Wednesday, 8 January 2014

Fresh : The Feedsack Frames Quilt

Hello readers. May I wish you all a very Happy New Year. I hope it is already looking up for you. I'm not a one for resolutions at New Year, myself. I'm just looking forward to starting a new quilt!  

This week, I've felt the need to treat myself.  New year, new materials, that's been my motto, so I've dug deep in my piggy bank.  I've nearly finished the scarf I've been making for Mr HH (it was meant to be for Christmas but I ran out of yarn), I've finished numerous cowls and posted one to my mum for her birthday today, and I am officially parking my Christmas blanket until next year.  So, I decided to allow myself a little yarny influx for a new project.  Happy days.



The reason I can start a new quilt is that I've just finished another.  Depending on how long you have been reading my blog and how good your memory is (and it will need to be quite good!) you may recall me starting this project. If you don't or you need a refresher, you can read about it here. I'm afraid to say, I think it was almost two years ago.  So for those of you who think I work really quickly, there you go!  With a trip to the cottage looming, I needed to decide what crafty project to take and  decided it was time to finally finish my "quilt on the go" quilt.  I dug out the sixteen blocks needed to make the quilt and found only two needed hand quilting.  I laid out the blocks whilst I had the advantage of the huge table in my quilting room and labelled them up, ready to sew them together once the hand quilting had been completed. 


 I had a little help, of the furry ginger kind, along the way. 



I set myself up a makeshift quilting den at the cottage and pottered away quite happily joining the blocks together.


I'm pleased to say I got the quilt put together and just needing the binding by the time we left the cottage on New Year's Day.  I auditioned a few bindings back in the Den and settled on a jaunty red number. 

This quilt has become quite well travelled.  I recently went over for a lovely crafternoon with my Instagram friend Erin and it seems a certain furry friend of hers rather took a liking to my quilt and my lap!  Certainly no complaints from me.  Isn't she gorgeous.



Back in front of the fire at home, it seems another kitty was not disinterested in this quilt, either.  It is always a pleasure to sit and hand stitch the binding at this time of year. It certainly keeps you warm as you sit underneath it, putting in those final teeny neat stitches round the edge.  I just don't understand people who spend hours lovingly putting a quilt together then machine stitch the binding down but each to their own.


I'm digressing a little here and showing you another bit of making, or rather "make do and mending" that has been going on.  On Sunday, it was time to take down the Christmas decorations and with that, put away the festive cushion covers and get my beloved flowery barkcloth ones back out.  Sadly, the beautiful fabric had sprung a few little tears.  Rather than make new covers, I decided these ones had a little more life in them so using lovely vintage fabrics from my stash, I set about patching them. I was aided by the fact that on Christmas Day, I had opened a gorgeous bundle of vintage fabrics gifted to me by Mr HenHouse.  Swoon.



Do you know, I think I love my cushions just as much with their patchwork plasters.  I'm almost hoping to have to add to them and I don't mind confessing that I may have added one or two entirely gratuitously.


Back to the matter in hand then.  There was clearly no likelihood that I was going to be able to treat my newly finished quilt to its ta-dah moment on the washing line outside, as has become customary.  In a rare sunny moment the other day, I seized the chance to take a few snaps indoors.  Charlie Boy was most bemused.


I got ambitious and perched on a kitchen stool to take another!  I quite like seeing it from this vantage point.


The fabrics for the front were a real mix taken from my stash.  However, I felt the fabrics had a feedsack influence, hence the name of the quilt.  They are all modern, reproduction fabrics, though.  I backed it with a cute Cath Kidston print.  I'm not sure if this is still available as I bought it half price in the sale a good while back.


There was only one problem with the new location for my snapping session.  It seems one furry friend still had to have his turn with the new quilt.


In fact, he has taken rather a shine to it.


Here's his sheepish (cat) face.


It was inevitable, really.  At least he's got good taste!  It seems this cosy quilt is a kitty magnet. 



I hope you have enjoyed my indoor quilty reveal.  I'm now inspired to think I can show you more of the quilts I have made over the Winter right now, rather than having to wait until Summer.  I have another two at least.  But for now, I'm going to start another. Xxx


P.S.  A little request, please.  I see a lot of my photographs taken from this blog appearing on Pinterest.  This is absolutely fine but please make sure that either the original link back to this blog remains with the image or that you mention in the description that HenHouse is the source of the image.  It is a little frustrating to see so many of my photos not properly credited and I have begun formally requesting Pinterest that they be removed.  I know the vast majority of you do respect my copyright for which I'm very grateful, so please make sure my images are properly credited. X




39 comments:

  1. beautiful beautiful beautiful. You're so right about pinterest. I tend not to pin things unless directly from a blog or site with a link back. I hate it when I see something I like and try and get back to the site only to be sent to tumblr on a wild goose chase. michellemadethis.blogspot.com (I somehow have my blog linked to my google plus and can't work out how to go back to linking to my blog when posting :O(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt - I think you have really special quilt testers.
    Julie xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt and I love the little patches on the cushion.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found your blog a little while ago and really love your quilt! Can't wait to see what else you are working on! Have a great day and thanks for the inspiration!
    Mickie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year to you and your family too! Your quilt is looking rather lovely, as is that very fab basket of colourful yarn :O)x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is beautiful, Helen. I think it's so sweet that every cat in your life is in love with it. I've just started making a table runner with feedsack/30's reproduction fabrics and I really love them. The colors and the prints are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is fab and I love the patches on your cushions.
    Happy New Year to you all.
    hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is divine! Such beautiful fabrics....it's so sweet that all your cats have found it so comfy!
    Happy New Year, Caroline xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. A simply gorgeous and sweet quilt!! Happy day to you! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet, sweet pussies and what a fabulous quilt... clever Mr too... Happy New Year to you and yours . Cx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's gorgeous Helen: your home is just bursting with Spring it seems - so nice to see as I look outside and see nothing but snow, snow, snow!

    Jenn @JennsCraftyWorld

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely - beautiful quilt and cats. Purrfect! You must be very proud of that quilt, it is so very pretty. Just love the way cats always have to inspect a new soft comforting item. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your quilt is beautiful - and what a good idea. I must look out for the book. Me thinks it will be a good way to tackle hand quilting for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful blog, i love your different colour chairs in your cottage! best wishes jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous reveal and I am so impressed with your quilt- it is utterly beautiful and so intricate. Your fabrics and little patch-ettes are gorgeous and I'd have been totally unable to choose which one of the bundle your hubby gave you to use. The furry buddies made me laugh, what a seal of approval. I've probably not made anything that didn't need to be tugged from under a fluffy friend at some point but I just reckon it is a seal of approval.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi There Hen, What's not to love about this post?!!! A beautiful quilt, nice pillows, creative writing and cute kitties!!! Just a few of my favourite things!!! Have a fab weekend!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cat-approved and simply beautiful. What more could one want in a quilt ?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilts are lovely but I couldn't believe it when I saw the photo of your friend Erins gorgeous little cat. My cat Harry could be a twin, they look exactly alike. I might think that Harry took a little holiday except that we live nearly at the bottom of Australia. Too far for a cat to fly don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  19. It really is a kitty magnet! Love the make do and mend cushions :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely Quilt, Vorey is a star, beautiful photos as always :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. The finished result is lovely and I loved seeing it in your makeshift sewing room at the cottage. Well done Mr HenHouse with that choice of present. I wish my Best Beloved was similarly inclined. Philippa xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful quilt with gorgeous fabrics! And your cats are so cute. Just like my Max...he likes to claim my new quilts or wip quilts! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. What can I say after what has already been written! I love the blanket, I love the sunshine it brings and the fabric is simply gorgeous. I had to smile at the cats giving it the thumbs up, if I want to photograph my projects Mr B has to stand by on dog patrol. Put a quilt/ blanket down and its fair game lol.

    Thank you for brightening my day.

    Peg xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! Love the quilt and the cats! I do use Pinterest a lot but find that the only image that will pin is the first one, so will make sure when I start a blog, which I'm planning to do soon, that I put the main or 'best' image first. If I really want to pin another image I open it in a new tab and pin from there, but then it doesn't link back (I'm sure you know all this), so I make sure I name the blog. However, this can mean an image or post is still very difficult to find, so I'm now going to make sure I always also give the post title and most importantly the date, which should make it much easier to locate a post. Just a few thoughts! Best wishes for a very Happy New Year! Jen (On Pinterest Qunce&Pippin - do tell me if I haven't tagged anything correctly)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful quilt. I love the bright cheery colours.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful....cute kittie too! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well done, Mr. HenHouse! Your new quilt is lovely. No wonder the kitties like it so much. You're so lucky to be able to shop for Cath Kidston! I can order online, but it's not quite the same experience.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Another beautiful quilt, I think it's one of my favourites. Love the binding!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Helen what a fabulous post, I do look forward to reading your news and seeing your lovely photographs and you always come up with such wonderful images. I adore your quilt it is so lovely and I agree about the binding. Helen I am really looking forward to reading your 2014 posts, have a fabulous weekend. Big hugs to you Helen
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just love your blog. The quilt is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thats a beautiful quilt, well done. May I just ask though, how did you join the back seams? Obviously with a normal quilt you'd have the backing in one piece so with this you'd have as many seams at the back as the front, so how did you join them all into one? Just curious as it looks like a good idea I'd like to try - I've never actually made a quilt yet but I've got one all cut out and ready to go and I'm now considering trying this block by block method, looks more manageable to me! Happy New year. x

    ReplyDelete
  32. A gorgeous quilt. I totally agree with you about hand stitching bindings. I love that part of the process as much as the hand quilting. We had a beautiful black and white cat called Koshka - hence my choice of Flickr name Koshka2! Sadly he died 8 years ago but I well remember him snuggling on my lap right in the middle of the quilt whilst I hand quilted or sewed bindings!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful artwork with the quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Me encantan las fotografías, son geniales. Ha estado un regalo el visitar tu bloc, te invito visitar el mio y si te gusta espero que te hagas seguidora.
    Elracodeldetall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Gorgeous quilt. I thought it could look also lovely in Liberty as well! I also wondered (like Marksgran) what QAYG technique you used? Did you have joining seams at the back? Your work is always beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You do beautiful work - thank you for sharing. I was wondering (like Marksgran) what QAYG technique you used. The front of your quilt looks lovely, and I wasn't sure how you'd done the back. Do you hand-stitch the back seams closed? Did you join the batting in any way. It's a great way to make quilting manageable (and more portable!).

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X