Monday, 24 December 2012

The Christmas Kitchen

Oooh golly, we're nearly there!  As usual, I am incredulous that Christmas Day is almost upon us, it comes around more quickly every year.  I actually feel quite in control, though, and confident I can enjoy the big day as well as turning out a whopping great meal and so on.  Welcome to our Christmas HenHouse.



I've laid the table so that's one less thing to think about tomorrow.  Come this time of year, I am always pleased we have a red decorated dining room, it just seems so festive.


In the sitting room, I have a little old fake tree up which for the first time, I have decorated just with vintage decorations.  I was pleasantly surprised at how many I had managed to collect over the last few years, all from thrifty charity shops, flea markets and second hand shops.


It's a time to be grateful for all we have and the love of those around us, but also to remember those we miss.


We are SO glad to have our home back in time for Christmas after this year's horrid building works and the tree takes pride of place in our family room.  I left the decorating of the tree to the boys this year (a miracle as I am usually quite particular about placing all the ornaments)!


The presents have started to appear under its branches.


Charlie Boy is getting excited about opening his stocking!


And beyond the wonderful tree, my beautiful kitchen has gone all festive for its first Christmas, too.




The cakes have been decorated, one has gone off to my in-laws and the other awaits us to devour it.  It shall not last long as it's a firm favourite with Mr HenHouse!  Old fashioned style is best, I think, when it comes to decorating; icing swirled to look like snow and old chalk decorations, with a few new ones added, too.


I finally finished my sewing project.  I bought the thin printed cotton 1950's mats from Etsy; a bit of backing and batting added, some hand quilting to outline the design and a final finishing touch of some candy striped binding and I'm so pleased with how the place mats have turned out.  Ready for breakfast on Christmas morning.


The shelves have had a complete festive makeover.  All the pretty pastel things have been packed away for a while and red and green vintage goodness takes their place.  I had a great time arranging everything!


The vintage pot holders have also been replaced with Christmas-coloured ones, all bought from America after many hours mooching on Etsy, and the mugs have gone festive, too.


Most of the items on the shelves are vintage; I borrowed a few bits from my kitchen shelves at the cottage where I have more red items, and I've collected other things thriftily over the last few weeks and months.  I will be sorry to take it down as I have enjoyed looking at it.  That's what makes Christmas special though, isn't it, the fact that we celebrate it for but a few weeks each year.


Over on the other side, there are a couple more pot holders and I'm now so glad we chose green tiles as they work so well with a Christmas colour scheme.


So all that remains is to wish you all a very MERRY CHRISTMAS.  Let's hope it's a good one...


38 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful Christmas Hen and see you in 2013.
    Love
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy, Happy Christmas Hen :)

    You have the most beautiful house and decorations Hen. Well worth those builders months :)

    Take care, and have a splendid New Year too!

    Kindest regards,
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. My home suddenly feel totally unprepared for Christmas compared to your. How lovely. Love the idea of putting gifts in baskets under the tree... Might steel that idea from you. :D It would save me from lying flat on my belly at age 43 crawling underneath the tree getting Christmas pine needles in my head when reaching for the pressies that has placed themselves in the far back end.:D Happy Christmas.
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word! Your home looks wonderful I really like the little baskets under the tree. Have a lovely Christmas x Love from The Pea Pod

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just having a few minutes enjoying your lovely Christmas post. You must be chuffed with your wonderful Christmas kitchen. Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely, festive decorating for the Season! Your home is charming, delightful and inviting. What time should we be there? LOL. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your kitchen...it is so nice to be able to change everything for the seasons!

    Merry Christmas,
    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all looks beautifully festive. Thank you for all the wonderful blog posts in 2012, I enjoy sharing all your beautiful creations.
    Wishing you and your family a very happy Christmas and a peaceful and healthy New Year.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very Merry Christmas to you too.
    I know all too well the feeling of finally being back your home without any building work around. A few years back we were flooded in the summer and our Christmas and winter was pretty damn dismal as we had no down stairs, no heating and to top it off, my grannie had major surgery on Christmas day! Luckily, we are all back to relative normality now and we are certainly thankful for better health and a home once again!
    All the best for 2013…
    Tupney x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everywhere looks really festive and I love your kitchen especially the green tiles, Wishing you a very merry Christmas, Lucey x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty house,
    Have a great Christmas. Alex always dresses the tree, he does a far better job than I do, and whats more he is very happy to take things off the tree after Christmas too!
    MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all.
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks truly wonderful and will be a very joyous house in the morning. Perfect finish in time for the big day. Merry Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you have a magical Christmas!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. It all looks wonderful.merry Christmas and a happy 2013 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Hen.. your home "takes the cake" for being perfectly and wonderfully decorated! I loved each and every photo. I am wishing all your Christmas dreams come true.. but they already have! :-)

    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. OLA HEN,COMO FICOU TUDO LINDO POR AI AMIGA,PARABÉNS PELA LINDA MESA.FELIZ NATAL PARA TODA SUA FAMILIA TAMBÉM.BEIJO.VALÉRIA.(BRASIL).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have a lovely day,all of you! ;-)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks gorgeous-have a lovely time.X

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loving your kitchen, particularly your pot holders! Hope you and your family have a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Merry Christmas Hen!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  21. Merry Christmas, hope you had a wonderful day :) x

    ReplyDelete
  22. A bit late, but Merry Christmas to you, Mr Hen and the Munchkin.
    You have a beautiful kitchen, I love the colour of the tiles.
    I like your idea of displaying the Christmas pot holders. I think I need to start a small collection of something christmasy. Perhaps mugs or plates.
    As it was Christmas day yesterday, I was allowed to have a proper look at my Henhouse sewing basket contents. The selection of fabrics is lovely and I've already started to use a couple of the fabric squares on the collage I started yesterday. The sewing basket is destined to be one of my most treasured possessions :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your kitchen is very beautiful. Love the dining room too. Enjoy your Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Everything looks absolutely wonderful.
    Merry Merry Christmas Hen


    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your house looks absolutely beautiful. I adore your new kitchen. I hope you had a wonderful day. How do you stop your furry boys from scratching that beautiful new sofa?

    ReplyDelete
  26. love the very christmassy photos and the very disdainful cat!

    Leanne x
    talesofsimpledays.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your decorations are lovely, I hope you've all had a wonderful Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  28. Merry Christmas! Your house looks very festive, love your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks glorious! I bet you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Loving the green and red in the kitchen, very fresh and zingy.

    Been enjoying wearing my brooch a lot Hen. It's taking over from my favourite brooch at the moment.

    Hope all festitives have gone and are still going well.

    Lisa X

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow!! Hen your home is absolutely stunning! I'm head over heels in love with your kitchen :) and I'm swooning over those pretty placemats!! I will definitely be whipping up bunch of those next year - and did I spy some sewandquilt.co.uk stripe fabric for the binding ;)
    Merry Christmas and happy new year to you!
    Jessie, xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. I hope you had a lovely Christmas and wish you all the very best for 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Dear Hen, I hope you and your family have had a wonderful Christmas. I really, really enjoyed reading your blog during 2012. It was so full of wonderful vintage posts and pictures. Thank you so much also for showing us you amazing sewing works. Wishing you all the best for the new year 2013. Nicolexxx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Just catching up, Hen! And had to stop to say I loved seeing your Christmassy home, especially your beautiful new Christmassy kitchen! Lovely!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X