Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Hats Off

Rewinding back a few weeks, I found myself at the crafty purveyor  Stag and Bow, you'll have read about them here before.  I was here not to teach a workshop myself this time, but to take part in one.  I do like to do this sort of thing, it's a chance to immerse yourself in craftiness with like minded souls and learn some new skills at the same time.  
This workshop was being taken by Mary Jane Baxter.  You may know her as a BBC journalist or you may know her as a milliner who has published several books, including the most recent "The Modern Girls' Guide to Hatmaking".  Mary Jane's style is heavily influenced by vintage so was promising to be right up my street. The table was laden with a tantalising array of materials of all sorts; feathers, lace, fabric, buttons, even pipe cleaners.


Stag and Bow have had some of Mary Jane's work displayed in the shop and I had fallen in love with these headbands. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend the previous workshop to make those but I have bought the book (which shows you how to make these) so that's one for another time.  Mary Jane is very generous with her materials and her knowledge and there's a list of suppliers in the back of the book.


We were making a fascinator, another project in Mary Jane's book.  It looked very interesting and impressive but I have to be honest that I couldn't really see myself wearing something with all those fabulous feathers.  Yikes!



We started with a base on which to build up our own fascinator using all the materials at our fingertips.  Oh, the choice.  I covered my black sinamay base with a stretchy lace in maroon and decided to add a small veil which Mary Jane showed us how to make, including those fab little furry dots.



I was pondering the sequins when my eyes settled on a little bunch of vintage millinery flowers.  I love that sort of thing and have quite a collection myself, as you know.  I tentatively tried them against the base I'd made and was chuffed to see what a cute match they made.  From there, my piece was transformed.   Mary Jane showed me how to shape and cut down some large black feathers which I slotted between the ditsy flowers. I watched with interest, though, as she showed us how to curve and curl the large pheasant feathers.  Skills squirrelled away for another day.  I was really pleased with how my creation turned out and it just goes to show, you can always put your own spin on things.


Let's hope that in the future I have a glamorous event to attend and make use of my pretty fascinator!


19 comments:

  1. Goodness me, this is so pretty! Just wear it for the sake of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely, it is very pretty and there's no law against wearing it any time you want to. You look fabulous in it, I am very jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this I would wear. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a charming fascinator and you look lovely in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your fascinator is lovely and so you. I've seen some of Mary Jane's before, which are all so beautiful. Unfortunately I don't have the right hair to wear one myself,

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful and perfectly you!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hats off to you! Your fascinator is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! and you look stunning!
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your fascinator is truly amazing and looks very vintage. Well done Hen. Philippa xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your fascinator is fantastic! :) Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's just lovely: I'm sure you will find the perfect vintage event to show it off!

    Jenn@JennsCraftyWorld

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hen how adorable and so you. You made such a lovely job of your hat and you will look fabulous at your next do. I would love to come to one of these workshops - it looks as if you had such fun. Big hugs to you Hen
    Lots of love as always
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks amazing - I too would struggle with the long feathered one! You need to search out an appropriate event to where it to - :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's beautiful Hen & looks gorgeous on you. Sounds like you had a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Learned a new term: fascinator. I wonder what is the origin of such a festive accessory? I've always thought the idea of the hat veil was very alluring. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seu enfeite de cabeça ficou lindíssimo e perfeito em você. Tenho certeza que não faltará oportunidade para você usá-lo.:))Bjs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can see you wearing that, and looking stunning in it!

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X