Saturday, 28 December 2013

Feeling Festive


Well, it is rather late, but I'd like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas, readers.  Time has just run away with me this year but I still wanted to get here, my special place, and record our goings on for the festive period.  Maybe one reason I've been short of blogging time, is that it has been a very handmade Christmas here this year.

First, as you may recall, there was the granny ripple blanket.


It isn't finished, although, it has grown a lot, but I never thought it would be finished this year.  It is much wider than I really anticipated so each stripe takes a good half hour but it is looking great and feeling super cosy.    I think I will park it now and get back to it next Christmas when I am in the festive mood again.  I have enjoyed the soothing, easy pattern very much.

It wasn't long before I was reacquainting myself with my Christmas fabric stash.  I still hadn't got those pot holders out of my head and whipped up a few as gifts for crafty friends.


I also made us a giant bauble pot holder which Mr HenHouse found came in very handy for resting the wine decanter on!


I also became seized by the desire to make another Christmas quilt.  I cut many 2.5" wide strips.  It was time for a festive scrappy trip along.


I worked on the blocks here and there, adding to my Christmas fabric stash along the way, (there is a new quilting shop in Bridport!) and watching old DVDs of Ally McBeal, so soon, I was nearing completion.  I wasn't sure I'd get it finished, so many other things were vying for my time and attention.


In between, we found some time to decorate the house.



I enjoyed gathering together all my red and green vintage bits and pieces for the shelves in my kitchen. Why not having something good to look at whilst washing up?  I will miss this when it's time to take it down.


The cottage also had a few decorations put up and was soon looking like a magical grotto!


The dresser had a bit of festive cheer added, too.


Back at the ranch, as they say, the making continued with a cute holly brooch.


I was very late in getting my Christmas cards made this year and I continued what I had started on the Jessie Chorley workshop back in November.


You might just be able to see that the one top left has a little embroidered and beaded Christmas tree brooch attached (which it was possible to remove and wear).  I liked this so much, I made the same brooch for myself but this one went to a good, brooch-loving friend.

Somewhere along the way, to accompany the Christmas crooners in the background, the Den received a little festive touch.  It's always a pleasure to work in here, but especially at this time of year.


Other making was going on, not necessarily of the textile kind.  The cakes had been made well in advance and dutifully fed and watered!   One for my in-laws, one for us.  I like the old fashioned way of decorating, with thick swirled icing to look like snow and old decorations, as my mum and nan have always done it.


More craftiness took place in the late afternoons and evenings, with the twinkly fairy lights aglow, a roaring fire to stay cosy, and friends dropping in for chat, crochet and nibbles.  Jacky Ginge was pleased!


We popped to see family, braving the awful weather (but how lucky we are compared with those poor souls without power or suffering from the floods), and I sat and hand stitched the Christmas quilt binding until it was finished for a shot of the three generations.  (The quilt in the background was my Christmas gift to my in-laws a few years back.) 


All too soon, for the run up to Christmas Day is really the best bit, I think, it was time to be off to church for the Christingle service.  We can still get away with this with the Munchkin but it is getting harder to take a cute shot each year! 


Finally, everything was ready for the big day.  I don't think Father Christmas came down the chimney in this room!


Looking at the tree, he'd clearly visited, though.  Phew, we must have been good.


Fun was had, tearing off all those time consuming wrappings, more quickly by some younger members than others!  How fortunate we are, everyone very happy with the lovely things thoughtfully chosen for them.  Vorey didn't seem so keen on his bow.


Charlie Boy went for tinsel this year...


By the end of the day, they'd clearly had enough!


We enjoyed a fabulous lunch.  All my meat was sent packed in ice, by overnight courier from Bridport, which was just fantastic.  We pulled crackers, wore silly paper hats as one must, and generally ate far too much, all under the watchful eye of Her Royal Highness.




We've had a thoroughly wonderful Christmas and now it is admittedly rather nice to have a well-earned rest!


I've packed away the Christmas fabrics and trims and had a good tidy up in the Den.  I'm ready for a New Year and lots of fabulous new crafty projects.  I do hope you'll share it with me. Xxx

48 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a most wonderful Christmas
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks wonderful but an image there took me right back to decorating the house with my mum back in the seventies - the twisted crepe paper garland! Have a well earned rest (we've got a houseful this afternoon - humbug!) x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hen
    A feast for the eyes here, I loved it, thanks for the show and tell. My favourite was your dining room pic, I love crepe paper streamers and we also gave into the tinsel over pictures a couple of years back after vowing never to go there again. Elderly tinsel is so lovely and hard to resist though isn't it. I hope I can keep the inspiration of your cakes in my mind for a whole year to give me the kick up the bum to make one next year. They look wonderful. My mum always makes the cakes and gives us one so there was no need. She had to leave out the peel as I hate it, pah. This year she burnt it and so had to get a shop bought one, The little figures went on the chocolate log instead.
    Happy New Year to you all. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. You deserve a rest, your Christmas was full of wonderful makes. I too love the Christmas cakes of old, yours does remind me of the ones we used to have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely as ever, glad to see you all had a lovely time, It has been very Hectic here our Visiters go home tomorrow and although I have loved having them here for babies first Christmas I am looking forward to a bit of peace and quiet and getting my sewing room back ! Have a very Happy New Year, Mim xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely as ever, glad to see you all had a lovely time, It has been very Hectic here our Visiters go home tomorrow and although I have loved having them here for babies first Christmas I am looking forward to a bit of peace and quiet and getting my sewing room back ! Have a very Happy New Year, Mim xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belated Christmas wishes Hen. I am glad you had a good one! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always enjoy your posts and pictures. Have a happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 3 tired happy cats...perfect!
    Thank you for sharing all your wonderful Chrimbo loveliness; it all looks so beautiful.
    Enjoy the rest of the festive season and all the very best for 2014!
    Z xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I truly, truly loved this post of all your beautiful Christmas holiday! Your home looks lovely and all your projects turned out so gorgeous. I didn't do as much decorating as I usually do and hope this isn't a peek of things to come. I know I am getting old, but I do want to keep up the decorating. But I so enjoyed seeing your home and family enjoying all the loveliness you invented for them. May 2014 bring you and yours many blessings and much happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've had such a beautiful Christmas, Helen! I can't believe all the work you got done, especially that gorgeous Christmas quilt. I love the photo of three generations, they all look alike to me. I'm glad you had a good holiday and I wish you a happy and healthy 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely Christmas...beautiful quilt!

    Happy New Year,

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an awesome Christmas!!! Hope you have a fabulously happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful as ever, thank you for sharing with us, it all looks so beautifully cosy and welcoming. We spent a lovely day with my daughter, SIL and thier now grown up boys. We came home and thoroughly enjoyed spending the evening with the ladies of Call the midwife and later we we enjoyed the goings on with our friends from Downton Abbey. In the words of Pop Larkin, purfick!

    I must say though I do wish Mr Barrow would come a resounding cropper as they say here oop north lol.

    Enjoy your weekend

    Peg xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful times! And thank you for showing it to us - love seeing Munchkin and all three of the kitties too. The photo of the three young men - lovely! Have a happy and crafty new year!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Christmas looks fantastic! I meant to get so much more made than I actually managed to finish, but then I guess there's always next year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely to hear about your Christmas, I rather fancy a slice of the cake! Missed you three at Chipping Sodbury this year, looking forward to reading about all your wonderful adventures in 2014! Love the Blue Lady xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hen I loved reading your blog, always my favourite read. Thank you for all the fabulous posts you have written this year, I am so glad that I found your blog and etsy shop. You are an inspiration to me and I have decided to try and tiny quilt this year as one of my resolutions, here's hoping that it will be the tiniest bit like your masterpieces. Have a wonderful time Hen
    Big Happy New Year Hugs
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh merry belated Christmas to you sweet Hen family. Your house looks perfectly festive and cosy, glad you had a lovely time. We just love the picture of your pussy cat threesome sleeping off their Christmas dinner on the couch.

    Julie and Poppy Q
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your Christmas looked divine from start to finish! Ours was wonderful too.. pop over to my blog and see if you have a few minutes to spare.

    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*
      *H*A*P*P*Y* *N*E*W* *Y*E*A*R*!*
    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing your delightful Christmas with us all. So many sweet photos. The one of the Munchkin made me laugh! I hope my wee nephew grows up to be a lovely boy too. Belated Christmas wishes to you xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for sharing your delightful Christmas with us all. So many sweet photos. The one of the Munchkin made me laugh! I hope my wee nephew grows up to be a lovely boy too. Belated Christmas wishes to you xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fabulous time you've had. Look forward to joining you in the New Year. Jacqui xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing your delightful Christmas with those you love. As always, I look forward to seeing what you get up to in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely, lovely, lovely.
    There is just so much in this Blog. Thank you so much for all the time and effort that you put into it.
    I really look forward to reading.
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVE that Irish Chain quilt! I spent some time over the holiday doing a bit of stitching too, whilst watching the awful tv . And lovely family photos, they just depict what Christmas should be all about. And by the way I am TOTALLY with you about christmas cake decorating - proper old fashioned icing done rough peaks style, and old santas and snowmen brought out year on year. None of this sickly, chewy modern roll-on icing for me!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Merry Christmas Hen! And thank you for sharing with us your lovely crafty delights through 2013!
    Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Merry Christmas Hen! And thank you for sharing with us your lovely crafty delights through 2013!
    Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Merry Christmas Hen! And thank you for sharing with us your lovely crafty delights through 2013!
    Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  30. You were certainly busy in the Christmas run-up!
    Thanks for sharing all your lovely festive photos too and here's to a crafty 2014! xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. It was fun reading about your Christmas. Fun, festivities and family. What more could one want.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely post! Love Her Royal Highness portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks like you all had a wonderful time!! Really lovely photos, all of them.
    Love the pot holders, and the cakes, can't beat traditional decoration!!
    Wishing you all a very Happy New Year
    Love to all
    Linda O xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  34. So in love with that bauble pot holder! And everything else looked fabulous as always! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The best thing? your display of little houses all lit up on your mantle piece it looked absolutely magical! a beautiful idea, thank you for sharing your photos of Christmas. Wishing you all the best for next year, hope to drag myself to the stag again soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Loved seeing your Christmas celebration! Your Christmas quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I found your blog today. It was so very nice looking in your life, in your very cozy house and to see all the beautiful things you make!
    Happy new year from Gonny, a Dutch women living in Sweden with her husband and her little doggy.
    Bye!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Glad you had a great Christmas and I hope that 2014 is everything you want it too be

    ReplyDelete
  39. Looks like a fantastic Christmas. Happy new year, I hope 2014 brings you everything you wish for xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your Christmas sounds wonderful. Wishing you a very Happy New Year. x

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a lovely and sweet Christmas you had! Wishing you a Happy New Year! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  42. Looks like a wonderful holiday. Love the Cath K festive tableware! Wishing youa very happy 2014,
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  43. I enjoyed your lovely post. Thank you and Happy and healthy 2014

    ReplyDelete
  44. Just catching up on my blogs Hen! Happy New Year my dear, I've loved this post ... So festive and jolly. The Christmas cakes look wonderful and remind me also of the ones from my childhood ... a good old snow scene beats the 'arty' cakes produced nowadays hands down!

    Have a lovely weekend

    Love Claire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  45. Just so lovely. Every beautiful bit. I especially love those Christmas cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Enjoyed visiting some of your old posts tonight too! Your home at Christmas in 2009 was lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh, someday I will celebrate Christmas in England! I so long to do so! It looked like you had a wonderful time. Happy New Year, Hen!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Lovely blog Hen, as always, and look like you had a very jolly Christmas.

    Saw this today and thought of you! http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/0-9/1940s-knitting-patterns/
    I don't know if you have seen it already but if not, I'm sure you will enjoy looking through these 1940's knitting patterns.

    Enjoy,

    Karen x

    P.S. I hope you don't mind that I posted this here but I couldn't seem to find a way of sending it to you privately. :)

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X