Monday, 10 February 2014

Home Sweet Home: The Shower Room Makeover

Howdy readers.  I come to you today with alternative tales of hope and woe!  You see one reason I have been a bit busy of late is that we've embarked on a room makeover here at the HenHouse.  And what do you know, it hasn't gone exactly to plan.  Are you sitting comfortably?  Do you have a cup of tea (I might have something stronger!)  Then let's begin.


We've been here in my beloved HenHouse for getting on nine years now and having moved about a fair bit whilst I was studying, this is the longest I've been in one place (barring my parents' home way back).  We've done our bit to put our stamp on most rooms in the house and it was becoming glaringly obvious that we needed to turn our attention to our ground floor shower room which looked as it did when we moved in.  Despite having added in a few girly bits, there was no getting away from those grim black tiles and blue painted walls (can you tell we bought our home from a single bloke?)  It was making the room very dark and the fittings were also looking dated and not to our taste.


I must stress though, that this project was intended to be a bit of a revamp.  It was NOT meant to be a blow-the-budget, rip-everything-out and have-the-bathroom-of-your-dreams type make over.  I'd been pondering our new scheme some time with the help of my trusty Pinterest boards.  The boiler cupboard needed to stay, the loo was ok and could stay too, as could the floor.  But the rest needed attention on a tightish budget.


Somebody else obviously liked the mirror and wash basin as they went onto Ebay and soon found a new home.  I do like a bit of recycling and I was happy to have a few pennies for my revamp pot.


My trusty handyman arrived ready for action at the beginning of January.  An auspicious start; New Year : new shower room.  He's worked his magic on our kitchen, other shower room, bedroom and sitting room and probably some other areas besides.  I must make good tea and cakes as he keeps coming back.  

Day one and the official ripping out ceremony went well.  Hurrah. Be gone manky old shower unit! Every blow of the chisel to those black tiles was sweet indeed.


Will you be surprised if I tell you that it wasn't long before disaster struck.  Living in a nearly 140 year old house is largely a pleasure.  I can while away many an hour admiring the intricate coving and ceiling roses, lighting fires in the beautiful cast iron fireplaces with their marble surrounds and loving the light which floods through the huge sash windows.  But with a house this old, there are nearly aways surprises waiting for you when you start looking underneath.  Aaarrgghh! In this case, it was moisture in the walls.  The old shower had definitely been leaking.  Oh pants.  So off came all the old plaster.  Steve-the-Handyman is not looking too impressed either at this stage.  The dust, oh you wouldn't have believed the incredibly fine dust and how it managed to travel up three flights of stairs.


It was definitely a case of looking worse before it got better.


Meanwhile, I'd spent a lot of time on the internet sourcing all the new items we needed at the best prices for the shower room.  They started to arrived and occupy other rooms in the house.  There was no getting away from the new project.


In my head, my vision for the new shower room definitely was going to be clean and bright and fresh but with a vintage edge, of course.  I decided not to go all out girly (so hard!) and a bit of an Art deco influence emerged amongst the images which attracted me.


(Image: englishtapware.com.au)

Certain features were added to the "desirables" list.  I really wanted an old cabinet to paint and put a wash basin on but I couldn't find anything I liked, I wasn't prepared to shell out for a new one which wouldn't have that old look I wanted anyway, so I ended up going for a regular basin which I got a really good deal on.  Something square and sturdy.  When we went to Pickering back in October, we stayed in a lovely country house hotel in Malton and the bathrooms were stunning.  Very restrained and neutral but classy.  I decided to go for the same tiles they had there.  Can't beat a brick tile.  Good and cheap, too.

(Image: wallsandfloors.co.uk)

This room doesn't have a bath but it's quite a good size, so I felt we could go for a sizeable shower, probably a walk-in type with clean lines but hopefully a bit of a wow factor.  Something easy to clean, too.  I saw this one in John Lewis which I rather liked and it had the advantage of being made by a quality British manufacturer from whom we'd bought an enclosure before.  I wasn't going to pay John Lewis prices though, so I went through the manufacturer direct.

(Snapped in John Lewis!)

Whilst I was out and about in the shopping centre, I may have picked up a few little accessories, just to keep me going.


Other images were grabbing me.  I liked the idea of some wall lights.  Finding some wasn't so easy as they had to be special IP44 rated ones, suitable for use near water in a bathroom.  This really cut down my options, as did price.  Vintage mirrors?  Oh yes, I love those anyway, that was pretty much a given and I had two to choose from already.  I paid the same for my vintage mirror as I sold the other old one on Ebay.  Good stuff.

 (Image: housetohome.co.uk)

There definitely had to be a bit of a vintage vibe going on.  I also wanted one of those wooden wall cabinets (inspired by Nikki and her lovely collections at Nostalgia at the Stonehouse).

 (Image: theguardian.com)

Lace, there definitely needed to be lace in there somewhere.

 (Image: sonjabannick.de/tinehouse)

Walls-wise, they were mainly going to be tiled in the wet areas and otherwise, painted in a pale colour. I wanted a feature wall though, and plumped for wallpaper.  I thought nothing too pink, twee or floral.  This is my idea of that!  (From good ole' Cath K.)


Meanwhile, and at least three weeks in, the shower room still looked like a no-go zone.


I carried on my planning regardless.  I had pinned an image which had gorgeous old vintage cream wallpaper with blowsy roses on it but what I really liked was the door surround picked out in a contrasting paint.  So off I went to my local trade paint shop to play with colours.  Always sweet agony deciding.


Finally, things started to look a lot cleaner and the tiles were going up.


I got my hands dirty too.  The poor dining room became my painting den as I set to it, transforming some old wooden furniture I had found thriftily.  (The little set of drawers is not for the shower room.  I have other plans for those, oh yes indeedy.)




I do not want to see any paint again for quite some time.

Unfortunately, here we are at the start of week 6 and the shower room still isn't finished.  I'm hoping (again) that it's now a matter of days.  Things have really moved on though and as of today, most of the decorating has been done bar the odd final coat here and there.  I'm liking how it is looking.


It is definitely looking a lot lighter (although it is again a very dull and rainy day here).  I'm doing my best to keep the faith and see the finishing line.


I certainly haven't been idle and I'm itching to get that wooden cupboard on the wall and play with arranging my stockpiled vintage goodies.  I've enjoyed visiting flea markets and making a few Ebay purchases as well as bringing together some pretty bits I already had elsewhere in the house.


Let's hope it's not too long before I can show you how everything has come together.

Fingers crossed. Xxx

33 comments:

  1. It's going to be so pretty! I'm excited to see it. I've been through a DIY bathroom reno and it was horrible. I honestly believe it was the greatest test of our marriage in twelve years. Luckily, it was early years. :) We have old shower doors in this house and I'd love to replace them so it was nice to see what you picked. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the finished room, love the colors you've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love a new bathroom..... I'll keep watching yours to get ideas - lol! We are the only second owner, and have been living in our house for twentyfour years, a house that was built 1950. The only original things are the floorboards which are painted round the edge, and we have an original piece of lino under one of the fitted carpets and two toilet cisterns. Low mounted which was unusual for that time but the design is wonderful, square art deco style.
    Julie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean when it comes to older homes. Work hardly ever goes as you thought it would!
    I love those metro tiles too. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's looking good so far and I bet the finished product will be lovely!
    We have the same CK wallpaper for our bedroom in the green colour way, although its been sitting in rolls on the floor for over a year waiting for one of us to summon up the mental strength to get cracking on hanging it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am rather envious ... I have the ugliest bathroom ever and have been waiting thirteen years to have it changed. My man says this is the year that it will happen ... I'm not holding my breath!! M x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So so exciting....are you going to display your pretty vintage make-up too?
    ....now Hen you really are a tease!
    I made a cup of tea to read this and read it very slowly because I knew there would be a happy 'Hen-ding' ...
    I am very frustrated at this delay and will have to open the wine to compensate and its only 5.50pm!
    Please let us know as soonest as poss when the action gets going again!!
    bestest as ever
    daisy j. xxx
    Ps funnily enough I have posted a renovation today too?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a good old makeover. As to dust when we renovated our house I was glad i was not living there at the time. That said the dust did seem to follow us home ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved reading your post as I'm also into week six of a shower room project that was expected to be "a week and a half" ! I have brick tiles too with birdie wallpaper and vintage mirrors and all sorts of goodies ready and waiting. Can't wait to see your final room x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is going to look AMAZING!!! Loving the transformation already. Thanks for all that wonderful eye candy along the way too. Some gorgeous bathrooms that's provided some inspiration! Goodluck with it all xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's lovely. My hubby has been working on our bathroom for about 9 months--almost finished now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I say...what a task to undergo! I honestly cannot wait to see the finished shower room with all your lovely vintage touches everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to see the end result, I'm sure it will look fabulous. I'm just getting into pinterest and enjoy looking at your pics on there! Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely post Hen! Super inspiration as I'm hoping our bathroom will be done this year! Love the Blue Lady x

    ReplyDelete
  15. How exciting...can't wait to see the finished room. I adore the gorgeous CK wallpaper :)
    Caroline xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. How exciting and what an inspiration! I love the tiles and wallpaper, so beautiful! I can't wait to see the finished result xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I can't wait to see it! It will be so lovely!! Love all your inspiration and pretties you will be putting in there! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looking good- can't wait to see the final outcome! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely post, Hen. I love how you take us through, step by step xx
    Your shower room is going to look amazing when its finished, your chosen wallpaper is so pretty and I bet when you have all your other 'bits and bobs' in there it will look beautiful.
    Love Linda O xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. It'll look great once it's finished, well worth it :) x

    ReplyDelete
  21. And it all looked so straight forward to begin with :-(

    It will be worth it in the end though, I'm loving the look of how it's developing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So exciting! Can't wait to see the finish (as are you, I'm sure). Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  23. The short jobs are always the worst- they never ARE short and take over the whole house.Black tiles...I recall a house we looked at when we were searching that had what is best described as an Addams Family bathroom, a brand new, only just fitted hunk of black. Grim! That house got struck off the list sharpish. It will be lovely...and even better, lovely and not leaky!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Have faith Hen. It is going to be beautiful when it is all done. You will want to move in there once it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looking forward to seeing the finished project. My hubby has been working on ours off and on since last year! He's doing a great job on it, I'd just like to have it done.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are kind to share these behind the scenes scenes with us, Hen. I am sure that there are many folks who are contemplating some similar home improvements who will get lots of courage and information from all you are reporting.

    (Bet that your furry kitty friends stayed well away from all this bathroom activiity.)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very exciting! Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  28. For goodness sake hen! here we all are slowly scrolling through, getting glimpses of the style, waiting for the wonderful finished piece, and then we get to the end and...
    That's on a par with the last page of a book missing. x

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's looking very good. I like the way you've used the images to convey what you are hoping to do in your own shower room. I get diy-envy from time to time as I live in a rented house, so have to put up with cream everything. I love seeing what everybody else does and dream of when I win the lottery and can buy myself my own home :) Til then I have to dream and ogle

    ReplyDelete
  30. And I thought my bedroom re-jig was causing me drama I think I should be grateful! I'm currently sitting at home waiting for IKEA delivery number 2 to replace a faulty one last week and then I need to borrow my parents car to go to a branch and pick up some extra bits that I couldn't get delivered this weekend! Oh the stress… it's quite exciting though putting it all together, not the furniture that is the designing it and seeing the room start to take shape.

    Victoria
    FlorenceandMary.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lovely Hen sorry I haven't commented earlier as I read your post the day it came out but life has been hectic with our tornado here! I know that your bathroom will all come together in a fabulous way Hen - we are just waiting for the builder to come and start our very old bathroom which is in a real need of modernisation so I have the upheaval that you are having waiting for me. I hope that you are enjoying a wonderful weekend, thank you for my lovely purse from your shop, I adore using it and am terrified of anything marking it so it is kept safe and sound in my bag - I love it so much. Sending you big hugs and loves
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Hen,
    Good to see the collection of treasures for the wall cupboard has grown...Lovely things to look at whilst relaxing in the tub is to be recommended :)
    Good luck with the makeover, Niki x

    ReplyDelete
  33. It looks like a HUGE project, I look forwards to seeing what it looks like when it is finished!

    ReplyDelete

You are warmly encouraged to leave a comment here. Your comments are emailed directly to me so rest assured I read and treasure every one. Thank you for supporting my blog with your comment. X