and this is no exception. I'm not surprised you are hanging on to this one. Enjoy snuggling beneath it these chilly evenings!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so at home in your sitting room. I've said before, I love you mix of homestyle and the quilt really suits the room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hasn't it been lovely today? Cold tonight though, so quilts at the ready! Lovely new quilt Hen, that tutorial is very good and useful- I might do some of these blocks to use up some stash - stash cupboard refusing to close... AGAIN...can't imagine why.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another beautiful quilt! My Dad and Mum are always talking about Foyles war! I am going to a 4o's party (not fancy dress apparently!) I've been practicing my victory roll hairstyle, I love it would it be wrong to wear it all the time?

    ReplyDelete
  9. love your cats and quilts, enjoy, love marion

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another gorgeous quilt. May I borrow some of your hours to finish my unfinished quilts.
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heavenly, heavenly! I love the pictures of your creation outside but the one next to your frontdoor: stunning.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful quilt! I just love repro fabric, it makes beautiful quilts.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful quilt and you were so lucky to find the perfect pew! I loved your last post, I have booked myself in for a course with the lovely Julie when she comes to the Cowslip Workshop in September,long wait though!
    Jillx

    ReplyDelete
  14. How funny we've just inherited a pew this month too! Ours sat in my childhood home for years but my dad now has a brand spanking shiny new kitchen and wanted to get rid of it. He asked if we'd sell it in our antique centre but I wasn't sure I could part with it. So here it is with us for now (and already full of clutter)!!
    Lovely new quilt.
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely beautiful! I aspire to creating something like this - probably in my dotage tho!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely gorgeous!! I love the colours you've put together. It really compliments the pew which I'd like to add is beauty in itself. Thanks for sharing and for letting us know of the tutorial, I'm off to view it.

    Peg x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous quilt. Perfect for this cold weather. Love your new pew.
    I'm going on a one day "Make a Valentine Lap Quilt" workshop on Saturday. I've done some patchwork but no quilting so thought this would be a good place to begin. I did similar when I learned to crochet, went on a one day course then improved using on line tutorials.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, Hen.. I wanted a pew many years ago and we found a honey oak one with carved ends. It's in the hay loft of the barn now.. no room in the house. Your is wonderful in how small it is.. it fits in that space wonderfully! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me encanta esa colcha!! haces cosas muy lindas. me gusta mucho pasar por tu blog y leerte..
    te invito a que pases por el mio,me encanta el patch,aunque soy solo principiante hago lo que se puesde..
    muchos cariños desde Chile.
    Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A new direction in your quilting colours perhaps Hen? It's a gorgeous quilt, and has a real American feel to it, which is interesting, maybe it's the civil war reproduction fabrics. Cat approval is the best approval me-thinks! Vanessa xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful quilt! I love the mix of repros and it looks perfect with your pew and decor. I made a quilt for my daughter a few years ago in this pattern and it is one of my favorite quilts.

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X