Wednesday, 12 June 2013

A Garden Party 1940's Style

Here we are, Wednesday already.  How did that happen?  Did you have a good weekend?  Made the most of the sunshine, I do hope?  We were off again on a little jolly, headed to the Midlands this time, with our vintage bags firmly packed.  

It took us three hours to cross approximately twelve miles of London; a three-hour trip turned into a horrendous six hours.  Good job we knew that the delightful Kateshill House was waiting for us at the other end.  Ahh, bed!

Our destination: beautiful Bewdley in Worcestershire. You may recall that we visit each year to take part in the 1940's event on the steam railway.  Sadly, this year, we are double booked.  But no matter, for last weekend, we had another reason to visit. Saturday was free to explore, the boys set off for the Severn Valley Railway and I headed off on the short walk into town.

Along the way, a spot of yarn bombing waited to be admired.

It just so happened that it was carnival weekend in Bewdley.  The previous evening, we had arrived to fireworks over the bridge on our approach.  Saturday saw a traditional carnival of floats process down the main street.  I loved this one, celebrating the Queen's Coronation.  There was even a tv on board showing a picture of the Queen at the ceremony.

Bewdley is a pretty, old-fashioned town.  A visit to the sweet shop, on behalf of the boys, was a must!

We joined up later for a little family time and headed for a destination we don't usually find time to visit.  We thoroughly enjoyed our trip to the safari park, in particular, we loved the big furry boys, of course!

You could get very close to some of the animals.

The following day, we awoke to more sunshine, hooray, and headed off to the home of some friends who had invited to us to a garden party at their beautiful home.  They also happen to be vintage clothes dealers, in fact that is how we met them.  Handy!  This is a garden party with a difference; every person is dressed in authentic vintage clothing, 1930s-'50s.  Some had also travelled in style...

We were extremely lucky to be entertained by the wonderful singer Lola Lamour, well known on the re-enactment circuit, and her excellent band.  Simply fabulous!

For some, there was the chance to indulge in gentlemanly pursuits in the garden.  Others could have been shopping, per chance (a whole showroom of vintage goodies to peruse).

Back home (in gloomy weather, now, it has to be said), it was time to make room for the weekend's finds and have a little tidy.  Mr HenHouse bought me a lovely vintage RAF sweetheart necklace which I decided to house along with (some of!) my vintage jewellery collection in this pretty fabric-covered box.

Putting away Sunday's frock, I enjoyed my vintage skirts awhile. I had been getting back into the swing of wearing these in last week's sunshine.

The vintage case came home filled with gorgeous new (old!) goodies.  Mainly delightful 1940's pieces, I do love a good hat, with a bit of Summery 1950's tangerine.  It was all that sunshine!

We also found this lovely old Smiths clock.  We have been after one of these as the finishing touch for our kitchen for ages.  We'd found a smaller one in the meantime but could not resist this whopper in original condition, most importantly at a great price. I do love a ticking clock.

And now, I think it's time for a spot of lunch, with my new reading matter to hand.  This morning, I popped to Stag and Bow as usual, to take part in the crafty morning.  A lovely lady came to collect some items she'd bought from me and most surprisingly, had bought a parcel of goodies for me, in return.  I was so touched.  Thank you, Pi, you're one of life's lovely ladies.  This sort of kindly deed restores my faith, I must say.  Fabulous feedsack and marvellous magazines.  That Stitchcraft, oh my!  


  1. What a lovely get-away! Thank you for sharing all of these gorgeous photos. I always enjoy coming for a visit! :)

  2. Your getaway looks like so much fun. I would love to have shopped with you. :)

  3. You had rather a lovely time at the weekend. Love your jewellery collection.
    Julie xxxxxxx

  4. Thank you for taking us with you on your lovely outing, you found some beautiful things.
    What a kind lady to give you such gorgeous fabric.
    Carol xx

  5. Lovely post Hen and I agree it is so nice when someone does a kind deed out of the blue, it certainly does restore your faith in human nature. I love the clock in your kitchen.
    Jo xx

  6. Hi Hen, What a lovely fun filled getaway!!! I absolutely love that bicycle!!!Have a fab week!!!

  7. Hi Hen you have been busy haven't you. As always a gorgeous post teeming with colour and joy. You always lighten my load, thank you so much.
    Lots of love

  8. Hello Hen,

    Thanks fir your lovely blog. I'm reading it for a while now. Today I've told my blog readers about your blog. I hope they do enjoy it as much as I do. I blog in Dutch but have a translator on the right side of my blog. Love your beautiful pictures!

    Greetings, Annemieke

  9. You can not beat the nostalgic feeling of old fashioned sweets and that bed looks incredible xx

  10. Love your travels and the nostalgia that comes with it. Thank you for taking us along and I, too, love a ticking clock!

  11. Interesting post, as usual. And I do like the old clock for your kitchen! Take care, Clara.

  12. Looks like a lovely weekend :) x

  13. Oh those sweet jars.....I grew up in a sweet shop! Looks like a fab place! :) x

  14. Looks like you all had a lovely weekend!
    What a bed!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing
    Love to all
    Linda O xx

  15. Lovely photos, looks like so much fun. That Safari park looks great!

  16. I like the look of Bewdley and not too far for me. Sounds like you had another fabulous weekend.

  17. Always love when you share your outings! I hadn't even thought about your clock ticking when I was it on Instagram. Now I love it even more. :) I think I remember seeing Lola in some of your other posts. What a fabulous garden party!

  18. Bewdley also has a lovely patchwork shop x

  19. Looks a fun weekend and purchases to boot! Love the little navy blue handbag in your suitcase x

  20. Me ha encantado su blog.Es precioso!Feliz navidad desde España.Bsos.


You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X