Wednesday, 24 April 2013

Rainbow Ripples

At last, that yellow ball in the sky known as the sun has peeked through the clouds to show its face.  I grabbed the opportunity and headed off outdoors.


Sunny weather and flowers just seem to go together.  I hope soon there might be some real ones in the garden but I'll make do with this old thrifty book with its gorgeous colour plates for now.


I wonder if any eagle-eyed readers spotted something familiar in the background?  Because when the sun shines after months of gloom, you know it's time to pull your finger out and get snapping all those quilts you've worked on throughout the Winter.

First up, is this ripple quilt, inspired of course, by the gorgeous crocheted ripple blanket of recent times.  If it can be made in wool, why not fabric, I thought?


I started it way back, here I was working on the hand quilting in the park, with the Munchkin.  It has been finished a while, just waiting its moment on the washing line of glory!


I love this quilt.  It's only small, as I don't like hand quilting large quilts but I do enjoy big-stitch quilting with perle cottons on something of this size.  The fabrics are many of my favourites, mainly 1930's reproduction in style, and I LOVE the Liberty backing.


I didn't get the rippley thing out of my system and some while later, I pondered that it would be possible to achieve the same chevron effect through a different method, rather than the half-square triangles I had used to make my "Rainbow Ripple" quilt.

What about simple blocks made of two stripes of fabric but then set on point in the quilt to achieve the rippley look?  And so its friend was born.


This time, I went for the addition of a stripe of white, too.  I like the fresh modern look this gives the quilt. It also has many of the same gorgeous 1930's inspired cottons in yummy shades. This design is a bit quicker to make than the half-square triangles, so I made a bigger quilt, but there is a fair bit of conscious keeping track required when it comes to sewing the blocks together as they're set on point (like a diamond).


I machine quilted this one and was so pleased with it that I felt it deserved me letting go of some of my hoarded Cath Kidston rosebud fabric for the backing.


What an idyllic afternoon it was yesterday, reclining on the garden bench surrounded by pretty cushions and quilts, finishing off the new Cath Kidston book, listening to the birds.  I hope we can look forward to many more days like that in the coming months.

The Rainbow Chevron quilt is currently waiting patiently for a new loving owner in my blogshop should you fancy a spot of pretty garden relaxing yourself.



41 comments:

  1. Hello Hen I did send some comments on your last post but they seems to have disappeared into the ether somewhere - maybe there is a planet with lost comments on!!! Anyway just a message to say I am so glad that you are back, have really missed you. Absolutely adore the quilts, you are so talented! I said in the last message how lovely you looked in your blouse, it really suits you. I do hope that this message gets through to you Hen.
    Lots of love as always
    Dorothy
    :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry about your other comments, Dorothy. You know how much I enjoy receiving them and I appreciate the time you take to leave them, so it's doubly annoying Thanks so much for persevering. I hope you are well and stitching in your spare time...
      Hen x

      Delete
  2. Those quilts are fantastic Hen! Quite stunning!
    I have a copy of that wildflower book, picked it up for 50p very recently complete with paper flycover that the local cats protection coffee morning.
    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. both really lovely hen.....am contemplating a chevron today myself....if i can shift from the computer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilts and what a lovely bench! I wish I could relax there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just love the big stitch on your quilts they are so beautiful, love the fabrics and colours. Evangeline:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm all bunged up with a rotten cold and grumpily trying to do a bit of work on the laptop when I decided to have a little wander over to blogland. I'm so glad I did - these quilts are just the ray of sunshine I needed! I particularly like the first one - those fabrics are beautiful. Well done and thank you for brightening my rather snotty day!! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your beautiful quilts. I was in the garden yesterday too. planting seeds and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Amazing quilts again...and lovely setting to show them off!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilts, Hen, and quite right to use your special fabrics - it's all too easy to start cherishing them too much and then they never get used.(Can you tell I'm a fabric hoarder??) I've been using a heavier thread and bigger stitch for hand quilting for a while now - started because I needed to get a quilt done for a deadline. I use one strand of 4 ply cotton, the variegated kind by 21st Century Yarns, beautiful to sew with, looks lovely and isn't as expensive to use as perle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely ice creamy colours.
    Yep spring is in full flow here, I think the birds are singing louder this year, I guess they are as happy as we are!
    On further garden inspection, definitely no lupin activity!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hen,the quilts are lovely and the knitted pillow? I love. I always enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh I love these summery colours...just loking at the quilts has made me go all ice-creamy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love both your quilts, they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilts are just beautiful. I wish I had the patience to make another, but I always mess the binding up. I absolutely love the way you've imitated the infamous crochet ripple. Thank you for sharing your spot of sunshine with us.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are just beautiful Hen, that don't they just look fab in the sun too! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  16. How lovely that first photo is, a reminder of past days chilling out in the peace of the garden. The quilts are beautiful as always, I love the chevron pattern and you've got it just the right balance of fabrics to compliment each other. Thank you for my Hen House fix or his week lol.

    Peg xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! Absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilts are gorgeous. I love the whole setup on the bench, it really does look completely idyllic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how you made a ripple in quilting! Brilliant! Your outdoor lounge looks divine! We're at the coast for my birthday week.. :-).. you should pop over and see all the agates we've found!! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your quilts are gorgeous Hen!! Love all the sweet prints!! Wishing you a lovely day! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  21. You do take beautiful pictures. Both of the quilts are gorgeous, the book looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great quilts- loving the perle quilting...my new favourite for hand quilting big chunky style is puppets eldorado cotton crochet thread from coats- the name sounds hilarious, but it is lovely for stitching with, sharper than a shashiko, but softer than perle.
    How good is it to see some SUN?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful quilts as always. And how lovely to be sitting in the garden in the sun. Bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely quilts as always Hen xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Both quilts are just beautiful! Love that Cath Kidson back! Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Stunning,gorgeous,delightful...there aren't enough words!
    LOVE the floral fabric cushion on the bench.
    Your blog is always warm and sunny Hen...just like the weather today.

    Bellaboo X

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful quilts! I love your colors.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've just made a ripple in the second method - such fun! Love your quilts. Enjoy the sunshine; ours has been delightful Autumn sunshine, the last before Winte arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my goodness! I love those! I have a ripply afghan my great grandma made me, and I have always loved that motif. Lovely work, Hen!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks lovely in your garden Hen. Glad to see you are getting some sunbeams. The quilts are grand.

    Julie and Poppy Q
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. You have done it again...! Pretty, pretty quilts! The zig-zag pattern and the white fabric draws the attention to the beautiful floral fabrics - so nice. If I need some eye candy and inspiration I always visit Henhouse - never lets me down. Hope the good weather soon is here to stay. Had a few good, sunny days here inDenmark too. Hugs from Christine (a former lurker..:) )

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Hen,
    Your quilts are fantastic, love them!!
    The fabrics that you have used are so pretty.
    Loving this sunny weather, what better way to spend the day than in the garden!!
    Have a great weekend
    Love to all
    Linda O xxx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely as always. Shall you be going to York Vintage Fair tomorrow? If so I might see you there, Lucey x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely as always. Shall you be going to York Vintage Fair tomorrow? If so I'll see you there, Lucey x

    ReplyDelete
  35. how can you bear to sell those! amazing quilts...

    ReplyDelete
  36. Both quilts are gorgeous! Glad you had a good holiday

    ReplyDelete
  37. I think this may actually be my absolute favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lovely quilts, my favorite is the one with the white zig zag stripes in it.

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X