Sunday, 11 August 2013

Stepping Back at Crich

Through the wonders of t'internet, readers, here I am (hopefully) blogging from my bed in our holiday cottage in The Peak District.  I therefore really hope this blog post reaches you looking tickety boo.

Last week, I made my annual pilgrimage to Birmingham to spend two days at the brilliant Festival of Quilts. The boys joined me along the way and we then headed for this beautiful county of Derbyshire and have treated ourselves to a whole week here, staying near Bakewell, to get out and explore.

Yesterday was a real highlight as it offered the opportunity to visit somewhere we had never been, but long wanted to, and to step back in time for a 1940's event, too.

Crich is a village in the beautiful Peak District.  Set high up, the surrounding countryside is breathtaking. At its heart, is a tram museum which recreates a village street scene. The wonderfully preserved trams, dating back as far as the Victorian era, trundle up and down the cobbled street all day long, with various places along the way to hop on and off.  As we were there to attend the 1940's wartime event, the trams running were all authentically from that era.

The village even comes complete with bandstand and many attractive buildings: a sweet shop, tea room, bank and even The Red Lion pub (yes, it really serves drinks!)



The bandstand was home to some really good 1940's style entertainers.


The first thing we did, of course, was hop on a tram.  The Munchkin wanted to go upstairs, predictably, and it did offer a super view.



I turned out for the day in summery fashion, a first outing for these original '40's frock, hat, bag and shoes.


Mr HenHouse, in his RAF finest, caught up on the news. 


After an exciting little ride, off we hopped to explore the street which the museum had taken the trouble to dress as if we were back in 1940.



We met some characters along the way; this spiv had some stockings to peddle on the black market, gasp!


These ladies from Norfolk were having fun in their pretty pinnys.


A lot of people at this event had taken the time to get into the spirit and dress '40's style and with the backdrop of the period buildings, it made for a brilliant spectacle.


These RAF boys were making the most of their time off on leave!


There were a lot of vintage vehicles present too, all of which helped add to the atmosphere.


Part way through the afternoon, there was a parade through the street and a whole line of military and civilian vehicles drove down, along with their occupants all dressed in various vintage guises.


All day, there were lots of trams running, to admire and easily hop on and off.


There is also a museum which holds many trams from the 1800s onwards with interesting displays to further your knowledge.

One building had window displays devoted to make do and mend and the Munchkin was eager to try his hand at making a rag rug.


There were also some modern day sellers in attendance and of course, I relished the opportunity to add to my '40's wardrobe!  All in all, it was a really super day and if you get the chance to visit, I recommend it, especially when the street is really brought alive at a 1940's event, of course.

33 comments:

  1. Looks like you had and are having a GRAND time
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The local ladies out here in the Limousin are still wearing those pinnies...

    penny
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks as though everyone had a spiffin' time! We're off to the Beamish Museum at the end of the month and are really looking forward to stepping back in time. Have you ever been there?

    Chel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What completely amazing photos - thanks for sharing. You look amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks brilliant, it must be so much fun when everyone enters into the spirit of the time, You as always look stunning ! and Mr Hen cuts a dash in uniform ! have a lovely holiday, I look forward to hearing and seeing all about it x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved reading this !!! :o)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my favourite part of England. Love Crich havent been there for sometime though, bought back some memories for me,thanks.
    p.s. Chel, Beamish is brilliant too you will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh!!!!! What wonderful things you 3 do together!!! Such memories for the munchkin!!! I so wish my dad was alive so I could show him your post..he would have LOVED it all....he was of course there in the war.. Someday I'm crossing the great pond to come to one of these events!!
    Thanks so for sharing your time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading the posts you do when you go off to these events. Seeing that so many people take part is just fab.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like you had so much fun. I love that so many people get into the spirit of the times and dress up also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to visit one of these events. Alas, funds don't permit a trip across the ocean just yet. Sigh... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like so much fun. You look so pretty! I would love to have vintage clothes like that sometime. I hope you continue to have a great time on your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We adore Derbyshire, just popped there this afternoon visiting Hardwick Hall. It's years since I went to Crich, we must go again I'd forgotten how great it is! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving seeing the photos of Crich. I remember going there as a child and now really fancy going back. Not sure if it's a 1940s phrase but you're rocking your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fabulous fun! Loved all the folks in period dress. Thanks so much for letting us have a look at the '40's' scene.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My Aunt had her wedding reception at the Red Lion when it was in Stoke. It was moved to make way for the A500 . So nice to think its still going in another setting. A lovely place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely amazing place and you all look wonderful in your vintage clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. How fun! I enjoyed your photos.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks great.Always meant to get to Crich, now determined to get there.
    Excellent seeing you in Brum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hen, it's clear that you all had a fine time at Crich. (What a name for a place!) You look totally fabulous in that photo. The hat truly adds that special touch to the perfect outfit.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love reading your posts! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, what fun Hen!! You look beautiful!! So glad you and your sweet family had such a lovely time!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hen you do look pretty, and hubby looks handsome. Looks like a great day out.

    Julie and Poppy Q
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, I loved Crich when I visited a couple of years ago. I would have loved to have gone this year, but could not make it :( Thankfull you did, and now I don't feel like I missed out as your pics made me feel like I had been there!

    Lucious frock (as always) xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's tickety boo indeed! I was there too and had a splendid time. I have to say that your photos are better than mine, I get carried away and forget to snap at everything! We've never been to the 1940's weekend there before but are regular visitors to the Tramway Museum. We live very close to Crich but even closer to Hardwick Hall, where one of your other readers mentioned, we nip there for tea and cake far too often.
    So glad you're visiting our part of the country, I read your blog regulary and enjoy reading about your excursions all over.
    I'm currently trying to convince my husband that we really need to visit Pickering for one of their 40's weekends, many people tell me how great it is and we haven't been to Pickering since the 80's! We are long overdue a visit, don't you think?

    Beckah

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lookin' " fabbalus" in your frock, Hen, I love the way your whole family throws itself into the spirit of the thing. Great photos. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love these posts. I so enjoy the old buildings, the trains and the products being sold. You go to amazing places. I'm so happy to know these places still exist.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What fun! You look gorgeous -- right out of a movie.

    I found a crocheted rag rug (small) at a church rummage sale this weekend.
    It made me think of my grandmother who never wasted anything.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Hen what a lovely post, I so wanted to attend this but couldn't due to family illness, thank you for bringing it so alive for me and your other followers. Loved this post and can't wait to read the next instalment
    Lots of love as always
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. You all look wonderful, and I am once again convinced you live in the most beautiful place in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh Hen, it looks amazing, and you look absolutely fabulous ... you all do, I love the effort you all make to fit right in. What a great day out, just my cup of tea ...

    Thanks for popping into Thriftwood yesterday, you're always welcome!

    Love Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Brilliant photos, you all look like you are having a smashing time. You look amazing, Hen and Mr Hen and The Munchkin look fabulous too. I love that you all get dressed up and really into the spirit of things!!
    I went to Crich on a primary school trip many, many moons ago, and enjoyed it then, I'm sure I would appreciate it more now though.
    Lovely to see posts, even with you being on holiday, hope you're having a great time
    Love to all
    Linda O xxx

    ReplyDelete
  33. That all looks great, and your costumes are fabulous. We are off to Twinwood for the first time next weekend. Hope it's as enjoyable as yours obviously was

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X