Friday, 8 February 2013

Obsessive Stripping

So this week, I've been manically quilting, or patchworking to be precise.  I did finish one smallish cot quilt but I then got completely over excited about another project as soon as I finished the first, so I will get round to showing the cot quilt next week.  I am back in the quilting seat, oh yeah!

Inspired by the ever-obliging Pinterest (I'm sure this is responsible for keeping me awake at night for having far too many ideas in my head), I was seized by the need to make a sixteen-patch quilt.  Fabric has been flying off the shelves of the Den and onto the ironing board then cutting mat in a frenzy.  I am usually quite disciplined and tidy away as I go along but today, I had amassed quite a stash on my ironing board (all still waiting to be put away, pants).



It's another uber-scrappy project, following hot on the heels of the scrappy trip-along(the top for which is finished but I am psyching myself up to sandwich and quilt the monster!)

It's a simple enough pattern to work out.  I'm cutting strips 2.5" wide and 11" long, this gives me a little room for error with the length and means I can get two strips off the edge of a fat quarter, yay.  Oooh, behold a feast of delightful strips, just waiting to be sewn into matching pairs.


Once the four strips have been sewn together, it's time to get cross-cutting (into 2.5" wide strips) before sewing again.


Ta dahhhh, one ends up with a stack of pretty two-coloured blocks, about 8.5" square.  Golly, I have to tell you that this has been seriously addictive.


It brought to mind this little ditty I saw and which made me chuckle.



It's a good job I am so diligent and prioritise the housework (cough, cough).

I've finished all the blocks already, oooh that must be in about 36 hours including general life and sleep getting in the way. I've gone for 42 blocks in a 6 x 7 formation which will make the perfect single bed cover, large bed throw or snuggly sofa quilt.  They're on the makeshift "design board" and I am now officially fed up of rearranging the blocks.  It may not be perfect but as I now have all, yes all, the seams perfectly aligned, it is jolly well staying that way!


Hmm, well maybe!



Have a super weekend, people and don't forget my double carry-it-forward/sort-of-giveaway thingy to win the pretty goodies, details in the post below this one. Winners to be drawn on Monday.  Excitingamundo!

30 comments:

  1. Love the ditty - I totally agree with it! Except in my case its an assortment of things that been started before the last one has been finished, and I am just out to buy some more fabric and yarn!
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been having that dilemma with choosing 7 colours for a fair isle hat. I find a digital camera comes in handy, when elimiating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure the same rules apply to me even though I don't quilt!
    I'm loving the newest (is that a proper word?) quilt and the fabrics are gorgeous, I found myself putting the pieces into pairs, I may have to try my hand at this quilting malarkey!
    Have a great weekend and step away from pinterest!!!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I love that fabric. It's hard to find a good variety of repro fabric here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo Hen...take a bow, have a nap, too! Your newest quilt is truly fabulous. The colors really have a spirit and harmony that's a treat for the eye.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the blocks, and fabrics. Really, really pretty. I'm on a marathon quilting mission with my current quilt-in-progress called Songbird - it's Scandinavian inspired - all reds & snowy whites! Will it ever by finished??? The next one is lined up, but I'm being very strict with myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful quilt, full of springlike colors. Although I'm not a quilter, I think the ditty applies to yarn as well, and knitting, don't you think? I have made three quilts in my life, all queen size and I think I "burnt" myself out by starting with such huge projects. I also hand-quilted them. Now, the thought of quilting throws me into a panic inducing fit of hysteria. I do love gazing upon yours though!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the new quilt - I can see why it's become addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is gorgeous!!! Such pretty prints! Oh, I am loving the rules!! Especially no. 1!! Have a beautiful weekend and happy sewing! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's completely lovely! I love the rules for quilting.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah yes, lying awake thinking about projects and wondering if you should just get up and get on with them but only stopped by the fact that you know you will feel just AWFUL in the morning if you are up all night. BUT...you will have a finished project....have a good weekend!x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh I just LOVE this Hen!! You've completely inspired me to make one! such fabulous fabric choices as always too :)
    Jessie, xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so admire your quilting expertise and that is one beauty. I didn't get the quilting "gene" though, but I do lots of other creative things. But I love them!! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I adore everything about your quilt - the colors, the prints, and especially the polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm now hyperventilating after reading this post! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beauty! Have a fabulous weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blocks are beautiful. That's a great tip about sewing the strips and then cutting them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How lovely! I am in awe of your speed - I'm a new patchworker and am soooo slow. The girls in my class keep telling me to 'chill' but if it's not absolutley spot on, out it comes. Daft thing is, my project is 1m square and everyone else is on single bed size - and I'm still last! Good job I'm not trying to make my living as a star seamstress - I'd starve! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so envious that not only have you cut out and sewn all those blocks but all you seams match perfectly. I love the quilting rules; I think I need to pay a little more attention to rules 2 and 3 as I am very much stuck on rule 1 judging by my enormous fabric stash. Philippa xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Its gorgeous! I am absolutely gobsmacked at how lovely it is, and wish I had the attention to detail to learn to make something so intricate. : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the quilt.
    And the rules for quilting I love.
    Have a great weekend.
    Marja

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your quilts are just adorable, I love the spring colours.

    Julie and Poppy Q
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. How lovely, gorgeous fabric and such neat, skillful sewing. What a treasure you are creating.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello there! I'm new to quilting, but I've been following those three rules for all my sewing, embroidering, wire wrapping, etc... That's the way to go ;)

    Your blog is such an eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love it! And note that you seem to have some fabrics from my stash ....!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those are great rules. Love all the patterns of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love all the great patterns of fabric

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Hen - I'm back blogging after 4 years absence and you were one of my first port of calls.... what's this housework thing you mentioned?
    I just love your your choice of fabrics, so neat and regimented squares, they look good enough to eat.
    Frances x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can see why this block is seriously addictive! I seriously need to give this a go. Thanks for sharing.
    Annette
    My Rose Valley
    www.myrosevalley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X