Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Hello Stranger

That's how I feel reader, like a stranger to my own blog.  It's been far too long, I'm shocked to see how long, since I popped in here, so without further ado, let me get on and rectify that.  Sooo much has happened recently, life always seems to get much busier at this time of year.  I hope I'm finding you tickety boo and enjoying this rare sunshine.  Hurrah.

As I just uploaded my photos to the computer and looked through them, oh so many of them, I realised I'd better group them into some sort of order so today, I'm looking back at the times we've spent in the West Country recently.  Oh wonderful Wessex.  We've enjoyed some sunny days down at our little cottage, everything looks so much better in the sun, don't you find?  I picked a pretty posy of lily of the valley, and not a lot else (come on flowers, start blooming.)  The scent was heavenly.


Back peddling a little, before arriving at our bolt hole, we stopped off via the Vintage and Handmade Fair at Chipping Sodbury.  I'd been busy in the week leading up to the fair, working on some new goodies for sale.  Decidedly pretty but damaged cloths had their good bits salvaged and turned into these vintage-style hanger covers.  I added a little felt flower, 1940's style, to each one, and some pretty lace or crochet trim.


Talking of 1940's flowers, I produced an array of posy brooches and also, some cute little hair clips.  On the day, they were housed in a lovely vintage French fabric-covered box which I had bought the week before at the Decorative Living Fair.


The stalls were customarily beautiful.  Donna Flower tempted me with the most gorgeous of vintage textiles, of course.  I re-homed the 1940's pot holders.


Organiser Michele (Cowboys and Custard) had squirrelled away the cutest children's toys specially for the day.  A young lady was later seen sporting the wonderful vintage Clarks' shoes.


Ali from Betty and Violet had a stunning display, these tiny dolls were particularly lovely.


My stall was looking rather pink, of course.  I ran up some cushions from my stash of vintage barkcloth, much like the ones in my sitting room.


I've decided to have a rest from stalling at the fair but you will find me and my goodies in my Etsy shop, of course.  I'll be adding some barkcloth cushions, hanger covers and posy brooches and clips in the next couple of days.

The next day, it was time for some thrifty retail therapy of our own and we headed off to the car boot sale which has a very civilised start time of 1pm.  Alongside the usual linens and novels, we managed to pack a pair of wing chairs into the car.  They look pretty hideous right now but it's the shape I'm interested in and not the covering.  Watch this space for a make over.


We finished our half-term trip with a visit to our beloved Bridport, but this time on a Wednesday instead of our customary Saturday.  We were lucky as the sun shone and whilst there weren't quite as many stall on the street market, it was nice and quiet so easier to look, and much easier to park.


I fell in love with this stunning hand embroidered 1930's blouse but it was badly moth damaged.  There are only so many "display" pieces I can justify.  I'm feeling wistful as I look at it, though...


This kitchen cabinet was rather fetching, too.


Bridders never disappoints!

Memories of my cosy cottage bed stay with me.   This was the first patchwork quilt I ever made and still remains a favourite despite its somewhat less-than-perfect execution.  It was good to catch up on sleep which always seems in short supply with these light mornings.


The chairs have been installed in the sitting room and temporarily covered with an assortment of quilts, blankets and cushion which, funnily enough, I have quite a hoard of.


The morning after we arrived home, I enjoyed unpacking all my thrifty and vintage goodies.  Hmm, a pretty good haul.  I've already used one of the 10p vintage zips to mend a vintage circle skirt.  Just in time for sunny weather.


Also on the mending front, I finally finished this pretty 1940's silk blouse which I bought from the Shepton Mallet flea market.  The arm holes were teeny tiny so I removed the cuffs and re-hemmed the sleeves.  I also added some pretty vintage glass buttons, the originals had been replaced with inappropriate ones.  All ready for a Summer outing.


So there it is, back home to Summer in the City.  What better way to remember our time in the West than with a traditional cream tea.  (I used for the first time, Paul Hollywood's recipe for scones on the BBC Good Food website.  Superb!  Even my mum approved and requested the recipe.)


Now I am organised and life is back to a regular routine, I'll be back soon.  Once I've restocked that Etsy shop!

26 comments:

  1. Your coat hanger covers are wonderful.
    I remember wearing a pair of those Clarks shoes for school. I wore either those or Start-rite.
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful post Hen. You do put on a fine display! I love the barkcloth cushions. They look so summery! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an action-packed post! You seem to do so much. I love it. Those West Country street markets and boot sales seem well worth visiting. One day.

    And the fair too. An abundance of gorgeousness. Those clarks shoes looks rather familiar.

    I'm off to search for your scone recipe. Such a great food website.

    Love to you and the furry boys. Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an action-packed post! You seem to do so much. I love it. Those West Country street markets and boot sales seem well worth visiting. One day.

    And the fair too. An abundance of gorgeousness. Those clarks shoes looks rather familiar.

    I'm off to search for your scone recipe. Such a great food website.

    Love to you and the furry boys. Sarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to read you again, as usual. I love the fabrics from the fair...so cute! I completely understand what you mean about one's first quilt. (Even if I've only just made 2 simple ones:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do sound like you have been having fun. The Clarks shoes are so cute and I'd have snapped them up if they fitted me too. I have just checked to see if you have listed the hanger covers yet ... can you let me know when you do and will you be at the Frome Rag Market on the 29th? m x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many gorgeous things in one post! Love the cushions.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun to get caught up with all you've been up to, Hen.

    Your Wessex getaway looks a delight in every way. That Munchkin is certainly a handsome lad...his winning smile is so charming.

    Bridport does look like a treasure trove. Where oh where do all these treasures come from? Perhaps not all younger generations appreciate vintage gems?

    Now...here's something funny about the Clarks shoes. One of my favorite current pair of shoes, bought last year, are shiny tortoise-shell brown Doc Martin's very much based on the classic Clarks. They are comfy, stylish in a strange sort of way, and always attract compliments.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much vintage loveliness! Had to smile at the nightdress pattern. Look at the waist and then her expression. She is holding it in! Fab job on the silk blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those hanger covers are brilliant- now I know what to do with my odd tray cloths- I do like a fancy hanger. I also like wing armchairs, very comfy, but always covered in GRIM fabrics!...I'm wondering if you are going for similar to that wonderful 'houses' patched chair you showed me on pinterest? Those Clarke's sandals were the sort I spent my youth in,red was my favourite colour, so comfy, I seek similar shoes out even now.Good to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your hanger-covers, Hen, and those photos of fabric covered 'thingies' wonderful eye candy!

    'm sure that kitchen cabinet belonged to my (long-departed) aunt Sophie! Exact replica. And I am waiting with bated breath for your chair-covering story to emerge, come on!
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely to read you again, and relish all the colours in your pretty photos.
    Thanks for taking thetime to share it all with us- much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your pretty hangers!! Your stall looked so lovely!! And, such sweet treasures you brought home!! Wishing you a wonderful and creative week Hen! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  14. What lovely photos of your great days out, and we don't even have to go anywhere to enjoy them, just sit in our own homes. Beautiful cushions (glad I got in early lol)✿

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great blog. It was worth the wait and worth rereading. Love it all ... the sight of your cozy quilt made me want to crawl back into bed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful post! Full of beauty and fun. Thank you!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely time you've had. Love all your makes on your stall I'm surprised you didn't sell everything, and the quilt on the bed looks so inviting, Lucey x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like you had a lovely halfterm break

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all your photos, they are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You get to see the most fun sales and things! Your booth looked wonderful, wish I could have shopped it, but thank goodness for Etsy! I just finished knitting a dress for my Miss Maggie Maria bunny.. I just posted photos. It was quite a challenge for me! I will check your Etsy shop soon. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your lovely vintage posts always make me feel so wistful, so much loveliness.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful! I love the barkcloth. Actually, every time I look at the peonies currently blooming in the backyard, it makes me think of your blog and all the wonderful floral things you find/make.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A joy as always Hen. Also, a while back one of your readers was saying that she wanted a new blog following tool. I have found Bloglovin and it's great. Really easy to use. Enjoy the sunshine! Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  24. When did your Munchkin stop being cute and turn into a handsome young man? I am thinking it must have happened overnight!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I cannot wait to see what you do with those wingback chairs!

    Victoria xx
    Florence and Mary

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely post, so many great images. Those tiny dolls are beautiful, so chic. I want one! I really like the look of your cushions :)

    http://missmel7.blogspot.com.au/

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Day-In-The-Life-Of-Mel/631901246839015

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X