Wednesday, 4 December 2013

Smashing Selvedge

As promised, I couldn't let the week pass without popping back to share my trip to the Selvedge Fair at Chelsea Old Town hall last Friday.  The fair now stretches over two days (Friday and Saturday) and is held in a lovely old hall, full to the brim with stall holders and well heeled shoppers!  It was certainly busy on Friday morning.

The first stall I encountered in the foyer was that of an old favourite, Made in Hastings.  I am a big fan of Claire Fletcher's work and I would dearly love one of her angel dolls.  One day.  This time, I had to be content with an ogle and I did buy some jolly Christmas themed badges.  Not sure what I am going to do with them - yet!


Along the hallway, was a stall right up my street, full of vintage trims and fabrics.  The buttons on the cards looked very pretty but I came away with some 1950's fabric for the stash.


I bought some more oddments of antique fabric and bits of Durham quilt from Sallie Ead's stall, a lady I often see at fairs in the West Country.  Watch this space as I have Christmassy projects in mind for those.


Jess Quinn's stall was a delight, with her quirky handmade dolls and I loved the felt baubles, too.


Sarah Strachan is a lady I've met at the last couple of Selvedge fairs and I love her work.  I bought a kit to make these cute pixie dolls.


She has a knack of creating very cute scenes with her fairies but it's all the little details I delight in: that dinky crocheted blanket on the bed and the little wrapped presents.


I eventually found an old friend in Viv of Hen's Teeth whose stall looked really beautiful.  It was clear she'd worked long and hard on the gorgeous stitchy items she had for sale.


Her new toadstool designs were looking particularly cute and into my shopping bag went a few goodies: a Christmas present and some embroidered scraps from Viv's workbox to make some treasures of my own.


Just across from Viv, I found Ellie Evans.  I am a fan of her stitched work, too.  I most like the very individual pieces she makes inside old cutlery boxes.



Inside the main hall, I found Jessie Chorley, and you will know if you've read this blog a while that I am a big fan of her work and have attended a few of her workshops.  Her stall was a veritable feast for the eyes.


I particularly loved her new sewing themed brooches, needlecases and pin cushions.  I wouldn't mind finding those in my stocking! Just in case, I couldn't resist bringing home a "Pins" brooch which actually opens out into  miniature needle case.  



Finally, I was pleased to find that The Magpie and The Wardrobe also had a stall at the fair this time.  I received one of their quirky necklaces as a gift a few years ago and the stall looked enchanting.  


It was difficult to capture on camera, but a little old cabinet had been transformed into a dolls house.


Inside, dolly was in bed, waiting for Christmas morning, no doubt!


I had an absolutely marvellous time at the Fair.  It really is of the highest quality.  Most of my purchases were raw materials which I can use in creations of my own but I did find a few handmade goodies slipped into my bag.  Whilst I can make many things myself, I always like to support the work of fellow makers and my purchasers are lovely mementoes of a super day out.  I'm looking forward to getting my hands stuck into these goodies soon.


The next Selvedge fair is on at the beginning of April, so do check the magazine or website for details.

15 comments:

  1. WOW! What a feast for the eyes ... and purse! I have never heard of this fair but will definitely try to go next year. M x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful day out Hen and so many talented people. I love the cabinet made into the dolls house. Looking forward to seeing what you do with your goodies you purchased.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing... some good treasure found to play with there... really nice buttons, 50's fabric and oh how I'd love to be able to see one of Viv's and Jessie Chorley's stalls one day.. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a huge Selvedge fan, and have been to one of their fabulous fairs. Maybe I will be able to get to the Spring 2014 Fair. The current location seems perfect...remember going to antiques shows there ages ago.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a lovely day
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I noticed the lovely brooch on Tuesday ! I love the the collection you bought and look forward to seeing what you will create with them, the fair looks lovely I might have to go to the next one ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a fun time you must have had at the fair! I would have been in "My height of glory"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so envious....wish I could have gone to that. Jacqui x

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many beautiful things!!
    Thanks for sharing, I love that you take the time to take lots of photos for those of us (who read your blog), who are to far from London to visit.
    Thanks Hen
    Linda O xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Hen what lovely photos thank you so much. I have badly wanted to go to this event for so long now and am determined to get to the next one. Your taste in stalls very much matches mine so it was a big treat for me to see all these lovely things. I must admit I would have probably spent a fortune had I gone this time as I am sure you did. Thanks for a fab post as always Hen, you know that I follow your blog avidly and look forward to your news. Have a wonderful weekend and big hugs
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a fantastic fair with some lovely goodies. I love Claire Fletcher's work too. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this looks amazing. I would have been broke leaving there. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems like the most perfect place to be. I would feel like in a fairy tale!So much vintage stuff and so many skillful crafters all in a majestic hall...oh! my.
    Hugs,Angie***

    ReplyDelete
  14. Missed you and a few of the other regulars at chipping sodbury...wasn't the same this time :(

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X