Monday, 5 March 2012

Nursery Days

Well, it has been a pleasant surprise today to find the sky is actually blue and the sun is shining! It seemed just right to show you some pretty spring-coloured beauties I have made in recent times. They all have something of a children's nursery theme about them.






Most of the dolly quilts I have made have tended towards the sludgey variety and one day, I simply thought to myself, I'm going to make a doll quilt in my favourite sugary shades. I didn't follow a pattern because as you'll see, it's just a very simple design of nine-patch blocks alternated with white setting squares and triangles.







Each block features one ditsy flowered cotton and a solid pastel coloured fabric, generally 1930's reproduction designs. Hopefully, you can just make out the pretty flower-shaped hand quilted design in the plain white blocks. I traced the motif using a water soluble pen and an acetate stencil.







Cute? It measures about 17.5" square.






For my little play about with child-themed things this morning, I just had to include this pretty-in-pink gorgeous crib that has been subject to a Hen-style make-over. Some pink eggshell paint and lots of delightful vintagey bedding later, this rather unique crib is just ready for a special little girl.






It has a new mattress and pillow, flannelette sheet, vintage wool blanket, vintage embroidered crochet-edged pillowcase and of course, a traditional patchwork quilt, made just the same as I make my regular sized quilts. I can't not mention the little top sheet though, can you see how beautifully it is embroidered with little pastel-coloured bunnies and flowers. Delightful!







(The details of this super crib can be found here in my blogshop should you be interested in re-homing it.)



Last but not least, some time ago, I happened across a really lovely vintage linen textile hand embroidered with cute animals. I decided it would be stunning in a patchwork and so have incorporated the embroidered patches into a crib-sized quilt. It measures approximately 34" x 42".







I interspersed the embroidered patches with nine-patch blocks which are made in a dazzling array of realllly gorgeous candy-coloured 1930's reproduction-style fabrics. I then machine appliqued some pretty heart motifs onto the other white blocks and hand quilted round these with perle cottons.







I think this would be adorable in a little one's nursery and I really enjoyed working on a slightly smaller project, much less heavy than the usual quilts I make and the colours and embroidery, well they're just darling.

(This Sweet Treasures quilt can be found waiting a special new home in my blogshop here. Sold now, many thanks.)



So there you have it, a pretty collection of divinely-coloured-rather-special items! Roll on Spring...





17 comments:

  1. More stunning cute quilts - I love them especially the one with the Bluework animals
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet. Like a breath of fresh spring air for me, I needed that!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. There must be smoke issuing from your needle it moves so fast! All lovely- that bunny sheet is particularly fabulous- everything else is also fabulous.
    It does feel like Spring today-despite the howling wind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The little animal quilt is just gorgeous and how I would have loved a crib like that when I was little! M x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The animal quilt was gorgeous, no wonder it flew out of your shop.
    Your work is always beautiful.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG all so gorgeous. I just can't get enough of vintage children's 'stuff'. Don't think I'll ever grow up. My favourite has to be the cute top sheet!
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely quilts you made, I visited the Dairy House at Semley today and saw a lovely dolls crib it was a rocking one made of iron, thought how you would love it!!!
    hope the sun keeps shining this week.
    Jillx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your work is so pretty! I love the spring colors, and especially the crib.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love your doll quilts! I must say, the monkey looks like he's ummmmm.. excited? :-X
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely as always Hen, where do you find the time?? x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the doll quilt. We have a crib very similar that my daddy made for my daughter. We actually have a photo of my newborn (last week) nephew in it. He looks just like a doll.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hen, the little pink crib is just so delightful!
    It makes me wish my girls were still young :o)

    I love the way that the colours 'pop' on the dolly quilt.
    So pretty and colourful!
    And the Sweet Treasures' quilt is most definitely inspiring, to say the least! You've pulled together embroideries, hearts and nine patch blocks and it looks amazing!

    Are the hearts reverse applique too my dear?

    Just beautiful as always Hen :o)
    Thankyou so much for sharing your crafty and quilty life with us :o)

    Hope it's sunny where you are:o)
    Take care lovely lady.
    Love Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely, especially the doll's quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Wow, you have taken me back about 16 years. I made a similar set with a little white cot for my neices second birthday. I really enjoyed the projet, yet I had forgotten all about it until I saw this post! YOu have a real flare for beauty!!
    Best Wishes
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your quilts/crafts are so fantastic! It's so nice to find other quilters all around the world!
    www.quiltworld2.blogspot.com
    Hugs, Ulla (from Finland)

    ReplyDelete
  16. love the little cradle. great work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi hen
    these quilts are adorable i also love the heart hanger.
    anniex

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X