Thursday, 7 March 2013

Wonderful Workshop

Saturday dawned clear and bright and as if that wasn't reason enough to rejoice, it was also a day to which I had long been looking forward.  I packed up a couple of baskets with crafty goodies and off I set to the East of London.

When I arrived at the workshop destination, a package of goodies was awaiting me on the table.  I was there to spend a day with other crafty souls and our tutor, Jessie Chorley.  I met Jessie at the last Selvedge Fair and loved her work, so when a space on her workshop became available, I didn't hesitate to book.  Jessie works with textiles and paper to create fantastic altered articles, such as clothes and journals, and is a whizz with a needle, stitching the most beautiful and original embroideries.


Jessie had put a lot of effort into getting the "create space" ready for us.  Her artwork decorated the walls and table tops.  How could one fail to be inspired.  I could have spent the day just drinking in all the details.





Jessie had also brought a couple of photograph albums which were full of images of the most gorgeous pieces she had previously created.  There were also some of her original pieces which had gone on to be printed for use on greetings cards.  She was so very generous in letting us ogle and photograph her work.




Down to work though!  What to create?  A pretty embroidered brooch?  An altered piece of clothing?  Or one of Jessie's signature journals?  


Jessie had brought lots of materials which she generously let us use in our creations.  What a treat to be let loose with vintage fabrics, printed papers, rubber stamps with her drawings etched onto them, beads and buttons.



If you have been on such a crafty workshop, you will know that the day flies by far too quickly.  I opted to make an altered journal and spent most of my day elbow deep in paper and PVA glue!  I suppose this was a refreshing change for me and I knew that I was saving the stitching which I so love, for later.

More inspiration from Jessie...





At the end of the day, we had a bit of show and tell of the items we'd produced.  I think everyone had a brilliant time and went away wanting to carry on work on their piece.  I know I did!


It was a lovely sunny late afternoon and Jessie invited us to walk back with her to her shop which is on Colombia Road, home of the famous Sunday morning flower market.  She runs this shop, "J&B The Shop" with her friend and fellow crafty lady, Buddig.  Along the way, we walked through pretty Victorian streets and I found pretty much the perfect address!


As it was past closing time when we arrived, the shop was opened just for us, what a treat!  Even the outside had been beautifully and artfully decorated and the window promised much inside.



The shop is jam packed with the most beautifully made things, from altered vintage clothing to hand sewn barkcloth bow brooches to delightful printed cards of Jessie's collaged images and Buddig's enamel jewellery.





Jessie herself was a fantastic, helpful tutor and such a down-to-earth chatty lady to boot.  The whole day was an utter pleasure.  I can't wait for her Christmas workshop and bought some lovely little stitched items as momentoes of a super day.


And this week, I've kept going back to my journal and embellishing it a little further.  It's really a work in progress and I'm going to add to it as and when I find things I want to treasure inside.  A loose rosy theme emerged.  Want a peek?


 That red stitching took a looong time!




As I say, it's a work in progress but I've started on some of the pages inside and as my journal started to have a 1940's vibe, I decided to add in this lovely photograph of my Nan, stamped on the reverse 24 May 1943.  She would have been just twenty at the time, right in the middle of the Second World War.


I loved creating this page with lots of images of roses cut from vintage fabrics.


The lovely Lucy, my super 1940's style knitting friend, sent me a copy of original instructions to make a felt rose; I thought if I put a copy in here, I'd always know where it is.


Jessie sticks envelopes into her journals, some of which she was kind enough to give us, so that there's a secret place to stash little keepsakes.


Finally, I created this little box at the back by glueing many pages together, cutting out an aperture into which I fit a piece of script paper, and then cut a piece of vintage wallpaper to frame over the top.  I now need to stitch a little something to suspend on the wire inside the little box.


I hope you enjoyed this peek into Jessie's world.  I'm sure you will find her a complete inspiration just as I do.  She has just created a new website which is a complete feast for the eyes.  I know she will also be standing at the next Selvedge Fair at Chelsea Old Town Hall this month, on Friday 22nd and Saturday 23rd.

54 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks like my kind of workshop, it sounds absolutely fantastic!
    I bet you wish it was a whole week. I'll keep an eye out for the Christmas one, it would be a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What fun! Thank you for all the wonderful photos. Love your book!
    Val in Kansas USA

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your journal, so creative and pretty...i did a degree in textiles, print and pattern design...it reminds me of those degree days in my 20's, we made lots of fabric journals show casing our designs and inspirations~ i used to love the crafts council in islington while studying in london. it makes me feel like getting back into textile art, you have inspired me x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! How wonderful. I LOVE the journal you made! I love making vintage ones but I feel more inspired to add fabrics now. Your stitching is so lovely - I need to hurry up and learn how to sew! I wish people here had more of an appreciation for hand sewn and crochet items. Thanks for sharing this day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely inspiring post Hen. I like the mix of the old and the new and as I have said to you before, I like how you put a modern twist on something old. Could you work your magic on me?!!! The journal is a work of art. I think you have found another string to your bow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Positively drooling over those gorgeous photos, what a brilliant day!

    You have spurred me on to get back to doing those little stitchy bits I used to do, get my fabric books and whatnot and just GET ON WITH IT!!!! Thanks Hen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your journal is wonderful, so creative.
    The workshop looked lots of fun and so many lovely things to choose from and look at.
    Glad you had a good time.
    Linda O xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun workshop! Her things are right up your alley! Of course, you could be teaching just such a class, you make similarly wonderful things. Have a great weekend! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful images! Inspiring!!!
    Beijos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. I'm sure this is going to be one of those things that you keep returning and adding to over and over x Jane ( P.S. that red stitching is fab - well worth it!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, thank you so much for your wonderful and inspiring post.
    I absolutely love your journal, it's so unique and will be a treasured keepsake.
    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your journal and the description of your day. There are too many things for my eyes to take in, both in the craft area and the shop. Quilter Street. How perfect!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you had the most wonderful Saturday!
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hen what a wonderful day I wish I lived nearer London, so much talent. As always Hen you have taken some creative ideas and turned them into something beautiful. I hope to see some of these in your shop soon. Thank you for sharing your day with us all.
    :) xxxxx
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this is sooo creative and original. I love that it's quite organic in how you've put the elements together. It will be treasured I'm sure - by you and beyond. Enjoy your weekend, J9 x

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful thing to do Hen - you must have loved it! Love Kate (from greedyforcolour) xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't believe I'm mentioned in one of your beautiful posts - I'm beyond chuffed!
    That book is simply beautiful, what a wonderful keepsake to have, so creative.
    I adore the red button on the front cover. It's the same as the centre piece on one of my wartime brooches! :o)
    Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hen,thans for sharing your lovely day.Such an inspirational post and I love your journal.What a super keepsake. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  19. How beautiful! I just love the journal you've created. I am sure you will treasure it forever. What a nice workshop, I'm so glad you were able to experience that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful workshop . All those great bits and pieces and the old scraps. Everyone looked like they were having a ball. Thanks for sharing...p.s.your journal is stellar!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing. Jessie's work is so inspirational and I love the fact there aren't straight lines on her work. Mine is the same but my other half doesn't 'get' that it's okay not to be straight :-)
    I too, am trying a journal this year. I'm using a 2013 diary I bought for 10p. I haven't done much to it yet, but seeing yours makes me want to get to it as soon as I can. I just need more hours in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was a real feast for the eyes. Thank you Hen.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful read. I wanted to study each photo, checking out every detail. Thank you for sharing your day. Your journal is just divine. You have taken inspiration from Jessie but it is very you. I love the dedication. Your grandmother looks beautiful. She must have been very special. I remember reading about her before. Xx Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks as if you had a fab day. Lovely eye-candy and inspiration. Thank you for sharing! Lizzie x

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's a "taster" of what I have to look forward to in June, can't wait, thanks for sharing such lovely eye candy. Lucey xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Busy as a bee you are with beautiful stitches and crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your journal looks lovely, what an amazing day you had!

    ReplyDelete
  28. wow your journal is gorgeous....and that shop!!!!i want to hop on a train right this minute to seek it out!!! thank you for sharing your special day...i loved every little bit of it! x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I follow Jessie's blog. So very inspirational. I am not a needlework regular but this even inspires me to try and use this craft as an addition to my own work. I so enjoyed looking at your photographs and will go back to them for more inspiration. Wish I had been there.x

    ReplyDelete
  30. I live in a tiny country town in central Victoria in Australia so alas,attending such a lovely Worksop may b a bit to far away, but I think your journal is GORGEOUS,and as always you wonderful post has inspired me...with the weekend coming up I may just dig out some bits & bobs & give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ahh I have visited the J&B shop, it's like a little museum of creativity!
    Jessie is so inspirational, as is your journal, looking forward to your progress reports x

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks like sooo much fun!! Thanks for sharing and please keep blogging. I've been following you since you started!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a wonderful journal and such a lovely way to preserve your special memories of your Nan. Jessie's course sounds like heaven, I must try and visit her shop in Columbia Road.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Just lovely! You lucky lady....thanks for sharing. S x

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love everything here hen, absolutely love it, so my thing, what a clever lady. and your Journal is Gorgeous, something to treasure forever xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Workshop sounds absolutely fantastic. I love the journal you made, so so pretty.
    M xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  37. I read your post earlier Hen and now I've come back to have another good read through. This time you've given me an idea for which I thank you as it's brought another idea into shape. I was thinking of bringing together all of my parents lives (everything I can remember dad telling me before he died and the same for Mike's memories of his parents) so that our girls have a journal of memories before the family stories disappear. Seeing your beautiful journal I realise how I can make it a creative project also, something to return to as and when. Thanks for sharing this. I do love your red stitching also and admire you for having the patience to keep on stitching those rows. Worth it, but relentless.
    As for your comment about seeing half of my man. That made me laugh. That's the most I've ever been allowed to reveal and he asked me to take the photo for my blog to show one and all aswell. He was at a business lunch a few years back and this woman asked him if he was Mr Bun as she recognised the surname from my blog. He didn't like the two worlds colliding at all. He takes a good photo too, but I have a blanket ban on me posting them so there we are. X

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Hen, I have some vintage empty sewing needle packs, empty darning cards etc, wasn't sure what to do with them, didn't want to chuck them out as the printing style is soooo lovely. Now I know what to do, use them as embellishments along side my vintage buttons. What a super day out you had, wish I didn't live so far north. Keep blogging you inspire us. Cheers Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a fabulous inspiring workshop... and I just love the effect a simple red running stitch can have... beautiful! Great post! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a fantastic workshop, you were obviously totally inspired because your journal is just beautiful. What a wonderful treasure you are creating.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh my! Seems you had a wonderful time there! Wish I could have done something like that when I was visiting London.

    love your journal, the red lettering could have take a lot of time but it really is perfect for the whole vintage look. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hello. I have just found your blog via J&B The Shop's site. It's lovely and
    I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts.
    Your description of Jessie's workshop reminded me of a wonderful workshop I was luck enough to attend here in North Wales with Jessie's talented mum, Primmy, and the wonderful Julie Arkell. It was an amazing experience. It sounds as though you enjoyed yourself as much as I did.
    Keep blogging, it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  43. http://quiltinaday.com/theater/victory.html Hen i thought you might like to watch this patchwork video . It is all 1940s 50s quilts patterns she also tells war stories ... Eleanor Burns is a sweet lady. she has lots of free videos..

    ReplyDelete
  44. Looks like you had a wonderful time!! And, I really love your journal! So beautiful and inspiring! Have a lovely week Hen! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  45. You wouldn't believe what a perfect post this was for me to read and feast my eyes on. I want to make a fabric and paper book for my parents 50th wedding anniversary in Sept of this year. I have lots of ideas running around in my head and this post has helped me to bring some of them together a bit! I'm making a trip to London in Aug and will definitely seek out the shop. I love what you have created and look forward to seeing more as it progresses ...
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  46. Arrgghh ... just wrote a really long comment and lost it somehow!! So, here I go again ...
    You wouldn't believe what a perfect read and visual feast for my eyes this post is. I have plans to make a paper and fabric book for my parents 50th wedding anniversary this Sept. I have 101 ideas flying around in my head and this has helped to bring some of them together a bit! I've a trip to London planned in Aug and will definitely check out the shop. Love what you have done with your journal so far and look forward to seeing more as it progresses ...
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wowwwwww. Just reading about your day and seeing your pictures is totally inspiring. I love your journal so far. Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  48. My first visit to your blog and what a treat it was. Thanks for sharing your lovely day. I am making a scrapbook of my family and you can see pages for it here:

    http://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/scrapbooking

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love your blog. I live in the US but dream of living in europe, sewing, crocheting and rummaging. Your blog transports me to my dream world, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  50. lovely and inspiring, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  51. What an awesome day! The journals are very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X