Wednesday, 19 December 2012

Snowy

Oh golly, where has the time gone to?  How can the big day be so close yet I have only today started the Munchkin's Christmas quilt in earnest?

Do you remember these?


Our American friends (and these pieces did indeed come from the good ole' US of A) call it chenille, we Brits call it candlewick.  I've always loved this stuff.  Had one on my bed for years and I still do, sleep with one every night, to this day.  There's something about their cosy furriness, ooh just scrumptious.  Of course, my mum was never impressed with the amount of fluff they shed; what with the leaking eidy feathers and the candlewicks, no wonder she was wedded to the hoover!  The furry friends love them too.  And so indeed, does that impish little person, the Munchkin.  I beheld that folks on the crafty www were making patchwork quilts from a myriad of these divine furry patches.  I'll do that too, I thought.

I decided the Munchkin might like a quilt with reds and blues, quite cowboyish, Christmassy and a bit boyish, too.  I spent an inordinate amount of time on Etsy agonising over patterns and colours.  I was not disappointed when they arrived (despite the HUUUGE customs fee, grrrrr).


It seems there is a bit of history to these bed covers and the sellers often describe them as by "Cabin Crafts", "Hoffman" and so on, and the designs have names, too: popcorn, stars and the like.  Some are deemed "rare", my faves are deemed "fluffy".  The prize, of course, is the very furry bit culminating in pretty fat flumpy flowers which beg you to fussy cut them, thus destroying most of the rest of the piece and your hard fought calculations of the number of squares you can cut, along with it!


Snow?  We haven't had snow in London, I must confess.  I am not disappointed as I am a practical type and I do so detest slush which of course, always goes hand in hand with the pretty fluffy white stuff.  But there is snow here.  Aaaargghh, have you ever tried cutting that lovely and oh so fluffy candlewick?  My home is covered with teeny bits of red, blue and white fluff.  Most patriotic.  I haven't seen so much of my hoover in a long while.


Having cut the squares last week, I grappled with sewing them together this afternoon.  As you may have guessed, that is far from easy.  I rarely pin very much when I patchwork but with this, I am pinning everything in sight.  I am using my beast of a machine up in my quilting den, I have no doubt a regular machine would not cut it.  Will it be done in time?  Oh well, there are plenty of other things if not.  Any expert chenille/candlewick patchworkers out there?  I am all ears!

Time to repair downstairs to the sanctuary that is our newly decorated sitting room and put my feet up.  A few refreshments perhaps, yes I definitely need refreshing.


A trip to the kitchen reminds me that I have at least made some progress with the Christmas cakes.



I've had fun decorating the kitchen, taking all the things down from the shelves and walls and going all vintage-Christmassy.  Want to see?

Time to light a candle, atop its new (old) cross-stitched cloth.  I LOVE my cloth, (a purchase from Lewes on Saturday, along with the sideboard actually, and the lantern for that matter).  Gotta love thrifting.  And Mr HenHouse for strapping the sideboard to the roof of the car in the dark and pouring rain.  Reader, he's a keeper.


I'll listen to some tunes.


Mr HenHouse has thoughtfully loaded some seasonal faves and printed proper Christmassy labels.


And I'll savour the scent of my delicious "Winter" candle in its nest of vintage tinsel and mini crackers.


I'll do all this from my new favourite spot.  That sofa is too darned comfy.  Normally, I am not a sitter, definitely not on a sofa in the daytime, anyhow.  I whiled away the whole of Tuesday afternoon watching "Goodnight Mister Tom" which I discovered on an obscure cable channel quite by chance.  You know how it is, "I'll just sit down with Jacky Ginge for five minutes".  Zonk!


The poor new sofa will be having an identity crisis.  It's already had a festive make over.  There are red and white cushion covers and I even re-discovered a vintage red flowery cover for Charlie Boy's eidy (bought at a "vide grenier" or car boot if you will, back in France in the Summer for mere pence/cents).  I've a little seasonal sewing project to sit and finish hand sewing, which I'll show you soon.


Ahh, that's better and the view is pretty good, too.


I hope your preparations and celebrations are going well...

24 comments:

  1. It's looking very festive, and I am quite envious of that jukebox loaded with Christmas tunes. Heavenly! Good luck with the quilt ... it will be great, whenever it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such prettiness, and I adore the project you are working on!! Wishing you luck with the chenille quilt. I have never sewn with it before. I am sure it will be gorgeous! Merry Christmas! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see your boy's quilt. I, too, love those chenille bedspreads and grew up with them on my bed. They sell chenille by the yard here in the states. Do they in Britain? Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cheery and comfy looking. I just want to be in GB, anywhere, and I'd be happy. I've been longing for a jaunt across the pond for, well since the last time I was there in 2002 on my honeymoon. I swear that if I ever win the lotto I'll buy me a summer house out there and spend six months there and the other six months here at home in Arizona. Since I've been blogging (2007) I've met so many lovely British folk and next visit I plan to look you all up and pester, I mean spend time chatting with you.

    Have a happy holiday,
    Meri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hen, oh your home just looks so pretty and comfy and ready for the season. I had a luncheon for my 2 sisters and best friend yesterday... and it snowed in the morning.. it was so pretty!

    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hen!!! Please cease and desist!! You make me feel so guilty.....What happened to my home diva personality?

    On a serious note, your home looks wonderful and I am thrilled that the Munchkin has a traditional life-style with a Mum who makes real cakes, makes things for him and generally gives him a real childhood - not to mention his Dad's close involvement in his life. So many children don't have this and it is lovely to see a boy involved and enjoying life with loving parents.

    Merry Christmas to you all and thank you for letting us glimpse your homes and lives. Can't wait to see your 2013 blogs.
    Jenni xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post! Your home looks so warm and welcoming. Can't wait to see the finished quilt ... I love candlewick and use my Nana's on my bed, it's white with dark pink and green flowers so looks quite seasonal! Have serious envy for your jukebox ...

    A Very Merry Christmas to you!

    Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks so cosy, I'd be sat there all the time! I love Candlewick bedspreads & still use them :) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello there! Just wanted to pop in and say I love your blog! Beautiful home! -Majal

    http://alpineflowerchild.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see the quilt. I use to have a pink candlewick counterpane on my bed as a child too. I just love the feel of them.
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. back in the 70s when I had the "old" clothes shop (vintage being a name reserved for cars and champagne back then) there was a brief punk fashion of baggy mohair sweater tops knitted on huge wooden knitting needles, and I decided also to make them from a "fab new fabric"....candlewick bedspreads!
    Actually, they looked really good with huge batwing sleeves, baggy body and tight dropped waist, in fact they still looked remarkably like a bedspread!
    Needless to say the phase passed sooner rather than later.

    I did some research on the fabric recently for another project and discovered we named it Candlewick because it does actually "wick" body moisture away, and was supposed to air the bed whilst you slept.

    Good luck with the cutting and stitching
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember having a candlewick cover and my mum had a similar dressing gown both of which I was forever pulling tufts from. Oh dear how naughty I was in those days (correction I still am if I'm honest). I love the village on the mantelpiece, it's a lovely winter scene. Have a wonderful Christmas and a Merry New Year. Philippa xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Christmas posts are fast becoming traditional for me, they make me feel all Chritmasey. As always, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are very brave working with candlewick. I do not envy you the resulting fluff.Sitting room looking great,no snow here, just lots and LOTS of water...should have worn waders to walk down the hill into town today!I have an unfinished festive project too, really MUST get stuck into it before the family return home at the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. P.s.- very impressed with the sideboard on the car in the pouring rain/festive jukebox label production scenario! Top notch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely post and how lovely your home looks too.Can't wait to see the finished quilt but it must be so hard moving it through the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh It's all looking like Christmas...Yes I grew up with a candlewick bed cover, it was so pretty all the colours of a rainbow..alas it was used so much it went bald!
    Yuletide Wishes
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have a lovely, lovely Christmas Hen, thanks for all your support since I started my little blog! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  19. OLA HEN,ADOREI SEU BLOG,PARABÉNS,SUAS ARTES SÃO BEAUTIFUL.BEIJO.VALÉRIA.(BRASIL).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your living room looks lovely! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Hen..the happiest of Christmas's to you and you delightful family....finding your site has been a great delight to me...your home is perfection!!!! I can not wait to see the quilt when done.....lots of love from "seaview cottage" !!!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my, it is all looking so Christmassy. Is that really a framed Christmas picture above the mantelpiece? It puts my (lack of0 decs to shame. I'm off to dig out some more.
    Now, take a little nosy to my blog for a festive surprise, lucky one!
    Ellie
    x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have an interesting story to tell you about those chenille bedspreads. When I was 8 years old my family moved to Florida and the first place we lived was on Hywy 301 which was a tourist thoroughfare. Across the highway was what is commonly called a 'tourist trap'. These were gaudy sorts of stores selling every kind of souvenir from shells to T-shirts to those chenille bedspreads. The one across the highway from us had a long covered area where those spreads were hung out for display everyday. Every morning the lady who owned the shop came out and hung all the spreads on the line and every evening she took them down. I think they were about $8-10 back then in 1969. We were always fascinated by them and begged our mother to let us buy one which she never did. I had completely forgotten about that until I saw your post here.

    ReplyDelete
  24. NICE AND COZY....WITH LOVE JANICE

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X