Friday, 19 April 2013

Hola

My my, how funny it feels to be sitting back here in my seat, in my beloved Den, fingers at the keyboard.  For we have just returned from two weeks in sunny Mexico where we had no access to techy stuff of any kind.  No 'phones, no 'pads, no t'internet.  Do you know, it was rather nice.

Instead, we immersed ourselves in... tequila and sombreros, it would seem!



We stayed in a quiet place called Tulum which is located south of the strip that is known as the Mayan Riviera.  We like it relaxed and quiet so somewhere like Tulum's better known neighbour, Cancun, was not going to be our style.


It was a long trip.  Luckily, this side, we are only about 45 minutes from Gatwick but the flight was ten hours and the transfer at the other end, another couple.  We arrived after dark and were good for nothing, Mexico being 6 hours behind GMT, we headed for the sack with a comatosed Munchkin! 

Next day, the sun shone and it was time to explore our new surroundings and home for the next fourteen nights.


The resorts in Mexico are pretty huge, some have over 2000 rooms.  I knew this would not suit us so our hotel had a meagre 500!  The resort's grounds were very beautiful and the result of many hard hours work.  It seems labour is plentiful in Mexico and it showed in the customer service and care paid to the surroundings.  The Mexican people were delightful, I am pleased to report. 


A natural "cenote" was present in the grounds, it was pretty nice to have the fountain spray over you as you panted away through the midday heat.  The temperature was around 90 degrees in the day and didn't drop below about 75 degrees at night.  Lovely!


Other more surprising features were stumbled upon, like this giant chess game!



A very pretty little chapel was also located in the hotel's grounds.  Many weddings took place in the resort although it seemed nearly all couples opted for the beach.  It was interesting to view each one from afar; some went casual, some went for kilts!


It seems water is not in short supply in Mexico either, and the lovely gardens were heavily irrigated.  The temptation to hurl oneself under the sprinklers was hard to resist at times!  I avoided the resident lazy lizards and admired the pretty flowers instead.


But I cannot lie, the real draw lay here...



Oodles of white sand and turquoise sea.  Sadly, the shore was quite rocky (the world's second largest coral reef was located just off shore), if there was ever a next time, sand shoes would be a must.  Pretty nice to sit upon and gaze out to sea though, eh?

We dragged ourselves away to visit the spa and cool down, have all those stresses of the last year massaged away...



Although Tulum is located some distance from the airport, the benefits are reaped when visiting the historical ruins which are all located within reach of this area.  Below are the ruins of the Mayan village at Tulum, remarkably well preserved and so interesting to see it all laid out just like a little village.  Far too many basking lizards for my liking but I was brave!






It has a lovely location right on the beach's edge as it was once an important trading port.  The  breezes were most welcome and the views "to-die-for".



Afterwards, well it would have been rude not to take a look at the local handicrafts on offer.



I went to Mexico on a hopeful mission.  I had stumbled across a fabulous embroidered blouse on Etsy and further research revealed that this sort of pretty clothing originated in Mexico.  It was very pricey on Etsy so I waited patiently for our trip.



The Mexicans are obviously skilled craftspeople; back at the hotel, even the buffet breakfast was beautifully displayed with arrangements of carved fruits.


We ventured further along the coast and were rewarded with nearly deserted beaches and lovely warm clear seas you could rush headlong into.  Bliss.


All good things come to an end, of course.  It was too soon time to say adios to Mexico and head for home.  But I am a homebird, yes indeed, so this could only ever be a cause of continuing joy for me.  Hello Den, hello stash, hello furry friends!


And most importantly, hello readers!  Good to be back. X



(Instagram shot.)

49 comments:

  1. You make the place sound so beautiful and your pictures do not disappoint. Unfortunately I have a husband who will no longer fly so I enjoy our Great British holidays and looking at everyone else's piccies. Just stunning. Am so glad it was good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that looks idyllic, I am more than a little envious! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home, Hen! What a wonderful holiday you had! Thanks for sharing.. I would love to run into that ocean and swim. We're leaving day after tomorrow and taking our caravan to the Oregon coast to celebrate my birthday. It will be a different kind of ocean, but pretty nonetheless. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photo's and what a lovely blouse !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you had a lovely trip! You were kind of in my neck of the woods; I live in New Mexico (US). A lot of things in your photos remind me of where I live. Your vacation sounds like a wonderfully relaxing time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. S-W-O-O-N-!! Look at that those beaches!!

    Love the blouse!! It really suites you.

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful blouse, suits you. Fab tan too. Beaches look pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So green with envy I am. We won't be having a holiday this year unless there is a miracle in the money department, but I have to say that looking at your pictures makes up for it in a small way. I love your embroidered top. Did you buy much in the way of crafted goods? I also love your phone cover as well. Looks Cath Kidston to me?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mexico is to Canadians what Spain is to the British.

    It's a really popular destination wedding spot with the Dominican Republic a close second.

    We've done Cancun and day tripped to Tulum and the water/swim park preserve.

    Unfortunately, Mexico is developing a really bad rep with Canadians due to the crime rate. Not even the resorts are deemed safe any more. One resort actually exploded last year due to inadequate safety measure during construction. People from my province were injured and there were deaths.

    If you cross to the Pacific Coast, Ixtapa is beautiful.

    Cancun, Ixtapa and a few other resort areas were developed back in the 1970s to provide work for the people of the regions. Before that there were only agricultural jobs and with Tourism becoming a major employer, the standard of living and wages went up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful trip!! Glad you had a lovely time, and such a cute top you are wearing!! Have a wonderful weekend!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful blouse! Looks like you had a wonderful trip. I too like smaller, off the beaten track places.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you had a lovely time, those beaches look beautiful. Fabulous blouse.
    In the words of Dorothy "there's no place like home". Enjoy yours this weekend.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh MY! I am so glad you shared this - we went to Cancun (but a very small hotel) ;) and to Tulum for our honeymoon 12 years ago! I had always wanted to see clear water. Sadly most all of our honeymoon photos are stuck on a hard drive that crashed ;( I remember when we were in Tulum being the hottest i think I have ever been in my life, the great part is pretty much all our activities involve water there right?! I love the dress! I purchased one too when I was there and now I wish I had bought several! You look nice and sun warmed and relaxed! Glad you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what lovely beaches ! I love your mexican blouse, glad to have you back...bet the boys are too ! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhhhhhhhh lovely!
    But you forgot to tell us if the pretty blouse was cheaper in Mexico !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helsie,
      The blouse was £11. Incredible for all the lovely work in it.
      Hen x

      Delete
  16. Beautiful picture of you hen, love the blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for taking us along on your trip. It sounds wonderful! I'm so happy for you and happy you are now home safely.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely trip it seems you had! I love all things Mexico and Mexican, but then I grew up in Southern California. Someday I will get to Mexico, but this summer the Bahamas call. :-) Thank you for sharing your lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Hen,
    Looks like you had a wonderful holiday, the beaches look beautiful and so relaxing.
    I love your blouse, so pretty, it really suits you.
    Have a great weekend
    Love to all
    Linda O xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like you had the most wonderful time.
    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good to have you back! Lovely photo's, making me wish for the sun :( Your new blouse is beautiful, I hope you brought more than 1! x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like you had a great holiday. Lovely photos, you've made me wish we could go somewhere exotic this year now! Nice to see you back. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was wondering which part of the world you'd be in...
    I visited Mexico at Easter many years ago and keep very fond memories too, but unfortunately I wasn't old enough to appreciate the vibrant fabrics and lovely dresses and tops. You chose a nice top

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks like you got a great tan and I love the blouse!

    Penny
    x

    ReplyDelete
  25. what a greatt trip and love the blouse.....am so in need of some sun.....welcome back

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cor! Nice time had by all AND a great blouse. Just about Spring now- creeping into double figures: with this sunshine, if I go to the greenhouse, close the door,close my eyes...I could almost be beside a coral beach and blue,blue sea...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Absolutely gorgeous. We tend to go Turkey which can get a bad rep but the Antalya area has some wonderful spa hotels set among the pine forests and if you like culture thats never far away. Also at just over 4 hours flight time it suits us. Glad you enjoyed it and the photos make me want to fly off too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good to have you back! Missed your posts! Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Welcome back Hen. Your holiday photos do show a place very different from your home turf. The opportunity to enjoy the sun, sea, and beautiful gardens, without the company of the usual electronic devices must have made for a very relaxing time.

    I so agree with you about the lovely Mexican art and craft traditions. Your new lavishly embroidered blouse is a perfect example. Great that you were able to bring back those flowers ... they go well with your light tan.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for sharing your wonderful holiday pics & memories with us. You look fantastic in that blouse - it really suits you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for including us in your trip, my what beautiful photos. If I was ever to venture abroad I too would opt for the laid back destinations rather than the busy, busy ones.

    I love your top, you look so well it has evidently been a beneficial holiday for you. Welcome back we do miss you when you're absent and I for one will opt to read your posts before any others. You are young but have a wonderful sense of 'vintage' you're so lucky to have a likewise hubby mine prefers the more modern look. I wouldn't swap him for the riches of the world so I read blogs like yours to get my vintage fix. Thank you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Good to have you back! And you got your blouse too - pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ha! You look very nice in your new acquisition. Well chosen and thank you for showing such beautiful photo's of your holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Dream vacation and those blouses are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi There, What a wonderful holiday and what a lovely place!!! A holiday that will certainly be remembered for a long time!!! Lucky fish!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my! you almost look Mexican, (coming from a true Mexican) I'm glad you enjoyed my country and although it has a bad reputation at times, it gave you a wonderful experience. As a Mexican I traveled to a lot of historical sites, but until today I haven't experienced resort life,(hope one day) I live in Canada now and I'm green with envy that you had some nice heat; but overall if I don't get to enjoy it I'm glad somebody does. Hugs: Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ooh, what a lovely holiday! Thanks for the insight into Mexico. Love your new top and welcome back!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Ahh lush, we went to playa del carmen for our honeymoon...lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for sharing about your wonderful vacation, Hen! And don't you look lovely in your pretty new blouse and gorgeous tan! Blessings, Bess

    ReplyDelete
  40. Looks like a lovely holiday Hen. Welcome back, love the picture of you in your new Mexican top. Hope you bought lots of them.

    Julie and Poppy Q
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  41. This certainly looks like it was a blissful couple of weeks for you and the family.

    You look fab in your new mexican top!

    Victoria x
    www.florenceandmary.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. I visited Tulum back in 1999/2000 (we travelled to Mexico for New Year); it was a tiny little backwater place then - I'm guessing it's busier/more popular now, by the looks of the photos. We stayed in Playa del Carmen which, at the time, was also a quiet town. Upon returning in 2008 we found it to be VERY different - such is progress!
    Nice for you to escape the dreadful weather we've been having and have some consistent sunshine.
    I looked out for you in Frome on Saturday, but didn't see you - did you make it along to the Vintage Bazaar?

    ReplyDelete
  43. Gorgeous blouse! You look radiant and refreshed. :) Thanks for sharing your trip. I've never been to Mexico, but I like the idea of staying away from the commercialized resorts.

    ReplyDelete
  44. You look so pretty! Love the top. In fact, the whole break looks idyllic. As a parent of an only child am always worried that my daughter won't have anyone to play with on "abroad" holidays - was there plenty for the Munchkin to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo,
      I do know exactly what you mean. We generally go to a hotel with a children's club as he is never happier than when playing with other children. We've had good and bad children's clubs, this one was excellent. We also made good friends with another British couple who had two boys aged 7 and 9, and they all got on like a house on fire, spent ages in the pool/on the beach together, we generally looked out for each other's children and went to dinner together some nights. Last year was like that too, the year before not so (hardly any English speakers in the hotel), it really just depends. But if in doubt, a good children's club is great for you and your child, you don't have to put them in there all the time but if they like it, they want to go now and then and you all get a break!
      Hen xxx

      Delete
  45. ooh - you got one! Looks wonderful on you. Glad you had a lovely holiday.

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X