Tuesday, 8 January 2013

A Bright and Shiny New Year

Hello readers, and a very Happy New Year to you all, too.  It's been a while since I've been in blogland but the Munchkin has finally gone back to school today (since when did children get twenty-five days off at Christmas?) so I am able to get back to normal.  In fact, I think I need a rest, whoever decided to call Christmas a "holiday" really got it wrong in my opinion!

 (Abigail Brown birdies : Mr Blue, a Christmas pressie to yours truly from Mr HenHouse; Miss Pink, a pressie from... errm... yours truly to yours truly.)



Much as I loved how our home looked and performed over Christmas (by which I mean it was comfy and homely and everything just well, worked, you know), it was nice finally to de-Christmas which took place as soon as I set foot back in the house after our spending New Year away in the West Country.  The tree was but a shrivelled, needle-dropping, ten-foot monster.

Do you know, the sun actually shone for a while this morning?  I am fed up with these grey days we've been putting up with.  Give me cold anytime, so long as it's accompanied by blue skies and the big yellow ball in the sky.  Anyway, I hear that the big chill starts tonight so I'd better get my thermals out and those logs in!

But back to the sun, I don't know about you, but I feel a whole lot better when the weather perks up, it's as if I perk up, too.  The post was promising today, as well.  The Boden catalogue at last has gone all Spring-y with pretty colours and fabrics; pink jeans, minty green cardis and flowery blouses, all photographed against a patchwork-wallpapered wall.  Bring it on, Johnny. I'm pretending it's not Winter and in my kitchen jug this week, resides a pretty candy-coloured bouquet of stocks, daffodils and tulips.  Scrummy.


More tempting post came in the form of a pretty bulb catalogue; I first encountered this company at the Chelsea Flower Show, their stand is always filled with heavenly coloured and scented baskets of perfect hyacinths.  Ahh, a girl's gotta dream...


Much as I loved my Christmassy kitchen, I am just as happy to be back in pretty mode.




(P.S.  Have you had a look online?  It's naughty I know, but Cath has some new goodies in and the kitcheny things are oooh rather pretty.  Not as good as the real thing, of course, such as delightful 1940's goodies above, but nice eye candy and practical all the same.)

In the sitting room, my new charity-shop-bought vase (good old Bridders) is home to some really gorgeous old fashioned chrysants in the prettiest shade of lilac-pink.


Talking of flowers, in a rare restful moment over the Christmas/New Year "holiday", I sat down with a needle and thread, some divine vintage fabrics and much inspiration from a certain marvellous Julie Arkell, and finally made a fabulously floppy flower brooch just for me.



It felt good to be getting crafty once more.



I've started a new quilt, too, ooooh exciting!  How about you, reader, are you getting down and crafty in 2013?

22 comments:

  1. It got to a point where I could not wait to de-decorate the flat. I have had a good old clean and re-arrange. Now all we need is a couple of bright days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Hen! Your home is always so beautiful, and those vintage spice canisters are so sweet!! Looking forward to seeing your quilt!! Have a great day! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had exactly the same feelings and am soooo looking forward to the Spring and brightening up the house - but with the weather as it is my lovely red tulips will have to do for the moment! (Love the Cath cake tins x)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your brooch is lovely, happy 2013 Hen, hope it's a creative one! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. ....my boden catalogue arrived today too...so that's something to look forward to later with a nice cup of tea! your pictures are so pretty and colourful....really brightened my gloomy day here...thank you and happy new year!X

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sick of the grey- yesterday it wasn't raining,the air was just wet,urgh! Desks cleared and tidied,ready for action.Just need to shake off this bug...sunshine would help!
    Gorgeous Chrysanths.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! I was about to ask about those spice tins ... from Cath? I'm off to look!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year.

    It's so nice to get back to normal isn't it.....as long as normal is pretty.

    Love your flowers, all flowers seem extra nice at this time of year.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy new year.
    I didn't last the day with not crafting over Christmas. I even took my Christmas present Henhouse sewing basket with me to my Mum's on Christmas day!
    At the moment I have about 6 projects on the go!
    Here's to sunny skies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year!
    It is lovely to see your spring colours..I love flowers around the house this time of year too!
    your brooch is so sweet.. wonderful fabrics
    Lets hope the sun shines soon
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I have big plans for 2013 when it comes to quilting, crafting and decorating my studio. I am working on a huge project right now that is cutting into my sewing time, but it's going to be wonderful when it's finished. Love your brooch. Where did you get the pattern for it or did you make it up yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always feel a littl bereft when my Christmas decorations come down. I certainly wouldn't if I had your ceerful kitchen!
    Jille xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I only have about a hundred different projects planned, between sewing, crocheting and decorating. I agree with you about the current Cath kitchen items; I'm desperate for the next sale, since shipping to the US can be expensive. Maybe there's an Easter or Mother's Day gift on the horizon for me...

    ReplyDelete
  14. OI HEN,LINDAS IMAGENS,ESTOU TORCENDO,PARA VOCÊ COLOCAR UM TRADUTOR,HEHE.BOA QUARTA.BEIJOS.VALÉRIA.(BRASIL).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New Year Hen, So happy to meet you, I am new to your blog and I love all the little touches you have around your home.

    I am working on a crocheted throw in pink and white.
    Look forward to reading more of your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Year! I look forward to lots of lovely inspiration from your beautiful nest this year. I've been dressmaking so far this year, not entirely successfully. I have been admiring Cath's new products online. Unfortunately she charges a hideous amount to send even little items to New Zealand. Otherwise I'd have a house full! Best wishes XXX

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Hen! I got your brooch yesterday that I bought from your Etsy store and took photos and they're on my blog today! I wore it out to lunch with 2 of my local blog friends and they loved it!! Thank you! I put a link to your blog AND your Etsy store on too.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm off this week so enjoying getting the house back to normal! Bet your boys are liking the new train print from Cath :) x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy New Year to you all.
    Pretty flowers, love the one you made.
    Julie xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am with you on the sunshine! I do not care what temp it is as long as the sun is out and shining!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hen, a very Happy 2013 to you, and thanks for all the cheery flowers in this early January post.

    Your floral brooch looks so lovely nestled in with those chrysanths...you chose a great combo of fabrics, with the dark petal really making the entire colorway work very well.

    I knitted quite a few Christmas gifts and all seem to have pleased the recipients. Now I am back to more knitting, attempting to amass enough items to begin an etsy shop later on this year.

    Best wishes to you and yours. xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yummy photographs and I love love love those birds in the first shot!

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X