Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Didn't we have a Luvverly Time

...the day we went to Eridge Park, and precisely, to the Decorative Living Fair.  Organised by Caroline Zoob and friend, I haven't been to this fair for a few years, largely due to the fact that the weather has been so awful and wet.  As Master Munchkin was away on a school trip all last week, I found myself with time and most importantly, sunshine on my hands, so off I went.  Come on!

The fair is in an unrivalled setting, basically a country park with a beautiful house at its centre (some of the stalls are in here) and acres of rolling countryside.  The backdrop to the outdoor marquees is breathtaking.


The house isn't bad, either!


The last time, I went to this fair, I remember there being one large marquee with stalls and another for the teas, with a few brave stall holders outside.  Oh my, how this event has grown.  Having spent a few of my pennies in what I thought was the main marquee, I ventured out into the sunshine to find a veritable shopping avenue had been created with a further two open-fronted marquees.


The stalls were of eye-wateringly super quality.  The merchandise was mainly vintage with some handmade, too, and little in the way of new goods (some candles, a few clothes and garden plants and ornaments).  The stall holders had pulled out all the stops and everything was beautifully and tantalisingly displayed, "The Old Haberdashery" being a case in point.  (This is a shop based in Ticehurst which I think is a must-visit for the future.)




I confess to ransacking the fabrics, very reasonably priced, too.

Stall holders reliably informed me that they had kept much of their best stock for this fair.  I could tell!  There were swoon-worthy items for the home...




Sad-looking much-loved vintage toys begging to be given a new home...


Gorgeous old cotton reels and cards of beautiful buttons...


Fabulous fabric (as to be expected from The Washerwoman)...


Utterly beautiful displays on a floral theme from the lovely shop Living Vintage (based in Battersea, I have blogged previously about my visits there)...



More furry friends, of the sit-on push-along type.  Woof!



Gorgeous greenery...


Sarah Moore (who has recently published her fabulous "Vintage Home" book) had a stall full of items you wanted to take home.




Phew!  Time to refuel.  The catering at this fair is of a high standard too (even if, at only just after midday, a lot of things did seem to have run out), and a real effort is made with white linen cloths and posies of flowers in vintage vases on the tables of the bunting-decked marquee.


How could I refuse?



I can also say that the shoppers and stall holders were all really friendly and pleasant to chat with, no elbows out here!  They were also very well dressed.  When I admired this lady's jacket, who did it turn out to belong to but Sarah Jane down-the-lane.  Having followed her blog for some time, it was the first time we'd bumped into each other.  It was also nice to have a natter with fellow blogger The Vanilla Squirrel and her floral jacket was much admired!  I realised I was trailing her round the fair as our photos of pretty much the same things kept cropping up on Instagram within minutes of each other!


Lizzie (The Washerwoman) was easily spotted in her fabulous patchwork coat.


I went for spots.


After a truly lovely few hours in splendid sunshine, I headed back to the car (the walk felt longer now my arms were somewhat longer), pleased with my booty.



More excitement was to come once I got home.  Isn't it great when you get back and can "play" with all your newly-found goodies?  I was eager to have a look at my new tin as it wasn't just the delightful anemones on the outside that tempted me but the price label attached which read "includes sewing bits".


It contained a veritable hoard of treasure from 1920's bakelite belt buckles through 1940's embroidery silks to 1970's cotton reels.  Smashing!


Vying for first place as prize find, is this stunning hand-pieced hexagon patchwork quilt which I bought from Sarah Moore.  It was only when I got home and opened it out fully that I appreciated how big it is; it easily covers the top of a king size bed.  So many hours of painstaking work in it, the real delight for me are all the divine fabrics, all in my favourite shade and dating to around the 1930's.  Love.


And sad knitted bunny?  How could I resist?  He has a home with all my other misfits but he doesn't look too happy about it!


All in all, a day to remember.

41 comments:

  1. What a wonderful fair to visit and the quilt you found is absolutely stunning. I have nothing but admiration for the amount of patience it must take to make a hexy quilt.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hen I am just drooling over the gorgeous pics and wonderful things you purchased. You look as if you had a really fab day, thank you for sharing them all with us.
    Lots of love
    Dorothy
    :-) xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fabulous treasures. I really, really, really want to visit this fair next year. I read the Vanilla Squirrel's post about it too and it sounds wonderful! M x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many fabulous purchases! You lucky lady. I would love to attend this kind of event someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like a lovely venue! I was drooling over your pictures of the fabric, the buttons, and the plants!
    Thanks for sharing your experiences and your photos....I always so look forward to taking a leisurely time looking and reading.
    Monique in Pennsylvania, USA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your finds....love the quilt top and all the goodies in your tin.....are just wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely day out Hen! I am glad I spotted the bunny in your boot - you couldn't have left him there now could you? The tin was a wonderful find with all the sewing bits and bobs. It looks like you had a bit of a spend up!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have far too many sewing boxes, bought because they had all their sewing contents in them...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to be able to go to fairs like this, but at least I get to see them through your blog. Your tin is a lovely find, all those treasures! The quilt is beautiful too. And you've given an elderly bunny a new home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH Wow! What a wonderful day out. My mum use to have a biscuit tin like that, so it is about 1968 or 1969. We only had a 'posh' tin of biscuits like that at Christmas time, and I remember using it for my domestic science ingredients until the next 'posh' tin came along! Love the little bunny, he is fab!
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a wonderful day out :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Very envious of the tin and contents- as you know I was given a sewing box full of stuff the other week- thought there would be some real goodies in it, some nice cottons and wooden reels, but the rest was pretty useless and grim,sadly. Was hoping to share some with you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my!!!! Such a wonderfully lovely day you had. I love the tins, the quilt, the food-well just everything! How could you ever leave with such treasures to be found?
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well now the quilt is beautiful but the tin would very definitely be my favourite - what a treasure chest! Hope Mr Bunny is settling in x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely post! Thank you for sharing your fun day via your beautiful photos. Oh, how I wish I could have shared the day with you. We have nothing like this, that I know of, in Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So much flippin gorgeousness, how I love your blog
    : ) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. HI, what a lovely fair. The haberdashery stall is my idea of heaven, I love vintage sewing items. The cake alone looked like it was worth the trip. Thanks for sharing with us. Cheers Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness -that looks like an amazing day out. What fabulous treasures in the tin! Bunny looks quite at home now with his new friends.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous fayre, I really wanted to go but couldn't find anyone to keep me company. After seeing your pictures and reading about your day, I am absolutely going next year! I am in love with the coat that the washerwoman is wearing and I am heading over to her blog next xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for taking me Hen! I adored it!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a treasure trove you brought home from that fabby fair! I spent the weekend at a DAR state conference.. and then took 2 ladies on a tour of the gorge on Sunday. Pix on blog.. thanks for taking us to the fair! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a veritable feast for the eyes! I'm green with envy ...

    Lovely day out

    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful fair..it all looked top quality too, you defiantly founds some fab treasures,
    I love all the vintage notions in the old biscuit tin, they remind me of my Auntie Eileen, bless her,
    Happy Week
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am in awe. What an amazingly wonderful fair. I love that tin that you picked up....being a tin collector myself.....I am just green with envy!! Only kidding! And those push-a-long dogs......I WANT ONE!!
    Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love all your new pretties and treasures!!! What a wonderful day you had!! And, the hexagon quilt is gorgeous!! Have a lovely week Hen! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  26. What an awesome day! Love the hexi quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  27. sounds like a perfect day, I don't know what I love the most the gorgeous tin or the treasure inside, what a find ! I think Bunny is secretly very pleased to have a lovely new home!lovely post as always,
    Mim x

    ReplyDelete
  28. So jealous! What a fantastic day and what lovely bits and pieces you came home with. xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful vista and what treasures. Just makes you all giddy inside doesn't it? That quilt is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my goodness, that looks fantastic in every way! Even with all of that fabric and all of those notions, my absolute favorite thing is those push-along dogs! I have never, ever seen anything remotely like them. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Now that's what you call a fair! Looks fantastic & I enjoyed sharing your day on Instagram :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi There,Just as well I couldn't attend!!!That fair would have been a bank breaker for me!!!But Oh!!It would have been such a joy!!!Love your bits and bobs!!!Lucky you!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  33. What fun! I feel like I was with you on a lovely afternoon of junking. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What lots of lovely finds especially the fabrics, glad I was feeling too lazy to go I'd be bankrupt!♥

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a wonderful tour...thanks for taking us along. My first time visiting you, but I will for sure come back. Lovely lg :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh Hen, What a fabulous fair, how i wish i lived closer!! all that eye candy, has got me feeling quite light-headed!! LOVE all your finds and i'm so pleased to see that tatty bunny made his way home with you, he deserves to be loved!! I've never been one for patchwork clothing but i must say i've had to have a closer look at the patchwork jacket and washerwoman's hexie coat..both are positively luvverly!!! Ohhhhhhh and one more thing, all those doggies on wheels, ohhhh i've always wanted one i wonder how much it would cost to ship one downunder.. i'll keep dreaming :))) cheers...Marian

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you once again Hen for shareing some of the beautiful things on offer in the uk. I'll be over next year and looking forward to all those fairs and country homes. Cheers Eva

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love the pic of you and your goodies! :D Have you blogged about that bracelet before?

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a wonderful haul! Every single one of your treasures would have been very welcome at my house, especially the dear wee bunny, who I sure is smiling inside now that he has some new friends to love him.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Lovely finds! Got my eyes on those pretty fabrics, so as on your next posts.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I've been enjoying your blog for awhile. Thanks for taking us along with you to the fair. The vintage goodies are just as appealing on this side of the 'pond'! Look forward to your next post, too. Jo Johnston

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X