Monday, 3 December 2012

In the Mood

A few weeks back, the Munchkin and I were super-organised and one rainy Sunday, had lots of fun in the kitchen.


He's not often found in the kitchen unless he's eating but he actually really enjoyed himself and was sort of helpful!  It was time to stir-up this year's Christmas cake, well in fact two, as we were also making one for Nanny and Grandad.

Oooh, those Christmassy smells.  What's that you're putting in there?  Better not tell Uncle Mike you've raided his whiskey stash!  Luckily, the Munchkin is at that age where he thinks alcohol is disgusting, along with girls.  Hmm.


Last Saturday was of course, the Christmas Vintage and Handmade Fair.  It was a glorious day, if a little chilly at -1.5 degrees, when we left London at 6am.  It is a delight to see the roads so empty at that time of day, it's worth getting up early.  The fair looked beautiful, so many sellers who had worked so hard either making or finding gorgeous covetable items.  The Munchkin was my official photographer for the day and I've selected a few festive snaps.






I even broke out the fairy lights myself!



No surprise then with all that festive feeling in the air, that on the way home on Sunday, on spotting that our local cricket ground once more had given over half their car park to "The Christmas Forest", we could not help ourselves from pulling over "just for a look".


It's not a forest sadly, but it is a really good set up with a variety of different trees all clearly marked and sized, with descriptions of their characteristics and attributes.  You know, the bit where they promise you the tree will not drop its needles but which you shall subsequently find trodden all over your house for months to come!


The Munchkin seemed worse than ever and had gone into excitement overdrive, leaping round like an over-enthusiastic elf in his red cords and jumper.  "Get a big one, Daddy, get a twelve foot one!"


In the confines of the "forest shop", they looked delightful and we could not resist the Munchkin's pleas to take one home.

It didn't look that big in the "forest"! 



Decoration awaits this evening.  Cue: christmas songs on the jukey, lit candles, mince pies and mulled wine.  I'm ready; bring it on, Santa.

20 comments:

  1. Oh Hen!! This is a lovely, evocative post. I soooo miss the input into Christmas baking of my own Munchkins who are now far away grown-ups. Added to that, my near-perfect husband is not in the least interested in vintage fairs:(
    I'm vintage deprived because I live in the middle of nowhere and don't drive. Thank goodness for your wonderful blog - and thank you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made my cakes this weekend as I had a the place to myself! Looks like the fair was good, I couldn't make it this year.
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow now that's what you call a tree! The fair looks lovely, wish I could've gone :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this post is so cute. I just adore how they advertise over there. That sign would have anybody pulling over. We're still at about 32 c here in Arizona, so it's very difficult to remember everyday that we're approaching Christmas, but I give it a good try. Just once I'd like to spend Christmas in England....that's on my bucket list.

    Hugs,
    Meri

    ReplyDelete

  5. Blimey- that is a big tree! We haven't had real tree in years, but I don't mind as our 'fake' tree has sort of become tradition for us- plus it's filled with lots of vintage family decs, so looks very pretty nonetheless! Oh and that reminds me, I haven't made our cake yet- ahhhhh! Thank you for reminding me ;)
    Tups xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo to the Munchkin on his skills in the kitchen, behind the camera and outside tree choosing.

    This post is full of the spirit of Christmas!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The smell of Christmas Cake/pudding/mincemeat making is divine.Did my cranberry sauce yesterday- oh the lovely smell! Daren't have a tree here as the cats would destroy it in moments:after Rita emptied my work table and put the felt decorations I was going to be working on into her basket last week, I just don't trust them around decorations! But there are plenty of other decorations coming out...I love the run-up to Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely festive post, you're making me feel all Christmassy. I can't wait to see your decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I wish I could have been in two places at once because then I could have been at the vintage fair. I do hope those lovely sewing baskets found their way to new homes after all your hard work. Philippa xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your booth looks just perfect ... and good luck with the tree! Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... stir up day! Can't wait to see your tree all decorated :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, lovely post, have to admit it was the pyrex bowls that caught my eye! I have same in red,pink and white but still waiting for the turquoise to come my way! Maybe Santa will find one....
    bestest wishes Daisy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like such a sweet time with your son! So fun! Your booth looks so pretty! Can't wait to see your tree decorated! Have a lovely week! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  14. The smell of baking Christmas cakes.....yummy! Looking forward to seeing the tree! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooo it all sounds and looks so lovely and Christmassy!!
    I love it all
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Evening Hen,
    That tree is massive!! I hope you've all had fun decorating it this evening. I look forward to seeing it in all it's glory :o) x

    ReplyDelete
  17. The size of your tree is amazing! Completely envious!!!
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful, Christmassy, fun fun post! That first photo had a lot of my favorite Jadeite green.. I would love to have been able to shop there, and especially at your booth! Our house is being painted inside due to a kitchen fire.. what awful timing!
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Please post a photo of the tree once decorated...nothing like the smell of a real tree in the house! and the cakes sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That really is one talented 'munchkin'! Your cake looks delicious, the stalls lovely, and hurrah for childlike enthusiasm, Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without it! Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X